Home

Yesterday I put in 2k5, 2k6, 2k7, 2k8 & then 2k9...

This is a discussion on Yesterday I put in 2k5, 2k6, 2k7, 2k8 & then 2k9... within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 11
Yesterday I put in 2k5, 2k6, 2k7, 2k8 & then 2k9...

I'm not going to talk about 2k5 because that was last gen but when they got to this gen it has been all up hill...

I remember patiently anticipated 2k6 for the 360. I figured, with all this power and the way PGR2 (I believe?) looked, I thought these stadiums have got to come to life and look just as photo realistic as that game did. Boy was I wrong!

Then came 2k7 and I was like ok there getting somewhere now! It wasn't the greatest and it definitely had it's issues but this was the game that 2k6 should have been IMO. It was by far their best looking baseball game and quite frankly 2 iterations later, still is.

2k8 was IMO just a real mess in almost everyway. The best thing they did was set the ground work for the pitching & throwing mechanics. Graphics went backwards, game play was boring, announcing was stale and the same etc...

So, that brings me to 2k9 and VC taking over! I was like finally, I am going to have the game I have wanted for the past 3 long years! Ah, no again! I'm like you have to be kidding me. While graphically an improvement over 2k8 (gee that was a tuff one to accomplish) they cleaned up SOME of the frame rate hiccups when panning the field, added some really cool camera adjustments, attempted some nice presentation cameras and made pitching with the stick more user friendly and adding top notch commentary. The problem is in doing so the game does not play a fun and realistic game of baseball. I can't even get through a full 9 inning game anymore without some stupid AI hiccup ruining the experience for me. Whether it's me or the AI letting the ball hit them in the head, hitting to many or not any HR's (depending on the team you are using & sliders), the cpu going through some sort of god like at bats where it's impossible to get them out all of the sudden or the extremely irritation stuttering that happens if you don't play it on "hurry up". The players don't know if they should walk slowly, or fast, jog, sprint, turn or stop..... so they just do them all in one animation sequence! That really kills it for me!

Sorry for the rant but every year I look forward to the spring and summer nights, after a long days work to kick back, have a beer and play some good ole baseball. It's been like 5 years since I enjoyed that!
Blitz
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Yesterday I put in 2k5, 2k6, 2k7, 2k8 & then 2k9...

I've enjoyed 2K9. You should try my sliders:

http://www.osatwork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305595

2k9 isn't prefect but IMO is fun, and has been quite the challenge at times too w/ my sliders. You'll get a very variable experience, as many have attested to in my thread.

Give'em a try...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I've enjoyed 2K9. You should try my sliders:

http://www.osatwork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305595

2k9 isn't prefect but IMO is fun, and has been quite the challenge at times too w/ my sliders. You'll get a very variable experience, as many have attested to in my thread.

Give'em a try...
Thank you. Are they on 2kshare?

I have played with BFJ's and many others and even tweaked my own a bit from BFJ's. The problem I have isn't really with sliders, the amount or lack of hits & hr's (depending on the teams you use) it's more over the inconsistantcies of the gameplay and the annimation quircks that are all over the place with their new presentation style. No sliders to my knowledge can ulter the ball bouncing off my head or the AI's head fo rno reason at all. Cathing a fly ball should be challenging but not because i bumped my controller and my outfield had a conniption fit! lol I only really use the pirates and even the AI fielders seem to mess up all the time and cost themselves runs. I would have been thrown out so many times at 3rd & home but instead the cut the ball off! Other times I am clearly out at the plate but the call me safe!

I really try to enjoy this game and I will continue to put in it in hoping for a good stretch of games but I realize what the result is going ot be unfortunatley.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

That is my problem, I am using JBH's sliders and my stats and scores are in line and the game is fun, then I have 2 games where the stupid stuff pops up and all the fun fades away, this could be the 1st time since 2001 that I don't finish a season on a baseball game.

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

i had 2k5,7, and now 9. imo, 2k5 was a good game but it was way too easy. also, speed was rediculous. with juan pierre, all i had to do was bunt, and then steal 2nd and 3rd. at the end of my season, pierre was batting over .700 and had over 300 steals. talk about a career year lol. the best part was his 35 homeruns and 80 rbis. not to mention his 100 runs.

2k7 was a good game. better than 2k5 imo. however, it was too homer happy. i had adam laroche with 66 rbis, but 45 homeruns. and they robbed at least 25 of his homers.

2k9 imo is the best out of the 3. there are a few glitches, but none of those are game breakers for me. (no collision detection doesnt bother me in the slightest bit) the only thing that i find wrong with 2k9 is the franchise bugs. this is the sole reason why i buy baseball games, and it gets realeased broken, and has some major bugs.

to recap: 2k9>2k7>2k5

looks like an improvement to me. i did not play 2k8 however as i was still playing 2k7.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlstudios189
That is my problem, I am using JBH's sliders and my stats and scores are in line and the game is fun, then I have 2 games where the stupid stuff pops up and all the fun fades away, this could be the 1st time since 2001 that I don't finish a season on a baseball game.
I couldn't agree more. I even went out and rented a PS3 and the Show just to see what all of the fuss was about and I can understand why they PS3 people love it. It is bitter smooth and is really night and day to our game. I put 2k9 back in after playing that and it was like putting in an xbox game that didn't annimate well at all! lol
Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I disagree, with the guy above, 2K7 was the best current gen game, how sad is that? If they just expanded and improved that, we would have a game equal to the show, instead they keep touchung features everyyear that didn't need touching, and taking features out that people expect.

2K7 is also light years ahead graphically, 2K9 looks amateurish at times, especially the animations. Why didn't they just build off this, instead of making a game that looks worse?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
The players don't know if they should walk slowly, or fast, jog, sprint, turn or stop..... so they just do them all in one animation sequence! That really kills it for me!
That killls it for me as well. I can deal with games that have issues here and there, but one thing I can't deal with are the cruddy, weird animations you see in MLB 2K9, and in NHL 2K9 as well. It's not like bad commentary or something you can just shut off -- you have stare at that goofy animation stuff all game long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »