Home

MLB 09: The Show - The System Seller?

This is a discussion on MLB 09: The Show - The System Seller? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 09: The Show - The System Seller?

Can you believe that it is already March? March Madness is right around the corner, the NBA and NHL playoff chases are beginning to intensify, and the chill of winter will (hopefully) subside soon and give way to the warmth of spring.

And by now, many gamers are already playing the newest round of baseball titles for 2009, MLB 09: The Show and MLB 2K9 -- a sign that MLB Opening Day is on the horizon.

But because of the unfortunate gulf of quality between MLB 2K and The Show, there are probably many baseball fans, sports gamers and Xbox 360 owners presently battling with that ultimate question -- one that I have also been admittedly battling with. And that question is, "should I really spend hundreds of dollars on a PS3 just for one game?"

Read More - MLB 09: The Show - The System Seller?

Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 15
Re: MLB 09: The Show - The System Seller?

It was a system seller for me. Bought a PS3 for MLB 08. Still the only two games I have for the system. I'm sure if the 2k series was any good I would never have bought a PS3.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Rookie

demboys6's Arena

OVR: 2

I was one of these people. I have had my 360 since the first night it came out. I am a huge baseball fan so went and picked up 2k9. Could not make it through one game without it freezing on me. I looked at all the reviews for both 2k9 and The Show. Per the reviews there didn't seem to be much comparison as The Show seemed to be blowing the other out of the water. I just got home with my PS3 and The Show. So yeah, I am sure I am not the only one who had debated the switch because of this game. 2k9 freezing was the final straw for me.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Rookie

irrelevant's Arena

OVR: 3

Greetings! First post after lurking for quite some time (and subsequently registering).

I purchased my PS3 the day before The Show '09 came out. I do not regret it one bit. I still love my 360 and will use it for a number of gaming needs (after the baseball season is over - LOL). I played the 2K series religiously and I was really excited about 2K9 - that is, until I watched the Angels vs. Yankess video for The Show. OMG. Sold. Converted. Done. Bow down.

I LOVE this game. I get really frustrated because I nearly can't hit to save my life and my pitching is spotty, but at the same time I love the the learning curve and the similarities to actually playing baseball. Never before have I faced this type of challenge in a sports game; and nothing feels better than getting that K or tearing the cover off the ball!

SCEA, I applaud your incredible work. OS peeps, this site rules. The Show, system seller... hands down.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 14

I am not a baseball purist, but I have played baseball games all my life up till about 2 years ago. I can remember atari baseball, nes baseball, rbi, bases loaded(one of my personal favorites), World Series on the Sega, Sony's MLB games of the late 90's, ASB in the early 2000's, High Heat 04, MVP 05, and the last I bought was MLB 2006. Over the last few years no game has made me say man I have to have that baseball game. I came close last year to getting the show but didn't. I didn't hesitate this year and I am not disappointed.

I don't know how to describe it, maybe it is the crack of the bat, the feeling of a well turned double play, or frustrations of losing a perfect game with two outs to go in the ninth. These are my feelings of baseball and my past history with baseball games. The fun factor in the field, the bright sunshine of a day game, and the feeling of a 99mph fastball to end the game. To me The Show has captured these elements and more. Obviously the graphics and sound are top notch and the animations are fluid. Does the game have glithces yes, but what game doesn't.

The simple truth is, if you are a baseball purist or just a simple man you must own a PS3 and you must own MLB 09: The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

Its only a system seller for baseball fans, like gran turismo is a system seller for racing fans and metal gear is a system seller for metal gear fans. For a casual gamer this game has no chance.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

It was a system seller for me. I went to Gamestop with the sole intention of picking up a PS3 and 07. Spent mad money to get 2 controllers and an HDMI cable. This has been the only time I bought a system just for one game. Totally worth it because now I can watch The Dark Knight beautiful HD quality. So yeah, totally worth it.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

I was always a PC baseball player. I never thought I would be a console gamer. I was over at a friends and he was playing The Show 07 which tweaked my interest. Just before the release of The Show 08, I bought my PS3. I am now in baseball heaven.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »