Home

Pitching outside of the zone, online.

This is a discussion on Pitching outside of the zone, online. within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Rookie

SynShadowzz's Arena

OVR: 3
Pitching outside of the zone, online.

So, I'm still pretty new to playing MLB 2K12 online. I've been having fun in most of my games, played some terrific opponents, and enjoyed the overall experience.

I was playing against an opponent the other day as the Marlins. I was leading 6-1 in the 5th inning when my opponent messages me with an invite to join his league. I obliged. It's really the first online league I've ever been in, save a FIFA league from a few years ago.

I chose the Marlins, as my Rangers were already taken.

Anyways, I lose my first game 8-3 to the Braves. There was no cheesing, just straight up baseball. Good times.

My next match is against the League admin (using the Yankees).

I'm up 2-0 in the 2nd. I'm mixing up my pitches, going outside the zone a lot because well, my opponent bit on every pitch I threw. He swings at everything, so why give him anything good to hit? I wasn't throwing it 20 feet off the plate, just slightly outside the zone. I did throw strikes too, not a ton, but enough for the situation.

Well, my opponent apparently didn't like this. He messages me with "You have yet to throw inside the zone. This is your first warning. 3 warnings and you're suspended."

So let me get this straight... He swings at anything and everything, and I'M the jerk? What kind of strategy is that? "Hey ya, let me just groove some super hittable pitches when I can just use his impatience over and over again to get him out."

Isn't that baseball? Play to the game? If he's patient, I'll throw strikes. If he swings at everything, I'm going to strike him out.

Am I in the wrong here? Should I just throw nothing but strikes every pitch? Where's the strategy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Pitching outside of the zone, online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynShadowzz
Well, my opponent apparently didn't like this. He messages me with "You have yet to throw inside the zone. This is your first warning. 3 warnings and you're suspended."
Guy sounds like a borderline sociopath. If you choose to throw balls all the time, all the guy has to do is NOT SWING and he's going to score a bunch of runs. Apparently he's too dumb to grasp that simple concept, lol.

IMO, the only sensible and adult way to play the game, is to play it the way it's played in the Majors. And I've yet to see Joe Maddon threaten to kick Jim Leyland out of the Rays' dome if the Tigers' pitchers don't start throwing some strikes!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Rookie

SynShadowzz's Arena

Yeats, that's exactly my point.

I'm not going to groove fastballs over the middle of the plate if he's going to swing at outside pitches.

It's not hard to see the ball, and make a judgment before the ball crosses the plate. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. If I want to pitch to contact, I'll do that. However, I don't want to risk that all the time. If he's patient, and I get down in the count, I'll throw strikes (Just like in real baseball! )

If I throw a curveball into the dirt, a slider a bit outside, and he swings at both of those... I'm not coming back with a 93 MPH in the zone. I'm going to throw something outside and get him to chase it.

I'm not trying to cheese, I'm just trying to play baseball the way real baseball is played.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
I'm not trying to cheese, I'm just trying to play baseball the way real baseball is played.
Sounds like you're just wanting to find some reasonable adults to compete against, who wouldn't? And this league-admin dude you ended up playing ain't that, obviously.

Last edited by Yeats; 05-08-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

You did nothing wrong. If I see people loading up a power swing on EVERY PITCH, then yeah, they are going to get a lot of junk out of the zone until they can prove to me that they are capable of taking a few pitches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Rookie

SynShadowzz's Arena

Yates, Hope...

Stars for both of you.

Adults would be nice, yeah, but this guy was an adult. What I want are people who know how to play baseball.

If I'm swinging at junk, I fully expect my opponent to keep throwing it until I adjust and start taking pitches.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Adults would be nice, yeah, but this guy was an adult.
There are plenty of adults in the world who behave like children, lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 4

This is why I never play baseball games online. I've never played a person who wouldn't swing at everything. Not one person.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »