Home

Umpire Balls and Strikes

This is a discussion on Umpire Balls and Strikes within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Umpire Balls and Strikes

I don’t understand this at all.

I was angered at certain calls on variable so I thought about switching it. This option can not be changed when in franchise mode so I went to the main menu and changed it. The three options are variable, standard, and off. The description says that when on standard all umpires will call the game the same. When it is turned off it says every call is perfect.

I tried off and went back into franchise mode and pitched a game and still got screwed on two calls. On one call the pitch was up in the strike zone and about 70% of the ball was in the strike zone.

Has anyone tried different settings for Umpire balls and strikes and how did the game go?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
MVP

FluffyTonka's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Umpire Balls and Strikes

All I know is Dallas Hodges has boiled eggs ... Not eyes.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Rookie

sierra44's Arena

OVR: 4

Its the human element of the game. There shouldnt even be an option to change it. No umpire is the same in real life, or consistent for that matter, why should they be robots in a game were we demand the most realism. Kind of contradicting dont ya think?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyTonka
The celebrity chef culture is a remarkable and admittedly annoying phenomenon. Of all the professions, after all, few people are less suited to be suddenly thrown into the public eye than chefs. We're used to doing what we do in private, behind closed doors.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyTonka

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra44
Its the human element of the game. There shouldnt even be an option to change it. No umpire is the same in real life, or consistent for that matter, why should they be robots in a game were we demand the most realism. Kind of contradicting dont ya think?
I play with variable and am happy with it, but if there are options to change it and they are not working properly then thats an issue. Whether it should be changed or not, for realism purposes is a different discussion all together. They implemented various options and according to the OP they are not working as described.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra44
Uhm last time I checked the umps in the game were robots. Everything is programmed. Even programmed randomness is still not random.

I play with it on, and am happy with it and hate it. When I am getting that outside call, I love it. But when I can't buy a strike with a slider, even way in the zone, then I really hate it. The variable strike zone can be more important to a pitcher's success than confidence at times. It doesn't help to have full confidence if the only pitch called a strike is right in the hitter's wheelhouse.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I mostly play with it on but I wanted to try another option because of two incidents. One time late in the game on three straight pitches the ump decided to not make a call for a strike when my pitcher was consistently throwing strikes all game. Another occasion really angered me because the ball was completely in the strike zone not a single piece of the ball was hanging out.

Now I don’t have a problem with an umpire squeezing the zone but when it seems every single umpire decides to squeeze the zone at certain points in a game it doesn’t make sense. If there are umpires that squeeze the zone there should be umpires that have large strike zones.

And when the option to change this doesn’t work as its says it should then I don’t understand what’s going on. I’m going to play with it set to off for a while and see if the setting is irrelevant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »