Home

Guess what? Guess pitch is unrealistic!

This is a discussion on Guess what? Guess pitch is unrealistic! within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Guess what? Guess pitch is unrealistic!

Okay, I played baseball my whole life, I watch baseball all the time, I coach high school baseball, so I completely understand that making an "educated" guess at what kind of pitch may be coming is part of the game. However the entire guess pitch option in MLB 09 is completely unrealistic. There should not be a guess pitch option (I know that we can just "not use it" offline, but what about online). It is stupid that someone can get an extra boost by guessing where the pitch will be thrown. What's worse is that on each pitch you have a 25% chance of getting the location right and since no one ever throws high pitches you can bump that up to about 33%.

Now here's the thing. If I am playing the game and I have a 2-0 count, my guess is that the pitcher will be throwing a fastball. So that should be an advantage in and of itself. If I guess right in my mind and know a fastball is coming that is an advantage. There should not be added advantages (to attributes or whatever) for the option in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Re: Guess what? Guess pitch is unrealistic!

In other words, in case my original post wasn't quite clear, we always have the option of guessing the pitch. Just guess the pitch. There should not be an option to do so on the actual game.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

Agreed but prepared to get flamed.

Even though I don't like it, I really don't care if others use it. It's there game, everybody can play it how they want.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

That is why when you go online you play in the no guess pitch lobby.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
That is why when you go online you play in the no guess pitch lobby.
*pours liquor on thread*
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Guess what? There's already been numerous threads on the issue.

In the end, this is a videogame and there are options included to try and make the game more accessable. I wouldn't expect it to change as you can completely avoid the option altogether.

I don't use guess pitch (though I have it on since I can't use swing analysis otherwise) but I don't see the point in dedicating yet another thread to prove a point about it's realism.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Guess what? There's already been numerous threads on the issue.

In the end, this is a videogame and there are options included to try and make the game more accessable. I wouldn't expect it to change as you can completely avoid the option altogether.

I don't use guess pitch (though I have it on since I can't use swing analysis otherwise) but I don't see the point in dedicating yet another thread to prove a point about it's realism.

Guess what? I never saw one and I've been on these boards since before the release. I'm not saying there wasn't one, just that I didn't see it.

And I didn't know there was a "no guess pitch lobby". That's great and I'll have to check that out. Pour out some more liqour, I guess the issue is over.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 11

In "guess pitch's" defense, I do like the fact that even if you guess right in terms of location, the ball may be way out of the strike zone in that location. So guessing doesn't ensure you a chance to mash one.

I recall either last year's game or the one before it had it where when you guessed right a little circle would pop up exactly where the ball was going to be, which even to me was a little over the top.

I use the guess pitch feature, mostly because it helps me generate realistic CPU pitch counts. I go into at-bats intelligently, looking for a ball in a zone early in the count, being selectively aggressive when I'm ahead in the count and protective when I'm behind. So if I guess wrong on 0-0 or 1-0 I let the pitch go knowing full well it might be a c**k shot right down the heart.

Works for me, but obviously everyone is different.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »