Home

Judging Pitches: Please help.

This is a discussion on Judging Pitches: Please help. within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

OVR: 5
Judging Pitches: Please help.

I searched around and found some threads about guess a pitch but nothing specific to Judging pitches period. If there are threads would someone please tell me?

What I am trying to figure out... well first let me say I must SUCK!

What I am trying to figure out is how to judge if a pitch is a strike or ball. I know many of you will think I am exaggerating but I seriously swing at every pitch because every pitch
looks like its in the zone. I just cannot figure out how to judge them.
I think my primary problem is that I cannot seem to see how a person can tell if a pitch is in the middle or way low or way outside and still hit the one in the middle.

It just seems that if I wait long enough to decide the ball is in the zone, its already in the zone and swinging becomes worthless.

Can anyone tell me some trade secrets on how to judge when a ball is going to be outside?
I am not looking for perfection, I just want to guess right 33% of the time.

Thanks and again if there are other threads please link them or tell me I ca find help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Judging Pitches: Please help.

First thing to do. Change the view to catcher 5. Then lower the pitch speed if you need to. I refuse to do this second part. Third, go into practice and go through the different modes. They help.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

i wish the czarisode hitting vid was still around from '09.

anyways, like mentioned before. go into practice mode and just watch the pitches. dont swing at all, just watch them. take mentals notes on how the ball travels and whether it was in the zone. the more pitches you watch, the more comfortable you will be.

next part is patience, this is obviously the hardest thing to do. take pitches till you get the one you want in the location you want. for example if your hotzone is middle away, then dont swing at anything unless its a fastball mid away.

it will come to you, so dont be over eager. work the counts, take pitches till they start throwing strikes.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
i wish the czarisode hitting vid was still around from '09.

anyways, like mentioned before. go into practice mode and just watch the pitches. dont swing at all, just watch them. take mentals notes on how the ball travels and whether it was in the zone. the more pitches you watch, the more comfortable you will be.

next part is patience, this is obviously the hardest thing to do. take pitches till you get the one you want in the location you want. for example if your hotzone is middle away, then dont swing at anything unless its a fastball mid away.

it will come to you, so dont be over eager. work the counts, take pitches till they start throwing strikes.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by twthomas
I searched around and found some threads about guess a pitch but nothing specific to Judging pitches period. If there are threads would someone please tell me?

What I am trying to figure out... well first let me say I must SUCK!

What I am trying to figure out is how to judge if a pitch is a strike or ball. I know many of you will think I am exaggerating but I seriously swing at every pitch because every pitch
looks like its in the zone. I just cannot figure out how to judge them.
I think my primary problem is that I cannot seem to see how a person can tell if a pitch is in the middle or way low or way outside and still hit the one in the middle.

It just seems that if I wait long enough to decide the ball is in the zone, its already in the zone and swinging becomes worthless.

Can anyone tell me some trade secrets on how to judge when a ball is going to be outside?
I am not looking for perfection, I just want to guess right 33% of the time.

Thanks and again if there are other threads please link them or tell me I ca find help.
Perhaps you should try some different camera views?

Also, go into batting practice and spend some time on the Discipline mode. It's made for people with this problem.

As for picking up the pitch from the pitchers hand, a tip I've seen is to watch the pitcher's cap and pick the ball up from there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

Thanks guys. I did catch the thread a couple of days ago about starting your stride when you see the pitchers hand on top (I though yeah right... until I tried it) and that helped my rhythm alot.

Appreciate the video too!

I will practice more and see what happens.

Any other suggestions would be awesome.

BTW Just nailed my first homer with Jay Bruce against the Brewers! So I am getting better at hitting, I just need to learn patience and ID'ing the pitch.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
Pro

pokerlife's Arena

OVR: 7

have you tried switching your TV to game mode?
I sucked at the game last year to the point it wasn't even fun!

This year same thing again i could not hit to save my life.
Switched to game mode and hit 4 homeruns and 12 hits!

I may even have to bump pitch speed up because its to easy to hit now.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Rookie

twthomas's Arena

Don't think my TV has said 'Game Mode'.
At least I don't see anything listed in the guide or menu's.
Hmmm..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »