Home

Pitch Location

This is a discussion on Pitch Location within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14
Pitch Location

CPU pitch location is driving me absolutely insane. I can understand the good to great pitchers, hitting their spots often. However, when average to crap pitchers are constantly nibbling and hitting the corners, its frustrating the living @^&%&! out of me. To the point, where the game isn't even fun anymore.

I currently have location and consistency @ 5 & 7. I don't want to reduce the two to the point where it turns into a meatball fest. Can anyone suggest settings/sliders that produce relatively realistic pitch locations?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Pitch Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapps
CPU pitch location is driving me absolutely insane. I can understand the good to great pitchers, hitting their spots often. However, when average to crap pitchers are constantly nibbling and hitting the corners, its frustrating the living @^&%&! out of me. To the point, where the game isn't even fun anymore.

I currently have location and consistency @ 5 & 7. I don't want to reduce the two to the point where it turns into a meatball fest. Can anyone suggest settings/sliders that produce relatively realistic pitch locations?
You have to change the strike frequency. I don't remember what I have mine on, but psycho's sliders are good. This way, they can still paint the corners from time to time, but will also throw more balls and will not always get the call when they do paint the corner.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6

I think the hitting difficulty also effects the Cpu pitching. What level are you playing on ? How about the Cpu strike frequency ? And there is a slider sub-forum if you look up.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 60

This is something I don't understand. In my games vs. the CPU I can't tell you how many times in a game I'm 1-2, only to look at the pitches made by the CPU and I should be 3-0, then I strike out on ball four, and the chart shows those were not pitches that "nibbled" the corners, but clearly out of the zone. The pitcher sliders I use are on DEFAULT for both me/CPU.
The CPU will walk me if I let it.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
MVP

chuckm1961's Arena

OVR: 12

SOMETHING is going on here because ....

.... some say there are plenty of Balls thrown by the CPU, even on Default sliders ...

....and others say they can't buy a walk (like me!).

My latest theory is that Guess Pitch has some effect on what the pitchers are doing.

I use Guess Pitch, on almost every pitch. (I guess multiple locations, not always the same at all.) And here are two things I can almost guarantee the AI pitcher will do, game after game (I play on All-Star, currently with Strike Fr at 2, Pitch Control at 3, Pitch Consistency at 7):

1) they will throw perfect corner strikes early in the count, almost always hitting the lower part of the plate;

2) if I get a man on first, they will pound the strike zone; they will throw a ball only as a pitch-out and they will make it nearly impossible for me to hit anything but a low pitch.

OP, I totally sympathize. I can't tell you how many times this year I have dropped the controller to the ground in disbelief, as another CPU pitcher with a terrible BB/9 rating fires low pinpoint strike after low pinpoint strike.

Last edited by chuckm1961; 05-03-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
This is something I don't understand. In my games vs. the CPU I can't tell you how many times in a game I'm 1-2, only to look at the pitches made by the CPU and I should be 3-0, then I strike out on ball four, and the chart shows those were not pitches that "nibbled" the corners, but clearly out of the zone. The pitcher sliders I use are on DEFAULT for both me/CPU.
The CPU will walk me if I let it.
Yep, my last game box score in my Mets chise...

I keep banging on about these to people who moan they cant walk, they are simply not patient or choosy enough over what they swing at. My walk total through 10 franchise games is 33, bang on the 3.3 walks per team average in the MLB ironically enough.

The walks are there people.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 20

Basically you'll never walk if you never walk. The more you walk, the more you'll walk.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm completely serious.

As for the fear of the game turning into a "meatball fest," I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you can rip off 15 wins in a row where you're scoring 10+ runs per game, by all means, do it and don't look back. You're not gonna hit 90 homeruns with anyone, you're not gonna drive in 200 runs with anyone, no one is gonna hit .554, and you're not gonna win 140 games.

I played about 20 games or so with human contact at zero because I thought my batting averages were "too high," fast forward and I'm 17.5 games back, maybe have lost the season, and even though I put it back to default 15 games ago, I'm still struggling to score more than 5 runs in any given game.

Just put the sliders where they make sense and run with it. This is NOT the game to have sliders in the back of your mind all the time, it's way too dynamic.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
MVP

Hushroom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Yep, my last game box score in my Mets chise...

I keep banging on about these to people who moan they cant walk, they are simply not patient or choosy enough over what they swing at. My walk total through 10 franchise games is 33, bang on the 3.3 walks per team average in the MLB ironically enough.

The walks are there people.
Edit - nvm, found your slider set and I'm gonna give them a try.
Milwaukee Bucks
Vegas Golden Knights

Last edited by Hushroom; 05-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »