Home

Help please with MLB 10 The Show

This is a discussion on Help please with MLB 10 The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Help please with MLB 10 The Show

Hi all, I am new to Baseball, and have just had MLB the Show PS3 posted to me from a friend in the USA, as in Australia we cannot get Baseball games.

The game looks great and I really want to enjoy to play it, however I am struggling big time.
I cannot hit a ball, well not a good hit.
Can someone please give me some simple tips on how to hit the ball.
Do you use Left stick for direction ?, do you aim direction just befor the pitch, then let it go, and just hit X at the point of impact, or do you need to use X together with the left stick ?
I really struggle to hit a pitch, and its frustrating, that I cannot enjoy this great game.

Any tips, simple please, to enjoy this game will be so much appreciatted.
I am new to Baseball, but love watching MLB on TV, its a great game, not like boring cricket which is what Australians love.
Thanks kindly for any advice.
Nino
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Help please with MLB 10 The Show

Take a look at the tips/suggestions thread here on these forums, or do a search for the tutorials thread which has been posted. I'm sure Knight or Pared or one of the other guys around here will respond and be able to direct you to the threads if you can't find them.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy The Show! It's the best baseball game out there.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

It took me a while to get used to hitting in this game and even more time to make solid contact and generate hits. I don't use the left stick once the pitch has been thrown as I just guess a pitch and location and then try and pick up the ball out of the pitchers hand.

The most basic tip that I always use is I never swing at the first pitch, ever. If it's a ball that increases your odds of getting a good pitch later in the count and in all likelihood a first pitch ball will mean a fastball on one of the next two pitches. Also, if you guess the right pitch you need to make sure you don't swing too soon or else you will hit it foul or hit a weak grounder. So get into the batting practice and get used to the right timing on your swing.

Another good tip that has helped me is to look for pitches in the middle or low part of the strike zone. High pitches are difficult to hit and when you do make contact you'll just pop it up. If it comes in looking high and ISN'T a curveball, try not to swing.

Last tip, by taking the first pitch and working the count as best you can you can do a few things. Run up the opposing pitch count and get the pitcher out of the game sooner. Also the more you see a pitcher and the pitches he throws the better you can get a read on what is coming and what his pitches do. Do they break, slide, rise?

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Rookie

Thanks so much, makes more sense to me now.
So you really can't adjust the way you hit right ?
Also sorry, but I still don't get it with guessing the pitch.
Is this just a potluck thing ? what benifit do you get by guessing the pitch ?

Thanks again for your kind advice, it will make me enjoy this great game more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvin63
It took me a while to get used to hitting in this game and even more time to make solid contact and generate hits. I don't use the left stick once the pitch has been thrown as I just guess a pitch and location and then try and pick up the ball out of the pitchers hand.

The most basic tip that I always use is I never swing at the first pitch, ever. If it's a ball that increases your odds of getting a good pitch later in the count and in all likelihood a first pitch ball will mean a fastball on one of the next two pitches. Also, if you guess the right pitch you need to make sure you don't swing too soon or else you will hit it foul or hit a weak grounder. So get into the batting practice and get used to the right timing on your swing.

Another good tip that has helped me is to look for pitches in the middle or low part of the strike zone. High pitches are difficult to hit and when you do make contact you'll just pop it up. If it comes in looking high and ISN'T a curveball, try not to swing.

Last tip, by taking the first pitch and working the count as best you can you can do a few things. Run up the opposing pitch count and get the pitcher out of the game sooner. Also the more you see a pitcher and the pitches he throws the better you can get a read on what is coming and what his pitches do. Do they break, slide, rise?

Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

You can guess the pitch type AND location. I can't remember which does which right now, but I think guessing type gives you a bonus to contact and location gives you a bonus to power. I may have those reversed. If you guess incorrectly, you will receive penalties. Of course, you do not have to use the guess pitch if you don't want to...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Rookie

You'll get mostly the same tips no matter where you go. Take more pitches, be patient, wait for a good pitch...blah, blah, blah. It doesn't seem to matter. This year's game has been ever frustrating due to the amount of balls the fielder's eat up. I am constantly amazed at how many balls that I have great timing, great contact, or both and they end up being weak ground balls, line drivers right at infielders, ropes right at outfielders, or towering fly balls that stay up long enough for outfielders to run 2 miles to go get.

Good luck is all the advice I have for you. I've tried hitting on 3 different difficulty levels with hitting sliders all the way up. I should almost get more hits accidently then I actually get in the game. I even got no-hit by the marlins in spring training on veteran mode. I'm not sure if its more embarrassing for me or the absurdity of this game. My starters could not get a single hit off of a platoon of Marlins spring training pitchers and I've been playing The Show since '08.

There are people who claim that they can hit the ball on this forum. Perhaps they have mastered a skill that I have not. I will say that every person that I have actually met in real life also cannot hit the ball in this game. Good luck, again. You are in for a long and difficult journey.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks again, but I have to be honest, its all still very unclear to me, when I see the pitch, they all look the same to me at the release point, I guess I don't come from the Baseball world, as its not popular here, these Aussies don't know what they are missing.
I suppose this game is like real baseball, as you don't see batters hitting every ball sweet.
Its a little frustrating to not be able to enjoy the game as much.
Anyway as you all said I will keep practicing.
Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesaysso
You'll get mostly the same tips no matter where you go. Take more pitches, be patient, wait for a good pitch...blah, blah, blah. It doesn't seem to matter. This year's game has been ever frustrating due to the amount of balls the fielder's eat up. I am constantly amazed at how many balls that I have great timing, great contact, or both and they end up being weak ground balls, line drivers right at infielders, ropes ri pointght at outfielders, or towering fly balls that stay up long enough for outfielders to run 2 miles to go get.

Good luck is all the advice I have for you. I've tried hitting on 3 different difficulty levels with hitting sliders all the way up. I should almost get more hits accidently then I actually get in the game. I even got no-hit by the marlins in spring training on veteran mode. I'm not sure if its more embarrassing for me or the absurdity of this game. My starters could not get a single hit off of a platoon of Marlins spring training pitchers and I've been playing The Show since '08.

There are people who claim that they can hit the ball on this forum. Perhaps they have mastered a skill that I have not. I will say that every person that I have actually met in real life also cannot hit the ball in this game. Good luck, again. You are in for a long and difficult journey.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Welcome to the Show! Don't get discouraged many many people have had alot of trouble getting the hang of this game.

The key to everything is patience I cannot stress that enough. Play an exhibition game with you favorite team. DONT swing at anything. Watch every pitch see the release the break watch replays see where it crosses the plate. Do this over and over until you can start to pick out pitches.

Watch real games online if you can. The will help you with strategy and running a game.

The same goes with pitching . Go into practice pick a pitch throw it 100 times. See how it breaks where the release is etc.

Be Patient really really really patient it all comes in time

Remember we are talking about Practice here, really we are talking about practice right. I mean we are talking about practice

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »