Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 Review

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 Review within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40
I will not be buying this game until a patch is released.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #82
MVP

OVR: 28
I was extremely disappointed. I thought with the strides that 2K made with 2K7 that this year's game would be fun. The framerate is horrid and the visuals have taken a huge step backward.

I do like the pitching mechanic. I am no fanboy but The Show makes this game look like an Atari 2600 game....
Old 07-20-2023, 12:46 AM   #83
Rookie

Effectively_wild's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 Review

2k8 arrived yesterday for my PS3. I've been adding to my back catalogue and 2k8 seemed the best to add to 10-13. Only played one full game last night but it was fun. Obviously not got a full impression but, I liked what I saw. Coming from 10-13 the controls took a couple of hours to get the basics down but I can tell once I get some of the more complicated and nuanced aspects of the controls down, 2k8 has more depth then 2k10-13. I'm interested if any of you still play or what you remember from your time playing 2k8.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:05 PM   #84
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effectively_wild
2k8 arrived yesterday for my PS3. I've been adding to my back catalogue and 2k8 seemed the best to add to 10-13. Only played one full game last night but it was fun. Obviously not got a full impression but, I liked what I saw. Coming from 10-13 the controls took a couple of hours to get the basics down but I can tell once I get some of the more complicated and nuanced aspects of the controls down, 2k8 has more depth then 2k10-13. I'm interested if any of you still play or what you remember from your time playing 2k8.
Loved the pitching mechanics and that they went to right analog stick for most everything, but it was still too much of a homerfest and the visuals were a downgrade from 2K7 sadly. The PS3 version was also inferior to the 360 versions when it came to AA, self-shadowing, framerate... the works.

I think MLB Power Pros had only came out months before, so that was my baseball game of choice for the time being even though it was only a PS2 title.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-24-2023, 03:45 AM   #85
Rookie

Effectively_wild's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Loved the pitching mechanics and that they went to right analog stick for most everything, but it was still too much of a homerfest and the visuals were a downgrade from 2K7 sadly. The PS3 version was also inferior to the 360 versions when it came to AA, self-shadowing, framerate... the works.

I think MLB Power Pros had only came out months before, so that was my baseball game of choice for the time being even though it was only a PS2 title.

The pitching mechanics are great! Coming from 2k10 it took a few hours to get the timing and motions down but yeah, I love the mechanics. These are still than The Show is today imo.
Same with the fielding as well. The way the throwing is mapped to the right stick and is sensitive to how far/hard you push makes a difference in the throw I think is brilliant...not to mention how the horizontal (vertical if throwing 2nd or home) accuracy of your movement matters as well. The way the meter moves depending on difference factors make different throws easier and harder are still above what The Show does now (albeit very similar).
I've had to tweak the sliders to tone down the homers and I think I've found a nice set.
I've also got the CPU throwing less strikes, so I'm able to get some walks and get realistic pitch counts.

I find it funny (and fun!) going back and reading old impressions and comments about the game. Apart from the framerate issues (which aren't even that bad or bother me) I really like this game. I wish it had better/more up to date roster from 2008 but apart from that, I'm having a blast.

I know I bang on about this but...I buy The Show every year, play it for a few months alongside 2k and then get bored and then just play 2k titles for the rest of the year. Funny that games this old still have me playing them more than anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2023, 06:46 PM   #86
Rookie

Any chance someone has a code to unlock the stadiums?
Old 11-06-2023, 07:57 PM   #87
MVP

OVR: 10

I would absolutely love it if someone found a way to get rosters updated for 2K8. Just rosters, honestly I wouldn't care about anything else like uniforms or faces or anything. I once tried updating the rosters for 2K5 World Series Edition and hit a wall of editable players. So I had to stop.
2K8, like all sports games at that time, was a blast. I remember having to do a lot of slider tweaking but even THAT was fun because they were so responsive. The presentation, the immersiveness of season mode, and the simplicity of it. So much actual fun. I would love for the wave of modding older sports games to hit the 2K series one day.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »