Home

Drawing a Walk in RTTS

This is a discussion on Drawing a Walk in RTTS within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1
Drawing a Walk in RTTS

I'm playing a RTTS now as a shortstop for the Giants. It's early in my first season and I'm starting for the AA team. I use veteran hitting dificulty. My avg and obp are in the .330's and am slugging around .410. In a little over 100 At-Bats I have 12 strike-outs and no walks.
One of my advancement goals now is to draw a couple of walks, so I'm trying to be more patient. Now a couple times in each of my last 3 games I've taken some pitches, fouled a couple off and worked the count full. The pitcher will then throw one right down the middle that I have to swing at. I've gotten a hit out of it sometimes, but it doesn't help in my advancement goal.
Any tips on how to draw the walk?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Patience at the plate is one thing. But the CPU has two other major factors to walk you: your discipline rating and how much the fear you.

CpU will walk you more if you have a higher plate discipline rating. Not by a huge margin, but you definitely see more balls.

Also the cpu gets your tendencies down. If you swing early a lot they'll throw more balls early in the count. If you always watch the first pitch they will throw a first pitch strike more. Try to switch up your approaches in the game. If you want that the first pitch in your first at bat try to take a pitch or two in your second. If you took pitches for your first couple of bats come to the third at bat ready for a fastball down the middle.

I know I said 2 things but there is 1 other factor. Fear. I have a power hitting third baseman and as soon as he became the cleanup hitter I started seeing more balls. Try to remember what your role is in the lineup. As a 4 hitter my job is to protect the top 3 in the lineup. It makes me more apt to swing at a 3-0 fastball. The cpu pitches to you as your role is defined. Search try to realize what your job in the lineup is and he will start hitting better and taking more walks in the right situations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

Re: Drawing a Walk in RTTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Patience at the plate is one thing. But the CPU has two other major factors to walk you: your discipline rating and how much the fear you.

CpU will walk you more if you have a higher plate discipline rating. Not by a huge margin, but you definitely see more balls.

Also the cpu gets your tendencies down. If you swing early a lot they'll throw more balls early in the count. If you always watch the first pitch they will throw a first pitch strike more. Try to switch up your approaches in the game. If you want that the first pitch in your first at bat try to take a pitch or two in your second. If you took pitches for your first couple of bats come to the third at bat ready for a fastball down the middle.

I know I said 2 things but there is 1 other factor. Fear. I have a power hitting third baseman and as soon as he became the cleanup hitter I started seeing more balls. Try to remember what your role is in the lineup. As a 4 hitter my job is to protect the top 3 in the lineup. It makes me more apt to swing at a 3-0 fastball. The cpu pitches to you as your role is defined. Search try to realize what your job in the lineup is and he will start hitting better and taking more walks in the right situations.

Thanks for the help. My discipline rating is pretty low, so that is probably part of it.
Thats a good idea, to change up the approach. I seem to end up taking the first pitch and swinging at the second most of the time. My idea in doing that was to get the timing on what the pitcher is throwing on the first pitch. I've been noticing though, that the first pitch which I've been taking is right down the middle and the second pitch is borderline or a breaking ball in the dirt.
I'm typically put in the 7 spot in the lineup. I know the typical roles for 1-5 spots in the lineup, but not really sure what mine shoud be at 7.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
Thanks for the help. My discipline rating is pretty low, so that is probably part of it.
Thats a good idea, to change up the approach. I seem to end up taking the first pitch and swinging at the second most of the time. My idea in doing that was to get the timing on what the pitcher is throwing on the first pitch. I've been noticing though, that the first pitch which I've been taking is right down the middle and the second pitch is borderline or a breaking ball in the dirt.
I'm typically put in the 7 spot in the lineup. I know the typical roles for 1-5 spots in the lineup, but not really sure what mine shoud be at 7.
At seven, if you have a good hitter at 6, your job is to protect him as best you can. If he walks, be looking to hit. But also get the pitchers pitch count up. So essentially, jack of all trades, master of none.

Keep hanging your approach up. That will help the most. If the scouting report on you in game is even (no tendencies) the cpu will have a tougher time gameplanning you. Hell, check out your own tendencies on the pause screen for different pitch counts during the game and go against them!

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

The sliders are your friend when it comes to drawing walks. One or two ticks in the cpu strike frequency and cpu pitcher consistency should do wonders for your walks without affecting the cpu pitcher too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Millennium,

Everyone should read, and re-read those two posts...especially the first one!

That's the gospel, right there!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhed
The sliders are your friend when it comes to drawing walks. One or two ticks in the cpu strike frequency and cpu pitcher consistency should do wonders for your walks without affecting the cpu pitcher too much.
I find a changing sliders is nothing more than a crutch for a bad approach. To each their own own default all star using analog hitting I walk 3 to 5 times a game in franchise (with the Orioles) and have 41 walks in just under 300 at bats between AA and AAA in RTTS.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Rookie

timmermac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhed
I'm actually more inclined to go with the rating theory, as I've got low discipline and vision ratings and the consistency and strike frequency sliders all the way to the left. Plus, I tend to swing at some absolutely crappy pitches from time to time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »