Home

Lot of come from behind wins: catchup?

This is a discussion on Lot of come from behind wins: catchup? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20
Lot of come from behind wins: catchup?

I've been really enjoying this game so far, but after a series of great games I'm becoming a little suspicious. It seems like every time I'm up a few runs late, the computer goes absolutely nuts. I just finished a game on all-star where i was up 6 runs in the 7th. I brought in a stud setup man, and in 10 pitches i was out of the inning without incident of any kind. Next, in the 8th, the Rockies proceed to rip 6 off me, off 3 different pitchers. They knock another 6 in during the 9th. I realized that I've lost 3+ run leads 3 times now in the 8th or later, and won none of those games.

Is this just me? I really hope it is, both because I like this game and because I thought we left the rubber band AI in the 90's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Rookie

RDMercer's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Lot of come from behind wins: catchup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
I've been really enjoying this game so far, but after a series of great games I'm becoming a little suspicious. It seems like every time I'm up a few runs late, the computer goes absolutely nuts. I just finished a game on all-star where i was up 6 runs in the 7th. I brought in a stud setup man, and in 10 pitches i was out of the inning without incident of any kind. Next, in the 8th, the Rockies proceed to rip 6 off me, off 3 different pitchers. They knock another 6 in during the 9th. I realized that I've lost 3+ run leads 3 times now in the 8th or later, and won none of those games.

Is this just me? I really hope it is, both because I like this game and because I thought we left the rubber band AI in the 90's.
I've only had 2 games where I was up really big...I mean more than 6 or 7 runs...but then again I haven't played many full games...In one I just got assaulted and I had a hard time figuring it out if it was the way I managed and played the game or some kind of comeback code that I had to deal with...In the other game I didn't see it but I also was just en fuego offensively so I just kept adding runs and keeping pace...something to check out for sure...I am having a blast with this game though...

Peace
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I had a game last night where i was up 3-0 in the 8. Finised with a win 3-2 after subbing my SP with SU in the 8th and CL in the 9th.

Or is it a issue only for higher leads?

L.E. also playing on AllStar
Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern

Im actually getting more come from behind wins then im giving up have won 3 in a row in my last at bat.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

I think the computer gets more aggressive in those situations. I have noticed that they swing at a ton of pitches outside late when I am up big. Try throwing less strikes in that situation next time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBAlki
I think the computer gets more aggressive in those situations. I have noticed that they swing at a ton of pitches outside late when I am up big. Try throwing less strikes in that situation next time.
I think this is what people need to start doing. I've noticed that after the 6th inning the CPU began scoring a lot more on me. I then began to mix my pitches. Throwing pitches out of zone & the CPU continued to be over-aggressive.

I'm not sure if it's "Comeback Code" but @ times it did feel as such
Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

I've never had this issue in either baseball game, but I see a lot of complaints about it.

Personally, I just try to mix my pitches, but not rely on breaking stuff or other secondary pitches too much. In other words, work the FB and use off speed and breaking stuff to throw hitters off. As was mentioned already, don't always stay around the zone too much. If you think about it, real hitters would react much the same way the CPU reacts. That is, if you are mostly over or around the plate, they aren't going to wait to get in a hole and will instead go after you. That's likely part of why the AI seems more aggressive late for some people.

Also, while "sticking with what works" is plausible, try to recognize when your approach is becoming less effective and be the one to adapt before the AI jumps on it. The AI isn't as brutally adaptive to your tendencies as The Show, but it does seem to recognize when you are hanging around the zone a lot. Don't wait for bases loaded before you switch gears. I'm not saying people don't know this already, but hopefully that helps some people out as, again, I've not had these issues.

I did this for someone who was having this issue with The Show last year, but the percentage of baseball games decided in later innings is very high, as is the number of games decided by one run. This further speaks to the fact that as starters tire and the bullpen is used, it opens a window for the offense and can create more scoring...especially with good and/or patient hitting teams. This means that some of what people are seeing is there, but it's likely more a product of solid representation than AI boosting.

I really think a lot of it with these games is that people fall into a comfort zone or rhythm and are maybe not playing it as tight later in games than they do at first. You have to remember by later in the game, if you're still using your starter, he should be wearing down and if you are bringing in relief, it's going to be a readjustment (even in real baseball it's kind of a crapshoot with relief in some ways, but with this, we're also dealing with the added video game aspect of adjusting to new ratings, etc.). So, it's understandable that just because you're cruising through the first half of a game, it doesn't mean it can't go south fast.

Another thing (and I'm not saying this necessarily applies to anyone here) but I know more than a few people who are looking for the AI to "cheat." If you are spending your later innings wondering if you are going to get hosed, it's going to feel like you are more often than not. It's kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Instead of focusing on making the right moves or good strategy, you start worrying too much about what might be wrong with the game.

There are going to be times when there is something goofy with the AI in these games. It's a program that has limits, so that's pretty much a given. In my experience though, there's been no more issue in late innings than early ones. Obviously, given the spotlight closer situations will get in addition to the added variables of fatigue, pitching changes, etc, it will be more noticeable when it counts.

Again, I'm not claiming this applies to everyone, but hopefully some of this helps people out when they feel they are running into something.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 03-23-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

The main thing has already been suggested: Throw more balls out of the strike zone.

The second thing is to look at the overall rating of your SP vs. your relievers. Usually, the SP ratings are much higher, meaning you're bringing in a pitcher that isn't as good. He's less likely to blow a fastball by a hitter just because he's got great stuff. So your pitching has to be more clever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »