Home

For those that love cursor hitting

This is a discussion on For those that love cursor hitting within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5
For those that love cursor hitting

Where do you put this game in comparison to other baseball games that had cursor hitting? Is this up there with the best baseball games? I know that they've patched it a couple of times, so have the issues been mostly addressed?

I'm really interested in this game as I have to have cursor hitting in my baseball games. I'm nodding my head reading through all the comments about hit variety and the satisfaction that cursor hitting brings. I don't have a 360 but this game has me interested in getting one.

Let's hear some feedback on the game, i.e. fielding, pitching, fun, realism, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: For those that love cursor hitting

IMO, the hit variety is maybe the best ever. It feels like real-time bat-on-ball physics. But the system itself is horribly clunky and the bat cursor is a real eyesore, and I'd say it's the worst zone hitting system I've played from that perspective. Next year's game might be the one to consider. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to go out and buy a 360 for MLB 2K9.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
IMO, the hit variety is maybe the best ever. It feels like real-time bat-on-ball physics. But the system itself is horribly clunky and the bat cursor is a real eyesore, and I'd say it's the worst zone hitting system I've played from that perspective. Next year's game might be the one to consider. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to go out and buy a 360 for MLB 2K9.
Hey Baa, I agree with you here. Just got the game for $15 today (from ebay) and actually liked it (for the ps3 by the way). Maybe I'm being biased because I love the pitching aspect of baseball (was one myself in college), but the pitching in 2k9 is much better than the shows IMHO.

Although the show plays one good game of baseball, I don't think I can go back to it simply because of this. The hit variety is pretty darn good to say the least, although it is a small sample.

And to answer your question, Baa is right. I don't think getting a 360 just for this game would be a wise investment. Fortunately, I am a ps3 owner and now have both. 2k9 will probably see more action in the comming weeks because the presentation is the best I've heard to date and the pitching is very exciting. Just an opinion
Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

As Baa7 said, visually it's a bit of an eye sore. The graphic is too bright and can draw your eyes away from the action. It would have been much better if it was transparent and blended in with the background instead of being the central focus.

However, if you can look past this, it's awsome. The movement reactcs very fluid with the controller and again, as Baa7 said, the physics of the system are top notch. The direction and trajectory of the ball seem to be completely dependent on how and where the ball connects with the bat.

The best part is, the sky is almost the limit as far as difficulty goes as I find the system challenging with pitch speed at 60-65, and you can take it all the way up to 100.

IMO, besides the bright graphic of the cursor, the only other bad part about the system is the check swing. Instead of being dependant on how light or hard you press the button, it seems random. So even if you barely tap the button, which should just barely move the bat, it often commits to a swing, which kind of makes the check swing pointless in my mind.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

What has me intrigued are the comments about hit variety. That was an issue with All-Star Baseball 2005, and it's the reason I couldn't stick with it even though the cursor hitting setup was pretty nice.

Presently I'm still playing through seasons of Griffey's Slugfest on the 64 because it has great hit variety with cursor hitting.

I bought Power Pros, but my issue with that was having to switch between a power swing and contact swing. I prefer using an all-purpose swing -- knowing that if I bullseye the ball I might be rewarded with blasts.

I'm pretty patient with cursor hitting so I think I can overcome the distracting visual issues. It took me probably 30-40 games to ramp up my hitting ability on Slugfest at the highest difficulty level -- knowing that this game offers so many difficulty options is pretty cool because Slugfest isn't much of a challenge anymore.

Any thoughts on the fielding? That's right up there for me in baseball games and replay value. I like to feel like I'm really making the plays, much like how cursor hitting lets you feel like you're really fielding.

Thanks for the feedback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

Let's not talk about the fielding

Cursor hitting changed my whole perspective of the game. I was getting bored with the same old hits and elevated stats due to the swing system. Once I switched over to cursor I could not hit a dang thing. I was ready to throw in the towel and then decided to try aiming with left stick and swinging with the right stick (rather than pushing a button). For some reason or another, suddenly my coordination was way better (I attribute this to playing a lot of Call of Duty, which requires very sensitive movements from both sticks).

Anyways, this change, paired up with a good slider set will make all the difference in the world.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I actually got to 100 pitch speed and it's fun and a crazy challenge. I had the show for a month from a friend and had to turn my pitch speed down to 75 and I had fun trying to work back to 100. The hit variety is great though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »