Home

Do catchers have an arm rating?

This is a discussion on Do catchers have an arm rating? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Do catchers have an arm rating?

In my Yankees season, just had Curtis Granderson thrown out stealing second by Victor Martinez on a 60 mph Wakefield knuckleball. I thought it was ridiculous, seeing how Martinez cannot throw anyone out, esp a runner as fast as Granderson on a 60 mph pitch. Do catchers arm ratings have any bearing on stealing successfully?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Do catchers have an arm rating?

They do but it feels like it's more of a roll of the dice type results, similar to the check swings getting called out. Feels almost random. I don't feel that having an elite defensive catcher matters to the CPU on whether it's going to steal and whether it makes a difference if it's a victor martinez or a jose molina. It will roll the dice and your throw will either be high and off line, or right on the money.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Pro

Clarityman's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
They do but it feels like it's more of a roll of the dice type results, similar to the check swings getting called out. Feels almost random. I don't feel that having an elite defensive catcher matters to the CPU on whether it's going to steal and whether it makes a difference if it's a victor martinez or a jose molina. It will roll the dice and your throw will either be high and off line, or right on the money.
100% agree. Which is annoying, because I've accidentally stolen a lot of times with non-basestealers on missed hit and runs (like Geovany Soto my last game), but then my basestealers are unable to steal in good situational opportunaties (like running on the knuckler the way the OP suggested).

It leads to some pretty unrealistic results.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarityman
100% agree. Which is annoying, because I've accidentally stolen a lot of times with non-basestealers on missed hit and runs (like Geovany Soto my last game), but then my basestealers are unable to steal in good situational opportunaties (like running on the knuckler the way the OP suggested).

It leads to some pretty unrealistic results.
As omeone who loves leading off and stealing bases in RTTS, this annoys me greatly. My biggest gripe in this game by far and the only thing I feel that really needs to be patched.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

yeah, and also the CPU will call the runner out when he looks safe in live action and on the replay.

I think Ramone said they were working on this for this year, after someone brought it up in a different thread..

The reason I bumped this is to ask this...

Is there a way to see the CPU catcher's arm rating? Or any other ratings info except what's in the limited options...spd , ConL, ConR, PwrL , PwrR?

I think that if they put in a way to bring up the player card from the batting order screen, and to see who's on the opponent's bench would be AWESOME.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-strength.html

If you read through this (it's only one page), RodCarew helps me with this very thing, and talks about which ratings influence a catcher's arm.

I also have Success at 3 and Frequency at 8-10. (8 or 9 max if you use an NL team)

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 12-14-2010 at 04:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »