Home

Player development

This is a discussion on Player development within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Player development

I dont know about you guys but for some reason none of my players develop into good ball players. I draft people with 90+ potentials but they never go over become great like I expect. I know not everyone is going to be great but I know that at least one has to become good. I think the best someone has ever gotten was 79 and he was a SS. He was around 28 when he became 79 so I got rid of him cause he wanted money. Next thing I know he is with the Dodgers leading the league in avg., runs, and stolen bases. My coaches are the best I can get. I dont know what to do. Anyone have any advice. Ive thought of just calling them all up to the Majors and play every game with this team so they all do good and hopefully get better. Please help!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Player development

Having the exact same problem. Also with pitchers rating randomly dropping 5-6 points after having a great season. Is there any info out there about how the stat system functions?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Rookie

randogu's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf123
I dont know about you guys but for some reason none of my players develop into good ball players. I draft people with 90+ potentials but they never go over become great like I expect. I know not everyone is going to be great but I know that at least one has to become good. I think the best someone has ever gotten was 79 and he was a SS. He was around 28 when he became 79 so I got rid of him cause he wanted money. Next thing I know he is with the Dodgers leading the league in avg., runs, and stolen bases. My coaches are the best I can get. I dont know what to do. Anyone have any advice. Ive thought of just calling them all up to the Majors and play every game with this team so they all do good and hopefully get better. Please help!
I've been thinking about this as well, though I'm only halfway through YR 2 of my franchise.

One thing I wonder about is your SCOUTS abilities having an effect on what you see for potentials and how much you can trust that rating to be true. If you have a low rated SCOUT, do you see a 90 potential for a player that a high rated SCOUT would see as a 70 potential?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Rookie

Doesn't look like scouting has anything to do with it. I upgraded my scout from a 75 to 85 and didn't see any changes in POT rating. Stat system i guess is just buggy/pointless. I saved my chise and simmed a few seasons ahead and none of my top prospects gained any rating, but Johnny Damon(who i had benched at the time) jumped up 3 points past his potential..
Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Rookie

Yeah, the exact same thing happens to me. Players that are already in the league seem to get better and people who you get through the draft and what not dont change. All we can do is hope they fix it in next years game. I hope they change it to The Shows system of letters and not numbers. The numbers are to exact while the letters give you a idea. Maybe they might fix it by september in an update.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Guys,the player development in this game has been screwed up for years.You ever notice how every pitchers OVR drops off the face of the earth after the first year?For some reason the walk tendency rating goes up no matter what(you could throw 33 perfect games with Roy Halladay and he would drop -10ovr) which is why the end of the year stats are so screwed up.Very rarley will a pitcher win more than 10-12 games a year,and once every couple you will see a little more(also ERA is a big prob,jaime garcia when 20-9 in my last season with a 5.01 ERA,and he was the only person besides me to win more than 12 games).
Same for hitters but its usually the opposite,they will keep getting better even if their 44 and hit .122 for the season they will improve or stay the same.
Drafted players from what i see never really improve very much no matter what.Best thing you can do is self adjust them based on stats and such.

Last edited by SphillyBG; 07-07-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 32

For as much as I've enjoyed this game at times, there could not be a bigger oxymoron than "player development' when talking about this game.

There's just no such thing. It's completely broken.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

Yeah, it's a shame. I had been having fun playing the game (baseball back on the PC, yay!), but the inability to develop players just killed the fun for me. Why bother drafting and trading to rebuild a team, only to have the players never develop. For me, that's a big part of what I want to do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »