Home

MLB '10: The Show Official Team Ratings and Explanation

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Official Team Ratings and Explanation within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #129
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: MLB '10: The Show Official Team Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I think that is what most are forgetting, and that their team does have a bench. And they do count, just as in real life.

I agree they matter. I'm not so sure about the weighting being 40% though.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #130
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepman
I agree they matter. I'm not so sure about the weighting being 40% though.

That is actually almost spot on if you see bench and bullpen contributions (playing time) throughout a full MLB season.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #131
Pro

huggerorange73's Arena

OVR: 12

I can see all sides of the arguements presented here, and the logic of how it all adds up.

But still...I fail to see how the Cubs are rated as highly as they are.

And the White Sox pitching staff is way underrated...way underated
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #132
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Russ,
Was this a manual lineup? Because if it wasn't SWEEEET!!! The LaRussa lineup is in with pitcher hitting 8th. I play as the Yankees, but I have never seen the pitcher hit 8th in Inter league play.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #133
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Russ,
Was this a manual lineup? Because if it wasn't SWEEEET!!! The LaRussa lineup is in with pitcher hitting 8th. I play as the Yankees, but I have never seen the pitcher hit 8th in Inter league play.

It's the lineup the game is shipping with if that's what you are asking. I didn't move anyone around.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #134
Atlanta Black Sox

xNobleEaglex's Arena

OVR: 9

Makes sense. I'd put our starting rotation up against anyone's in the league easy. Bullpen is solid, with a few question marks here or there. Line-up has some question marks, but it's made up of 'solid run producers' from the last several years. And I'd put our bench up against anyone's. The 6th overall rating makes much more sense now. I hope they live up to that rating, because if they do, it could be a fun season irl and in the Show
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #135
Banned

omfgitsgod!'s Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
These are some of my favorite threads every year because we all get to debate on why so and so is rated this and that. It's all arbitrary and opinions when you think about it though (which is why I enjoy these threads so much), but for the sake of understanding I'm game lets dig a little deeper.

The Cardinals batting being ranked 20th in the game, but before I talk about their rating let me shed some light on how the game determines this.

1. It's an avg. of your starters and your bench and that's for your starting pitching and lineup. Kolbe gave me a number around 60% to 40% with your starters making up 60% of that rating.

2. Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

Now that we have that out the way back to the Cardinals and this 20th batting ranking which made me scratch my head a little when I first saw it. As most of you and I'm guilty of this myself I think Pujols and Holliday that has to at least make them better than 20th. Not so fast

The Mets are ranked 15th a good 5 spots ahead of them I've uploaded some pics to help make this easier.

If you notice the Cardinals bench is relatively weak compared to the Mets. This is a very important factor in the Cardinals current 20th batting rating. For the sake of science I swaped F.Tatis for S.Robinson on these two teams and their ratings changed. That one player swap propelled the Cardinals to 13th overall in batting and dropped the Mets to 21st in batting. What you have to remember is your starting lineup is only half of the story (about 60% give or take) you have to take into consideration your bench and your bullpen for pitching. Hope this helps

Discuss
Thanks for explaining it. Never thought about bench playing such a big role. 13 overall is perfect for St.Louis. Great job.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #136
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
It's the lineup the game is shipping with if that's what you are asking. I didn't move anyone around.
Great thanks!! It would be nice if St. Louis did this on there own down the road in a franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »