Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Gameplay Video (Mets @ Cubs)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Gameplay Video (Mets @ Cubs) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #89
Banned

OVR: 38
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Gameplay Video (Mets @ Cubs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I do not believe this for one minute. Have any proof of this? The engine is the same every year, just tweaked and Frankenstein one way or another.

There is no way they built a new engine from scratch, but all the existing animations from years ago, and graphical quirks from years ago are still there. Especially when it looks the same, only texture and light issues every other year.

2K uses the same engine structure across all their sports games this gen.
Hes a Mod at 2k forums for what its worth I kind of believe him do to the lacking player models in both 2k NHL and MLB after VC took um over to address the framerate problems both games had back then .
But I could have sworn nhl 2k9 had alot of older nhl 2k3 or 4 in it , old code stuff IMO .

Last edited by dorismary; 02-19-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #90
Banned

OVR: 6

The one thing that concerns is we only got one inning of cpu batting. The cpu swung at everything minus the pitcher who took pitches. The 1st batter, 1st pitch and out. Perez took a bunch of pitches. Reyes took the first pitch then grounded out. This also coincides with Reiner having low pitch counts and being able to go the distance so much. I hope this isn't a case of the AI being too reliant on inside edge. Last year you could basically pick spots where the AI would swing and wouldn't swing depending on their percentages from that spot which made the AI very predictable after a while. Last year the pitcher would take pitches and rookies(who don't have IE intel on them) which made the game very unbalanced. IE wasn't integrated correctly last year and the game was basically broken because of it. If that's the case, that visual concepts has gotten the feel and look of the pitcher and batter duels but the AI itself is still sketchy that kind of makes the game very shallow. We will have to wait and see I guess. In one of their insights they said they overhauled IE but I didn't see it there.

Letters and numbers are important from an aethetic standpoint, and attention to detail but if the gameplay is just broken that's a bigger issue to me at least. It can be the greatest looking game in the world, but if it doesn't play right what's the point?

One thing I liked is when he missed his gesture and threw a bad gesture pitch it missed the strike zone and affected the accuracy quite a bit. The batter(Perez) had two strikes on him and swung at a pitch out of the zone.

Last edited by kgisbeast; 02-19-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #91
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I find this hard to believe. Have any proof of this?

The engine is the same every year, just tweaked and Frankenstein one way or another.

There is no way they built a new engine from scratch, but all the existing animations from years ago, and graphical quirks from years ago are still there. Especially when it looks the same, only texture and light issues every other year.
We get it. You don't like the way the game looks, sounds, feels, etc. We've only heard you for a month now. - Same song and dance, broken record You like the Show, we know. I do too. I think it's a better game but some people (me included) want to play 2K as well and not hear the same gripes, only in different words, over and over and over and over.

Everyone complaining for the last month in the 2K forums have The Show avatars. Why sit in these forums and moan, everytime I check the boards it's the same group of people in here saying the same recycled thing.

I'm not trying to be rude...it's just getting really old.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #92
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

I don't know what to say. I honestly don't get some of the "miles ahead" or "huge improvement" comments. There are certainly aspects that improvement is noticeable, but many that also look just the same and some aspects that seem to actually be worse than 2K9. I'm hesitant to say I'm disappointed, for fear of coming off as dramatic as some of the praise is to me. I'll just say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed with what I saw.

Pros: Some of the base animations look better. Running in particular looked much more fluid overall and less robotic. Very happy with that.

-Stadium looks much less "cartoony" and better overall. First impression of Wrigley was VERY positive. BIG improvement for me here.

-Lighting looks much improved. I think this is why so many people think the player models are much better. It really helps certain things "pop."

-While not perfect, the fielding seemed less jerky than 2K9. You can notice some of the newer animations in there.

Cons: The uniforms are embarrassingly bad. I'm no programmer, so I won't say "how hard can it be..." but I would like to think that professionals can at least be in the right ballpark (pun intended) with these. The numbers are hideous.

-Some of the same bad animations still showing up and transition animations still look disjointed.

-Crowd showed more duplicates in close proximity than 2K9, I think. I thought they did a solid job last year. This is VERY minor though.

-The commentary actually takes a hit with Kruk added...and it's not just because it's Kruk. He sounds canned like his audio was spliced in with the other two. It's obvious. This was something that 2K had over the competition-the flow of the commentary. It's still there with Phillips and Thorne, but Kruk really sounds thrown together. Not the end of the world as it's still quite good overall, but I don't see why they bothered, to be honest. It was (and still is) better without him).

These are all based on initial impressions without digging in deep. I don't see how so many people can weigh in with such confidence on the state of game play (on either end of the spectrum) as to me it's as much about feel as it is about visual. Visually, I'm unimpressed. We'll see on the "feel" part.

Nothing here really swayed me either way, which is unfortunate. I would like to think the improvements would shine through more than they did here. Hopefully the improvements to the AI, logic, mechanics, etc make for a solid game and that's were the improvements will shine. I guess the bright side is, I can work past all of the visual negatives (particularly on PC since I can actually fix some of them) if the game play turn out alright. No way to tell until I have my hands on the game.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 02-19-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: forgot lighting...
Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
I just wasn't sure if I heard it correctly. It confused me at first the way the action played out.

I just wish since baseball is about details and little things, they were more attentive to the uniform numbers and lettering. They are ll the same on every uniform. How are they not using the ones that were in 2K7, it is the same engine.
didn't the MLB 10 trailer have the same problem?

it was a inning ending double play but they stood in the field still?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #94
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunityCollege
didn't the MLB 10 trailer have the same problem?

it was a inning ending double play but they stood in the field still?
Yeah, and that was discussed there, this is 2K, not The Show.

I wasn't sure if I heard it correctly or not, that is why I mentioned it, the color commentary seemed confusing with the play by play.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #95
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

Quote:
I find this hard to believe. Have any proof of this?

The engine is the same every year, just tweaked and Frankenstein one way or another.

The graphics engine apparently was rebuilt from ground up...at least according to simballer from VC who came by a few times last year. I don't see why he'd make it up (not saying you're implying that!) so I guess I'll take his word for it. I think the stadiums are good evidence of it though.

I would think the animations are a different animal and they admitted that they got virtually zero attention last year.

I do agree that it's odd that many of the same visual issues still occur, however.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #96
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I don't know what to say. I honestly don't get some of the "miles ahead" or "huge improvement" comments. There are certainly aspects that improvement is noticeable, but many that also look just the same and some aspects that seem to actually be worse than 2K9. I'm hesitant to say I'm disappointed, for fear of coming off as dramatic as some of the praise is to me. I'll just say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed with what I saw.

Pros: Some of the base animations look better. Running in particular looked much more fluid overall and less robotic. Very happy with that.

-Stadium looks much less "cartoony" and better overall. First impression of Wrigley was VERY positive. BIG improvement for me here.

-While not perfect, the fielding seemed less jerky than 2K9. You can notice some of the newer animations in there.

Cons: The uniforms are embarrassingly bad. I'm no programmer, so I won't say "how hard can it be..." but I would like to think that professionals can at least be in the right ballpark (pun intended) with these. The numbers are hideous.

-Some of the same bad animations still showing up and transition animations still look disjointed.

-Crowd showed more duplicates in close proximity than 2K9, I think. I thought they did a solid job last year. This is VERY minor though.

-The commentary actually takes a hit with Kruk added...and it's not just because it's Kruk. He sounds canned like his audio was spliced in with the other two. It's obvious. This was something that 2K had over the competition-the flow of the commentary. It's still there with Phillips and Thorne, but Kruk really sounds thrown together. Not the end of the world as it's still quite good overall, but I don't see why they bothered, to be honest. It was (and still is) better without him).

These are all based on initial impressions without digging in deep. I don't see how so many people can weigh in with such confidence on the state of game play (on either end of the spectrum) as to me it's as much about feel as it is about visual. Visually, I'm unimpressed. We'll see on the "feel" part.

Nothing here really swayed me either way, which is unfortunate. I would like to think the improvements would shine through more than they did here. Hopefully the improvements to the AI, logic, mechanics, etc make for a solid game and that's were the improvements will shine. I guess the bright side is, I can work past all of the visual negatives (particularly on PC since I can actually fix some of them) if the game play turn out alright. No way to tell until I have my hands on the game.
I think the overall look and feel of the game as far as sound and lightning and physics is very good. You can see a huge overhaul in that area. At least I can. The player models and stadiums and overall look and the way players animate is much improved at least from a pitcher and batter perspective. The graphics and sound pop. I can see hte new skeletons ie what nba 2k10 did and what they did. The stadiums same thing. They also cleaned up the presentation as far as overlays etc. That's first glance. As far as aethetic stuff and attention to detail maybe not. People are right about the numbers and letters not being sewn on and being too big. That's aethetic stuff though. The bat sounds are also the same like people are saying. We didn't see a whole lot there from an AI perspective either. I'm not saying that stuff doesn't add up either and isn't important. You can end up witha very nice looking game that ends up being fairly shallow that way. I do think they did overhaul a lot of the big things though.

Last edited by kgisbeast; 02-19-2010 at 12:24 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »