Home

the over analyzing of MLB 2k9...good or bad sign?

This is a discussion on the over analyzing of MLB 2k9...good or bad sign? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
the over analyzing of MLB 2k9...good or bad sign?

I'm 27 years old, been gaming since I was about 6 or 7, been surfing online game forums since you had to install AOL with those little white floppy disks...

I've never seen a game analyzed and dissected down to a tee before its release the way MLB 2k9 has been. not any game - sports or otherwise...and not just on this site, but all over the internet:

- players have large trap muscles
- too much organ music
- questionable hits
- fans not responding realistically
- framerate issues (despite what espn and game informer says lol)
- uniform accuracy
- stadium accuracy
tons more but you get the idea....

on one hand, this could just be nothing more than the foreshadowing of yet ANOTHER sub-par 2k baseball project by gamers across the internet...or, is this just the byproduct of the PS3 vs XBOX360, or MLB THE SHOW vs 2k BASEBALL wars...

so what do you think? are these concerns legit, or not?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: the over analyzing of MLB 2k9...good or bad sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwoodz
I've never seen a game analyzed and dissected down to a tee before its release the way MLB 2k9 has been.
You don't visit the Madden forums then. This is no different than many games around here.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
MVP

deucepoppi17's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm in the same boat as you with the age thing.....but i think the "honeymoon" of next-gen is way past us and people are waiting for that one dynamic game that takes our breath away. Sony and Microsoft have been pimping their systems to us for 5+ years and we have yet to see a sports game that is way beyond everything else we've seen.

And the companies excuse of "we are revamping last years edition" instead of adding new things is getting very old. The turnover in video games is ridic and the fans are just waiting for a conisitent development team.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Rookie

The Living Legend's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree i am 29 years old, and basically gamers today are spoiled nothing more nothing less, i played Baseball 4200 on atari as well as the RBI baseballs and back then we were lucky to have the real MLB teams let alone stadiums.

And what sux is that coming onto boards i have slowly become spoiled as well and it sux, its like we should be lucky we have the things we have in a game.

Like i read on here its insane what people expect in there games, like shoes or guards, tattoo's, eye wear etc... its ridiculous, but unfortunately that is the way games are no people want everything which is nice to an extent.

I think what makes thing is when things are given in a game and then taken out the next year like dynamic lighting or graphics. That is what i get mad about the most if stuff is not in it then nobody cares but when another game put it certain aspects of a game like real time scoreboards or correct shoes, we expect it in every game to follow which in all tents and purposes is a legit argument. Those are some of my thoughts.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Much of the "over analyzing" is due to the fact that you have people who were fans of many different games a few years ago who are now forced to choose from one single title if they own a 360...and it just so happens that that one title has a very poor track record over the past three years, which drives a ton of skeptism (sp?). So part of it right there is that you have people who were spread out over several forms a few years ago, consolidated into one.

Plus every person has their own agenda for what is important to them. For some it's strictly gameplay, for others it's presentation and others it's franchise and for most it's a mix of everything.

Whether something is legit is up to the person. Things that concern you won't concern me. Things that I see as wrong, may not even hit your radar. Things that I enjoy about the game, you may not and vice versa for all of that.

Each persons experience and opinion of this game (and any game) is a by product of their expectations and their preferences.

If something is factually wrong and it bothers someone, who is anyone else to say it's rediculous? To say so shows complete disregard to the fact that each person, as an individual, has their own likes, dislikes, tastes and preferences.

Finally, like you many people have grown up and don't want to play baseball games anymore where a player hits .500 85 HR's and knocks in 200 runs. They don't want a game where they can used certain cheat tactics that will knowingly beat the computer. People crave realism in their sports games and when things are off, they want them fixed...especially when you have game developers every year bragging that their game is "the most realistic experience available".

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 02-23-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucepoppi17
I'm in the same boat as you with the age thing.....but i think the "honeymoon" of next-gen is way past us and people are waiting for that one dynamic game that takes our breath away. Sony and Microsoft have been pimping their systems to us for 5+ years and we have yet to see a sports game that is way beyond everything else we've seen.
- wow. I couldn't agree more, very well stated especially about NEXT GEN gaming - to hell with just sports games, the games in GENERAL aren't really all that mind blowing with a few exceptions...but I digress.

i guess my question is - who here really thinks that IGN/Game Informer are going to rate the game based on organ music, or whether or not david ortiz can "REALLY" hit that pitch out of the park..
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
- i guess my question is - who here really thinks that IGN/Game Informer are going to rate the game based on organ music, or whether or not david ortiz can "REALLY" hit that pitch out of the park..
Ign are not baseball fans. Just watch their gameplay videos and you will see.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
- i guess my question is - who here really thinks that IGN/Game Informer are going to rate the game based on organ music, or whether or not david ortiz can "REALLY" hit that pitch out of the park..
I don't think most people around here are concerned with IGN's ratings or use them as a tool to purchase a game. Most will trust the regular people on here much more than a guy's review of the game, who has no business reviewing a baseball game. If anything, IGN's review will get chastized here simply because they will nit-pick some minute detail that doesn't concern the meat and potatoes of the game and knock the score down because of it.

Quote:
- are these gripes legitimate concerns, or people just simply nit picking all of these videos apart for whatever reason?
Again, depends on the person. Each person will have their order of preferences and their concerns will fall in that order.

Organ music isn't one of my major concerns about the game, but it annoys me to a point, so if someone brings it up, I'll chime in to agree with them. I'm not going to start a thread about it, but if someone's thing is real baseball atmosphere (over gameplay or realistic stats) and they feel that it's not portrayed right, then let them gripe.

The way I see it is there are people who want a feature where they can sit in the crowd and watch a game and feel like they are at the ballpark. This, to me is a complete waste of everything that goes into a game and is just rediculous. But if someone wants it, it's not going to impact me one way or the other, so I see no point in saying anything negative about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »