Home

Earl Weaver Baseball let us BUILD our OWN stadiums in 1986!

This is a discussion on Earl Weaver Baseball let us BUILD our OWN stadiums in 1986! within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 17
Earl Weaver Baseball let us BUILD our OWN stadiums in 1986!

I cant for the life of be understand why no one else has ever expanded upon what I feel is one of the most exciting features of a franchise creation option. The ability to build your own ball park. And the funny thing is, of all the sports such as Hockey, Basketball, Football,....Baseball would reap the most benefits and distinct advantages of being able to customize your own stadium and field yet...The irony of this is, that all the sports games have this feature YET no baseball games have this in their games....why!?

Earl Weaver gave us this amazing freedom and creation ability almost 25 years ago...on a single 1.44 floppy disk no less! Come on, folks...I cant be the only one who love the ability to customize their own ballpark, seating, layout, field, wall dimmensions......so much potential!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Earl Weaver Baseball let us BUILD our OWN stadiums in 1986!

Yeah i agree. In madden you can relocate your team and build your stadiums. It would be ideal because baseball is the only sport where not one stadium is the same. It's the only sport where you can change the dimensions, i'm just surprised this hasn't been done since MVP NCAA Baseball 2007 and that was still pretty basic. I would love to see this feature in future games.
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14

I could see the build your own stadium feature being useful if they incorporated the mode that All Star Baseball had. You were able to create a new team and take over a spot in NL or AL. They had preset teams and logos. I actually enjoyed that mode.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
It would be ideal because baseball is the only sport where not one stadium is the same.
And I would guess that's the reason that feature isn't in basball games. The game coding is no doubt specifically and uniquely coded for each individual stadium. That means the OF wall detection coding in Yankee stadium has to be specifically coded, and coded differently than the wall detection coding in Fenway.

And given how complex all this has become on next-gen consoles, setting your own stadium dimensions is probably next-to-impossible to code. Remember, people now want to see fans reach for balls and outfielders robbing HR's. This isn't Earl Weaver on floppy disk anymore, where that white blip traveling over the horizontal line represents a Mike Schmidt bomb.

Last edited by baa7; 01-12-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
Smile Re: Earl Weaver Baseball let us BUILD our OWN stadiums in 1986!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
I cant for the life of be understand why no one else has ever expanded upon what I feel is one of the most exciting features of a franchise creation option. The ability to build your own ball park. And the funny thing is, of all the sports such as Hockey, Basketball, Football,....Baseball would reap the most benefits and distinct advantages of being able to customize your own stadium and field yet...The irony of this is, that all the sports games have this feature YET no baseball games have this in their games....why!?

Earl Weaver gave us this amazing freedom and creation ability almost 25 years ago...on a single 1.44 floppy disk no less! Come on, folks...I cant be the only one who love the ability to customize their own ballpark, seating, layout, field, wall dimmensions......so much potential!

Yep, I remember having that game on the Commodore. I will say this though, it's a lot easier to have adjustable outfield depths when the game isn't physics oriented like most of todays graphical games are. Earl Weaver was more board game-like that may not have even looked at the dimensions of the outfield. I could be wrong, it's been a few years.

Last edited by WildGoatMan; 01-12-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Considering games are more and more complex to make, due to graphical, sound and AI advancements. Not to mention the yearly development cycle now ... I can see why, especially 2K, the game of baseball has to be done right first, before they add any special additions.

I would like to see them (sports dev companies) spend more money, and have separate teams working on such additions at the same time regular teams are working on the yearly revision, so things can be added.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Considering games are more and more complex to make, due to graphical, sound and AI advancements. Not to mention the yearly development cycle now ... I can see why, especially 2K, the game of baseball has to be done right first, before they add any special additions.

I would like to see them (sports dev companies) spend more money, and have separate teams working on such additions at the same time regular teams are working on the yearly revision, so things can be added.
See, I don't know if I agree with this...if you're talking about bringing in additional help solely for that purpose. It's one of those "great in theory" ideas that's usually bad in practice. The trouble with it is there is no real continuity when you start farming stuff out to multiple outside teams.

If you're talking interdepartmental (meaning forming a division with current personnel or assigning a current one to the task) then it would work (and is already, I would assume, pretty much set up like that).

The trouble with paying money for someone else to come in is that it's much too easy for things to fall through the cracks. It's a QA nightmare. It becomes more about babysitting and often times is a time constraint rather than a relief (do to the extra attention the "outsiders" require).

If you do it within your own ranks then you're less likely to have some of those same slip-ups and procedural holes. I'm not talking about bringing a guy or two on board (that's fine, and also probably normal), but paying to bring in a completely separate team.

For the record, I'm no programmer and I'm not speaking from any experience in this specific industry. The process would likely be similar to most other production/development scenarios though, and that's what I'm speaking on.

anyway, I very much agree with your first paragraph
Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Clearly I am talking interdepartmental.

As in hiring more staff to get the job done. Thus make the quality and communication better.

Clearly as it stands now, it is hard to add things, without neglecting others, and vise/versa. Considering that they run on a 12-14 month dev cycle each game. And depending on what needs to be shored up in the previous.

Probably why we never see these additions till the end of a consoles life. Due to tons of tweaking and fixes needing to be done before they can think of adding things on a grand scale.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »