Home

OSFM 2013: Houston Astros

This is a discussion on OSFM 2013: Houston Astros within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
OSFM 2013: Houston Astros

OK I seriously love this system so I'm volunteering to do everything for this one lol. If anyone wants to help compile info just post it in this thread...

Lets get the big stuff out of the way first... The big league club is pretty set, which is pretty surprising considering the amount of fringe ML'ers lol. Here's the list of interesting players, players in bold have spent significant time at AA or above:

Andrew Aplin OF
Brandon Barnes OF - should be in the game already
Bobby Borchering OF
Colton Cain LHP
Jose Cisnero RHP
Kevin Comer RHP
Carlos Correa SS
Jarred Cosart RHP
Delino DeShields Jr 2B
Chris Devenski RHP
Jake Elmore 2B - should be in the game already
Josh Fields RHP - Rule 5
Mike Foltynewicz RHP
Nolan Fontana SS
Nate Freiman 1B - Rule 5
Alex Gillingham RHP
Robbie Grossman OF
Matt Heidenreich RHP
Tyler Heineman C
Brian Holmes LHP
Adrian Houser RHP
Marc Krauss OF
Kenny Long LHP
Lance McCullers RHP
Joe Musgrove RHP
Brandon Meredith OF
Brett Oberholtzer LHP
Rudy Owens LHP
Ariel Ovando OF
Carlos Perez C
Brett Phillips OF
Brady Rodgers RHP
David Rollins LHP
Rio Ruiz 3B
Domingo Santana OF
Ross Seaton RHP
Jonathan Singleton 1B
George Springer OF
Nick Tropeano RHP
Preston Tucker OF
Vincent Velasquez RHP
Jonathan Villar SS
Blair Walters LHP
Austin Wates OF
Aaron West RHP
Asher Wojciechowski RHP
Brad Peacock RHP
- Probably have to recreate him...
Max Stassi C
Chia-Jen Lo RHP

Here are the players on the 40-man with no service time (highest level played):

Jose Cisnero RHP AAA
Paul Clemens RHP AAA
Jarred Cosart RHP AAA
Josh Fields RHP AAA (Rule 5)
Chia-Jen Lo RHP A+ (AFL)
Brett Oberholtzer LHP AAA
Rudy Owens LHP AAA
Ross Seaton RHP AAA
Nate Freiman 1B AA (Rule 5)
Jonathan Villar SS AA
Robbie Grossman OF AA

Players on the 40-man who probably have to be recreated:

Brad Peacock RHP AAA

NRIs (outside the org in bold):

Erik Bedard LHP MLB
Kevin Chapman LHP AA
Sergio Escalona LHP MLB (DL)
C.J. Fick RHP MLB
Edgar Gonzalez RHP MLB
Jose Valdez RHP MLB
Josh Zeid RHP AA
Rene Garcia C AA
Jason Jaramillo C AAA - probably needs to be recreated...
Carlos Perez C A+
Max Stassi C A+

Chris Wallace C AAA
Delino DeShields Jr. 2B A+
Brandon Laird 1B MLB
Jose Martinez 2B AAA
Rick Ankiel OF MLB
Trevor Crowe OF AAA - probably needs to be recreated...
Jake Goebbert OF AAA
Marc Krauss OF AAA
Che-Hsuan Lin OF MLB
George Springer OF AA

So there should be 29 players on the 40-man with service time, and 1 who needs to be recreated (30). There are 49 interesting prospects, 1 who should already be in the game and 2 who are rule 5 picks... So that means ~46 prospects for 60 spots.

Here are the prospects projected to be in AAA this year:

Brandon Barnes OF
Jose Cisnero RHP
Jarred Cosart RHP
Jake Elmore SS
Nate Freiman 1B
Robbie Grossman OF
Marc Krauss OF
Brett Oberholtzer LHP
Rudy Owens LHP
Ross Seaton RHP
Jonathan Singleton 1B
Jonathan Villar SS
Austin Wates OF
Brad Peacock RHP

11 projected filler spots

Prospects projected to be at AA:

Bobby Borchering OF
Colton Cain LHP
Matt Heidenreich RHP
Chia-Jen Lo RHP
Kenny Long LHP
Domingo Santana OF
George Springer OF
Nick Tropeano RHP
Blair Walters LHP
Asher Wojciechowski RHP

15 projected filler spots

So out of the 49 there are 24 guaranteed to be at AA or above, leaving 25 for the 15 remaining spots... AAA filler is more important to me, I believe there can be some leeway at AA as long as the players are age-appropriate for the level. Here are some A+ guys who could potentially be in AA:

Delino DeShields Jr. 2B
Chris Devenski RHP
Mike Foltynewicz RHP
Alex Gillingham RHP
Brandon Meredith OF
Carlos Perez C
David Rollins LHP
Aaron West RHP
Max Stassi C

Here's my list of B+ and higher prospects (floor/ceiling):

Carlos Correa - D/A
Jonathan Singleton - C+/B+
George Springer - D+/B+
Jarred Cosart - C/B+
Lance McCullers Jr. - D/B+
Delino DeShields Jr. - D+/B+
Mike Foltynewicz - D+/B+
Rio Ruiz - D/B+
Nick Tropeano - D+/B+
Domingo Santana - D+/B+

Last edited by seanjeezy; 02-18-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: more stuff
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
MVP

yanksdaniel99's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: OSFM 2013: Houston Astros

Jeez your doing the top 100 and two systems. Gotta step my game up lol, if you and Panda need help for the top 100 let me know. I can copy over any faces pretty quickly, I know Aroid did a bunch of good ones the past two years.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
Jeez your doing the top 100 and two systems. Gotta step my game up lol, if you and Panda need help for the top 100 let me know. I can copy over any faces pretty quickly, I know Aroid did a bunch of good ones the past two years.
Yeah, the more I think about it this is really a tall task lol. I've been getting a head start by recording what I have, but if you can copy over Aroid's stuff that would be great.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
MVP

yanksdaniel99's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Yeah, the more I think about it this is really a tall task lol. I've been getting a head start by recording what I have, but if you can copy over Aroid's stuff that would be great.
Will do, gunna go thru 12 tonite and see what's good and what isn't, and come up with a list to copy over. I know you did a bunch and we got ~ 60 of the draft picks from last year whose faces Panda did, certainly a good start.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

Top prospects from Minor League Ball:

1) Carlos Correa, SS, Grade A-: I'm not worried about the blah performance in rookie ball and I felt he was the best overall position player in the draft. Should hit for power and average, should stick at shortstop (at least in the short and medium run), outstanding makeup, and one of the youngest guys in the class to boot. Getting him to sign below slot was a masterstroke that set up the rest of the draft.

2) Jonathan Singleton, 1B, Grade B+: Impressed with his power and patience, but his defense is deteriorating already and I see him as more of a masher than a complete hitter. Still an elite guy. I think Springer is a more complete player but Singleton is two years younger, which matters.

3) George Springer, OF, Grade B+: Strong, fast, hits for power, steals bases, strong glove, strong makeup. Still working on the strike zone and whiffs a lot, but I love him and I think he has a good chance to adapt. More complete package of tools/skills than Singleton, but two years older.

4) Jarred Cosart, RHP, Grade B:
His talent is obvious but he's frustrating too. Awesome stuff with power sinker, hard curve, but his command comes and goes and he's not as dominant as he should be with his quality arm. Needs 100 innings in Triple-A to work more kinks out.

5) Lance McCullers, JR, RHP, Grade B:
His arm is even better than Cosart's and he can hit 100, but it is still unclear what his role will be long-term. I have Cosart a notch higher due to proximity to majors, but it is close. Could be a power relief ace or a number two starter.

6) Delino DeShields, JR, 2B, Grade B:
Another bloodline guy, made good progress refining his skills last year and improved on both offense and defense. Still has rough edges and at least two years away, but he'd look great at the top of the order if he continues polishing the OBP skills to go with his blazing speed.

7) Mike Foltynewicz, RHP, Grade B:
Threw a bit harder in 2012 but improvement in secondary pitches was key to success in return appearance in Low-A. I see him as a strong number three starter in the future assuming good health and more command progress.

8) Nick Tropeano, RHP, Grade B:
Stony Brook ace didn't throw hard in college but gained zip on the heater this year. He already had a good changeup and splitter, and he knows how to pitch. Another mid-rotation arm and will get to the majors ahead of everyone but Cosart.

9) Rio Ruiz, 3B, Grade B-:
A bit of a tough grade given spring injury layoff. Scouts love his swing and defensive potential and drafting him in the fourth round was a coup, but we need to see how it all translates to pro ball. Would rank higher next year if the Eric Chavez comps are accurate.

10) Domingo Santana, OF, Grade B-:
I think he made real progress in the Cal League at age 19/20 and it isn't all a statistical illusion. He's got some holes that need to be closed up, but he's made improvements and power upside is very high. Keep his age in mind.

11) Jonathan Villar, SS, Grade B-
: Another tools guy like Santana, made some incremental progress in Texas League before breaking his hand punching a door. Still plays out of control at times, especially on defense. Would rank higher than Santana on positional scarcity factors, but is a year and a half older.

12) Brad Peacock, RHP, Grade B-: ACQUIRED FROM ATHLETICS ON FEBRUARY 4TH .He had problems with mechanics and command in Triple-A, but the 6.01 ERA overstates things...his FIP was much better at 4.26. Needs more consistency, but don't write him off. He can still be a mid-rotation guy or a power reliever.

13) Nolan Fontana, SS, Grade B-:
Walks walks walks walks. And solid defense too. We'll have to see if the rest of his bat holds up.

14) Asher Wojciechowski, RHP, Grade B-:
Came over in the Jays trade and looked better for it, was awesome in his last five Double-A starts (16/2 K/BB with 1.16 ERA). That could presage a breakout.

15) Robbie Grossman, OF, Grade B-
: Borderline C+. I probably like him more than I should, but I think his OBP skills would make him a useful fourth outfielder.

16) Marc Krauss, OF, Grade C+:
Good Double-A power numbers and drew tons of walks, but was helpless in Triple-A and is already 25 now. Probably a role-playing platoon bat with power.

17) Vincent Velasquez, RHP, Grade C+:
Tommy John survivor looked very good in the New York-Penn League, losing nothing off his 90-95 MPH fastball, good curve and change. Needs command refinements and stamina buildup, but I like him and he could rank much higher next year.

18) Adrian Houser, RHP, Grade C+:
Power arm with good sinker flashed plus stuff in Appalachian League. Mid-rotation upside but will need time to refine command.

19) Max Stassi, C, Grade C+:
ACQUIRED FROM ATHLETICS ON FEBRUARY 4. Produced power this year and showed he could catch again after injury problems. Not going to be a star, but should have value.

20) Ariel Ovando, OF, Grade C+:
More effective in return engagement in Appy League at age 18/19, hitting .287/.350/.444 and giving hope that $2,600,000 investment was not wasted. Still raw with strike zone but is tapping into his power now. High ceiling, high risk.

21) Aaron West, RHP, Grade C+:
One of the steals of the 2012 draft, showed outstanding command of very good stuff in the New York-Penn League. Could wind up as mid-rotation starter or power relief arm.

22) Brady Rodgers, RHP, Grade C+
: Gets more press than West and had higher profile in college at Arizona State. Stuff isn't as good but he knows how to pitch, could come quickly as inning-eater.

OTHER GRADE C+ PROSPECTS: Jose Cisnero, RHP; Nate Freiman, 1B; Joe Musgrove, RHP; Brett Oberholtzer, LHP; Carlos Perez, C; Preston Tucker, OF; Austin Wates, OF.

OTHERS: Andrew Aplin, OF; Bobby Borchering, OF; Colton Cain, LHP; Kevin Chapman, LHP; Kevin Comer, RHP; Josh Fields, RHP; Alex Gillingham, RHP; Matt Heidenreich, RHP; Tyler Heineman, C; Chia-Jen Lo, RHP; Kenny Long, LHP; Jo Mier, SS: Rudy Owens, LHP; Brett Phillips, OF, Ross Seaton, RHP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Depending on the player progression and training I have to argue that Cosart is at least an A-/B+, if he can put everything together.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I also forgot to mention that Jake Elmore may not have to be created, he did appear in 30 games with the diamondbacks last year.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr438
Depending on the player progression and training I have to argue that Cosart is at least an A-/B+, if he can put everything together.
His K/BB has been horrid, which usually signifies poor command. If the Astros insist on keeping him in the rotation he'll be a #3 at best, I honestly think he's better suited as a closer. I don't see his command improving much either... his delivery isn't conducive to throwing quality strikes, so I can't justify the bump to an A-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr438
I also forgot to mention that Jake Elmore may not have to be created, he did appear in 30 games with the diamondbacks last year.
Good catch, I updated the OP

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »