Home

Not the Bottom of the Ninth, But a Big At-Bat Coming For MLB 2K10

This is a discussion on Not the Bottom of the Ninth, But a Big At-Bat Coming For MLB 2K10 within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #97
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Not the Bottom of the Ninth, But a Big At-Bat Coming For MLB 2K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
How is it not a abination? They didnt release patches for the ps3 version of there games. In fact they have not supported the ps3 in 2 years. pastapadre has nothing to do with that.
Please. How is it an abomination? Is the title as good as it should be? No, absolutely not. The game isn't as polished as The Show is, but they have innovated in important areas where The Show has not, both in terms of gameplay and presentation. I've read many people prefer the more immersive use of right stick batting/pitching/fielding controls over button presses. I don't see too many people making the argument that MLB2K needs to adopt a button press control scheme. Same with presentation; no one's saying MLB2K needs to go the route of adding tons of cutscenes. In fact, I've read The Show's devs themselves admit that realtime presentation - which was introduced in MLB2K9 [in terms of baseball games] - is the future in terms of presentation. The interruptible commentary introduced in 2K9 was revolutionary last year and taken several levels beyond with NBA2K10.

Point being, MLB2K6 was an abomination. Acting as if 2K9 is no better - or as some try to argue, worse - is a ridiculous overstatement. MLB2K9 didn't light the world on fire, but it was far from deserving labeled as the worst sports title. The game suffers because it's constantly compared to a game that's considered to be the best baseball game ever. If it had to luxury of only being able to be compared to itself like Madden is, I think perception would be a little different.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 12-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #98
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I don't see too many people making the argument that MLB2K needs to adopt a button press control scheme.

MLB2K9 didn't light the world on fire, but it was far from deserving labeled as the worst sports title.
MLB 2K already has a button press control scheme, is why.

I'm not sure which of the major sports titles you would consider worse than MLB 2K series. Nothing that EA or SCEA produces is worse, certainly. I'd say the only series that might be worse would be the NHL 2K series. The point being that if it isn't the worst, then it's at least vying for that title along with another 2K product.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #99
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Please. How is it an abomination? Is the title as good as it should be? No, absolutely not. The game isn't as polished as The Show is, but they have innovated in important areas where The Show has not, both in terms of gameplay and presentation.
But what good is all that innovation is the results are sub-par? I'd rather have no innovation and solid results than tons and tons of innovation and mediocre results.

Last edited by metal134; 12-24-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #100
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
But what good is all that innovation is the results are sub=par? I'd rather have no innovation and solid results than tons and tons of innovation and mediocre results.
The problem is, IMO, that 2K thought they couldn't market a game that just played solid baseball and istead focused on one or two additional things each year that looked and sonded pretty on the back of the box.

Now, the other game can. Think about their commercial with Pedrioa last year, which basically said the MVP can't hit the high inside fastball in real life and won't be able to in our game either. And we're not going to jeopardize realism for anyone, even the MVP and our cover boy.

Maybe 2K is going to try and go this way this year with their Pitcher vs. Batter commercials, but if they are going to shy away from innovation for a year and focus stricly on the nuts and bolts of baseball, they have to deliver 100% otherwise, what hope do we have.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #101
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

The thing is, I think 2K can make a solid baseball game. The foundation is there, it just needs a lot of polish. Even the MLB series, to me, didn't reach it's potential until 09. They still have a chance to get it right. That being said, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #102
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
The thing is, I think 2K can make a solid baseball game. The foundation is there, it just needs a lot of polish. Even the MLB series, to me, didn't reach it's potential until 09. They still have a chance to get it right. That being said, I'm not going to hold my breath.

I guess it depends on how one defines foundation. Personally, I don't think this game is close when it comes to the basic fundamentals of baseball.

I'm not talking about anything graphic, animation or presentation related, but just the nuts and bolts of the actual sport; the brain behind the game is lacking.

Here is what I mean:

-When the AI pitches, there appears to be no logic behind their pitches and each pitch is nothing more than just a random choice. There is nothing I have seen that makes me thing the computer reacts to what just happened. If you chase a curve in the dirt, the computer doesn't catch on and throw that same pitch. If you take the first pitch 25 straight times, the computer will still try and throw a breaking pitch on the corner, etc.

-When the AI hits, they swing at everything. There aren't any different offensive personalities or philosophies for different hitters. Every hitter is ultra agressive and instead of waiting for their pitch, they just swing at any pitch.

-The computer never hit and runs and everytime they steal the hitter takes the pitch (even with 2 strikes). I can't say I've ever even seen the AI hitter swing and miss while the runner is stealing.

-4 step lead at first = a guaranteed throw regardless of how many times you make it back to first safely. 10, 20, 30 times in a row they will continue to throw over.

-No runners on and the hitter shows bunt way too early for a bunt for a hit.

The list goes on and on, but my point is that while they may have a foundation in place for a baseball game, they don't have one in place, IMO, for a good baseball game. My concern is and always has been with this series is that they don't have baseball saavy people making the baseball game and if that is true, how can this game ever be great?
Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #103
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I guess it depends on how one defines foundation. Personally, I don't think this game is close when it comes to the basic fundamentals of baseball.

I'm not talking about anything graphic, animation or presentation related, but just the nuts and bolts of the actual sport; the brain behind the game is lacking.

Here is what I mean:

-When the AI pitches, there appears to be no logic behind their pitches and each pitch is nothing more than just a random choice. There is nothing I have seen that makes me thing the computer reacts to what just happened. If you chase a curve in the dirt, the computer doesn't catch on and throw that same pitch. If you take the first pitch 25 straight times, the computer will still try and throw a breaking pitch on the corner, etc.

-When the AI hits, they swing at everything. There aren't any different offensive personalities or philosophies for different hitters. Every hitter is ultra agressive and instead of waiting for their pitch, they just swing at any pitch.

-The computer never hit and runs and everytime they steal the hitter takes the pitch (even with 2 strikes). I can't say I've ever even seen the AI hitter swing and miss while the runner is stealing.

-4 step lead at first = a guaranteed throw regardless of how many times you make it back to first safely. 10, 20, 30 times in a row they will continue to throw over.

-No runners on and the hitter shows bunt way too early for a bunt for a hit.

The list goes on and on, but my point is that while they may have a foundation in place for a baseball game, they don't have one in place, IMO, for a good baseball game. My concern is and always has been with this series is that they don't have baseball saavy people making the baseball game and if that is true, how can this game ever be great?

Great post man. I agree with everything you said in there. It's the baseball thats broken in their game.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #104
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs nation
Great post man. I agree with everything you said in there. It's the baseball thats broken in their game.

Ditto

Lets hope they do make some substantial progress for the sake of gaming, and competition making things better for the gamer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »