Home

Your Batting Approach

This is a discussion on Your Batting Approach within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Your Batting Approach

Hey guys,

Just curious to know what everyone's batting approach is at the plate. What I mean is do you guys wait for a certain pitch in a certain location in a certain count, do you swing away at any pitch that looks good to you, regardless of zone, or do you use any variation in between? Do you only look for pitches in the hot zones for that particular batter you're using? Also, do you use guess pitch to help with whatever method you use (please let's not make this a for/against guess pitch thread. . .a simple yes/no would suffice)?

I would like to see everyone's approach and their success (if you're a very good hitter or if you can't hit the broad side of a barn). I'm thinking of changing my own since I'm not completely satisfied with my results.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Your Batting Approach

well heres my general approach, disregarding specific hitters: first time thru the lineup, especially the first inning - almost always take a strike before i swing. thats important to work a pitch count up early.
2nd and 3rd time thru - depending on situation, but first hitter i try to be patient and draw a walk or get a hit. i wait to crush a ball for when i have runners on, i hate makin one pitch outs otherwise.
late innings - when trailing i try to be patient and not chase unless in a hitters count. leading i usually swing away and try to extend my lead.
overall - i notice i get a little antsy in a big spot (bases loaded or runners in scoring position less than two outs). thats when i take a deep breath and let things happen. if the pitcher gives you pitches to hit, go for it otherwise i try to not force anything to happen. i guess my overall approach is conservative; i dont like getting 4 or 5 hits to bring in a run. i'll take a single, bunt a guy over, take a walk here or there, try to bring a guy in with small ball stuff.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 31

Keep it simple.....a great hitter once said.

Look for the fastball and adjust to the breaking ball.

Pretty much thats what i do. See ball hit ball....looking for mid level strikes to drive.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6

Its funny, I became a much better hitter when I quit looking for a certain pitch in a certain location. I don't even anticipate a certain pitch anymore. That probably means I'm not thinking like an MLB hitter.

For me, its "see da ball, hit da ball". I swing at what I'm comfortable with. I get lots of home runs on hanging breaking balls this way. That's not to say I don't have awkward swings at some pitches. And I usually manage to draw 2-4 walks a game as well. The one thing I usually do is keep close watch of the opposing starter's pitch count. If its low, I will try to work the count a little more -- especially if its a good pitcher who I don't want to face for 9 innings.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

I tend to be patient at the plate. 95% of the time I take the first pitch. As much as possible I am trying to work myself into a hitters count. If the first pitch is a ball I am am not swinging at the next pitch no matter where it is. If I have the opportunity to work it to 2-0, I am only swinging if the pitch is mid zone. Besides just finding good pitches to hit we need to elevate pitch counts as much as possible to make sure that starter does not go deep into the game. If I find I am anxious and pitch counts are on the low side I will slow the game down and go back to my take pitches philosophy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I tend to be patient at the plate. 95% of the time I take the first pitch. As much as possible I am trying to work myself into a hitters count. If the first pitch is a ball I am am not swinging at the next pitch no matter where it is. If I have the opportunity to work it to 2-0, I am only swinging if the pitch is mid zone. Besides just finding good pitches to hit we need to elevate pitch counts as much as possible to make sure that starter does not go deep into the game. If I find I am anxious and pitch counts are on the low side I will slow the game down and go back to my take pitches philosophy.
Same here, for the most part.

If I am trailing, I tend to take the first pitch nearly every time, and maybe every five batters change it up. I'll look for a get me over fastball that the pitcher throws if he realizes i've started a pattern of taking the first pitch, and i'll look to drive it. If a starter is wild all game, i'll just keep taking until I get a strike.

If I have a reasonable lead, i'll continue to take the first pitch often, unless I have a big slugger up. In that case, i'll just sit on a fastball out over the plate in any count and swing away. If I don't get the fastball, I leave it alone.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

*I don't use guess pitch or location feature*

I too usually take the first pitch with every batter. Sometimes I take two if the pitch is not what I am looking for.

I try to get in hitters counts and say I get 2-0 or 3-1 then I switch to hitting with power until 2 strikes, then its survival mode.

If I have a single runner on 1st I try and influence up to avoid the douple play. With runners in scoring position the need to influence seems less important. A solid hit seems to find a hole with guys in scoring position.

Pretty simple... try to get a fastball over the plate and drive it..
Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 60

Pretty much what Nem said. I do sit on low pitches. The only time I will use the L stick and hold it down is anticipation of one, and don't ask me how I anticipate a low pitch, I just do, lol. I'm one of those swing only guys too, I don't do the zone thing with the stick unless it's a low pitch. It's worked pretty good so far, Dunn is second in the league in HRs with 29 midway through my season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »