Home

Pitcher Losses

This is a discussion on Pitcher Losses within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Rookie

ovm807's Arena

OVR: 4
Pitcher Losses

I searched and couldn't find this anywhere. How is it that pitchers that don't give up the winning run are still given the loss. Ted Lilly pitched 4.2 innings giving up 7 runs on 7 hits against the Nationals. The Nationals won 9-8 and yet Lilly was given the loss. Sean Marshall gave up run number 9 to the Nationals so shouldn't he be getting the loss?

This has happened in at least 4 games where the wrong pitcher is getting the loss and I'm only 23 games into the season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Pitcher Losses

Did the cubs ever tie the game at any point?? If not then the loss would still be lilly's.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ram93
Did the cubs ever tie the game at any point?? If not then the loss would still be lilly's.
This. A pitcher is on the hook for the loss if he gives up the go ahead run(s), which I assume is the case with Lilly. A pitcher is no longer on the hook for the loss if his team comes back to tie the game or take the lead.

Maybe it's better if I give an example:
Lets say Pitcher A pitching for Team A allows 2 runs and leaves his team down 2-0. He is currently on the hook for the loss. Then let's say Team B scores 4 more runs, making the score 6-0. Then Team A battles back and scores 4 runs, making the score 6-4. Pitcher A is still the pitcher of record because, while Team A got his 2 runs back, Team B extended its lead before that happened.

On the flip side, if Pitcher A leaves with a 2-0 deficit and then Team A ties it at 2, Pitcher A would get a no-decision.

You didn't give us enough information to determine whether this is the case, but I highly doubt that there was any mistake because, in my five years playing The Show, there has never been a problem.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Rookie

ovm807's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
This. A pitcher is on the hook for the loss if he gives up the go ahead run(s), which I assume is the case with Lilly. A pitcher is no longer on the hook for the loss if his team comes back to tie the game or take the lead.

Maybe it's better if I give an example:
Lets say Pitcher A pitching for Team A allows 2 runs and leaves his team down 2-0. He is currently on the hook for the loss. Then let's say Team B scores 4 more runs, making the score 6-0. Then Team A battles back and scores 4 runs, making the score 6-4. Pitcher A is still the pitcher of record because, while Team A got his 2 runs back, Team B extended its lead before that happened.

On the flip side, if Pitcher A leaves with a 2-0 deficit and then Team A ties it at 2, Pitcher A would get a no-decision.

You didn't give us enough information to determine whether this is the case, but I highly doubt that there was any mistake because, in my five years playing The Show, there has never been a problem.
At no time did the Cubs have the lead. I always thought that this was cut and dry, if you gave up the "winning run", you were the loser. So, even though the Cubs went on to score 8 runs, the loss still goes to Lilly who only gave up 7 runs because the Cubs never held the lead?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

No. It's because the Cubs never TIED the game. Let's say the Cubs tied it and then Sean Marshall gave up the winning run, Marmol would be the losing pitcher. If the score was 7-6, let's say in the seventh inning, and then Marshall gave up another run, followed by the Cubs getting their seventh run, Lilly would still be given the loss. The key is whether or not the Cubs were able to tie it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Rookie

ovm807's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeureally27
No. It's because the Cubs never TIED the game. Let's say the Cubs tied it and then Sean Marshall gave up the winning run, Marmol would be the losing pitcher. If the score was 7-6, let's say in the seventh inning, and then Marshall gave up another run, followed by the Cubs getting their seventh run, Lilly would still be given the loss. The key is whether or not the Cubs were able to tie it.
Thanks for the response, I always thought it was the other way around.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
MVP

MatrixTN's Arena

OVR: 10

FYI - there is a "loss to wrong pitcher" bug (which I've already noted in B&G). If your team is ahead and you bring in a new pitcher with the tying run on base and he allows a homer, the loss ends up on the previous pitcher (only responsible for the TYING run) instead of him. Happened to me on RTTS (came in relief with the tying run aboard and allowed a homer, loss went to previous pitcher instead of me) and have heard it happen to others in other standard modes.

Again, the loss goes to the pitcher that allows the go-ahead run. If his team ties or takes the lead after he's out, then he'll get a ND, otherwise a loss. Since the Cubs never tied the game back at any time after Lilly left, it's his loss.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »