Home

Do prospects always pan out?

This is a discussion on Do prospects always pan out? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Rookie

Bobby Baseball's Arena

OVR: 1
Do prospects always pan out?

Do the prospects in the game always pan out to become stars or do some flop and become nobodys? With the downloaded roster I am using I have most real minor league players and prospects instead of the fake ones that come with the game. So, for example, with my rosters Cesar Puello and Jurickson Profar both have 5 star potential but they are both only 2 stars currently. Is there a chance that one of them achieves 5 stars while the other stays at 2 stars forever? Or is it a guarantee that they will both reach their full potential?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Pro

HadlerT's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Do prospects always pan out?

It depends on how they perform during the season.

Lets say Profar is rated 64, and Puello is rated 68. If Jurickson Profar hits .384 in AA, and Cesar Puello hits .202 in AAA, Profar will receive a attribute boost in the offseason and Puello will not/possibly go down.

So at the start of next season, Profar could be a 71 OVR now, because he hit so good last year, and Puello is a 65 now, cause he hit poorly.

The key is to let prospects mature in AAA, AA, and A until they are good enough to move on to the next level.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Leyenda

RoundingThird's Arena

OVR: 30

Yeah, you need to let them mature unless some of your big league guys get hurt and you need to call them up.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po1soNNN
Yeah, you need to let them mature unless some of your big league guys get hurt and you need to call them up.
This is especially true.

I noticed in my Twins franchise when I brought up a AAA prospect to fill in for some hurt guys, he did not progress well. This was because in the 2 months he spent at MLB he hit like .200. So I sort of "stunted" his growth. When I simmed a dummy Twins season before starting to see who might progress well (sorta cheating) that same guy hit .280 in AAA and progressed like +4 OVR points. But in my season this same guy only got +1 or +2 or something.

So letting guys mature in the first 2 or 3 development years in AA or AAA is pretty important, because they can accrue good stats on the easier minor leauge pitchers.

Remember also, there are only so many years where a player increases in ratings. His "growth years" as it were. Then they plateau for several years, then they begin declining in their 30's. So its important you maximize gains during their "growth" years. Or else you could really ruin a good prospect from ever gaining good stats.

Also make sure you have a good AAA manager with at least 80 or more "teaching" skill. That helps.

And make sure you hire a good scout. The more skill your scout has the more accurately they let you "see" how many potential stars a guy has.

In my same Twins franchise I acquired a 4 star guy in trade the CPU viewed as 3 star potential. This is because a skilled scout more accurately represents a player's star potential. Ever notice when you hire a new highly skilled scout the number of stars different players have changes? This is not because their actual potential changes, its because a better scout can detect potential more accurately for you.

Staff is important.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Rookie

Bobby Baseball's Arena

OVR: 1

Thanks for the help, I knew you had to let the players progress in the minors but its cool how the game actually recognizes that. I will try what you said about the scouts and minor league coaches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Banned

kylefoley94's Arena

OVR: 5

what roster are you guys using for your franchises that include these prospects? because I started updating my own roster and creating all the makor prospects for all teams, just wondering what file you guys use
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
MVP

MJHSpanda57's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylefoley94
what roster are you guys using for your franchises that include these prospects? because I started updating my own roster and creating all the makor prospects for all teams, just wondering what file you guys use
Ridin and Scott both have OSFM (Operation Sports Full Minors) based rosters. Ridin has more accurate minor league rosters as far as current AA/AAA levels. They both have most team's top prospects but Scott's roster has every 1st rounder that signed in this year's draft as well as about 40 later round guys in his roster.

Last edited by MJHSpanda57; 08-15-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Banned

kylefoley94's Arena

OVR: 5

Ridin and Scott did a roster for MLB 2K?!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »