Home

Roster Project

This is a discussion on Roster Project within the MLB 2K Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K > MLB 2K Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 32
Roster Project **UPDATE**

(Mods, I know that I've already made a thread like this but I'm asking that this one be left open and the other one closed - thanks...)

With word from Ron that the DEV team for 2K10 could significantly fix the roster restriction problem, I am going to work on a roster set.

Let's talk about what some of that entails.

Baseball America/ESPN.com's top prospects list will be used extensively for this project. The initial plan is to create the top 50 prospects, using scouting reports and stat analysis to incorporate the proper ratings.

Guys like Jason Heyward, Stephen Strasburg, Mike Stanton, Jesus Montero, Desmond Jennings and Dustin Ackley will not have ratings above 78. I see all of the above as guys who deserve a rating in the mid to upper 70's. That is dynamic though and can change. A guy like Heyward, for instance, could see a ratings dip based on my research as I gain more knowledge on his game. That goes for everyone. Potential ratings will obviously be high considering these guys are considered the cream of the crop by most scouting services.

There are prospects who are in the game, but my plan is to change the attributes on these guys to 0 and drop them in the FA pool. Why? The prospects I've seen just look like crap appearance wise and I want to get them looking as realistic as I can. It just seems easier this way. I like being able to edit an appearance and with created players, you can do this. I just wish 2K gave us a much higher cap for created players, but I'll do the best I can with what they give me.

The rest lies in 2K's hands. I can only do so much with the restrictions they've given us. If the roster editing restrictions are fixed in a patch, I will continue to work on the roster for as long as I can - and that goes beyond prospects. It also delves into the whole minor league system.

It will be a good set. I can't give a time frame but I can promise to put as much time in this project as I can. I am like many others in that I want as realistic rosters as I can get and I won't start my own franchise until I finish - that's plenty of motivation right there.

Feel free to help me by posting insights on prospects, whether that be inside info, links, or videos. It would help a lot and speed up the process.

Also, just feel free to give any advice to me that you deem helpful in this project.

Last edited by 12; 03-20-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Roster Project

Here's a quick update on where I'm at so far.

Prospects created with their overall rating:

Jason Heyward, RF, Braves --
78 overall
Stephen Strasburg, RHP, Nationals -- 79 overall
Mike Stanton, OF, Marlins -- 74 overall
Dustin Ackley, 2B, Mariners -- 74 overall
Jesus Montero, C, Yankees -- 72 overall
Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Pirates -- 76 overall
Desmond Jennings, LF, Rays -- 74 overall
Carlos Santana, C, Indians -- 73 overall
Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Reds -- 75 overall
Justin Smoak, 1B, Rangers -- 76 overall
Carlos Triunfel, SS, Mariners -- 67 overall

On the list for tomorrow:

Domonic Brown, OF, Phillies
Starlin Castro, SS, Cubs
Martin Perez, LHP, Rangers
Ryan Westmoreland, OF, Red Sox
Tyler Matzek, LHP, Rockies

...and more if I have the time.

Again guys, feedback is essential here. Stances, windups, attributes, etc... I am taking my time with these prospects and am trying to get as much info as possible, such as Strasburg having a dominant fastball, a filthy slider and a changeup that can be there when he needs it; or Heyward and his mammoth power, or Ackley's versatility, etc...

Don't hold back because with everyone's help, this roster project will be a good one. I am very meticulous about such things as the spelling of names, birthdates, jersey numbers, country of origin, etc... I want to be sure to get these players as realistic as possible.

I fully plan to take this roster project deep IF 2K patches the edit limit, but I'll do as much as I can regardless. If that means only 50 created prospects and 150 edited players, then that's 200 realistic players that the game did not previously have - and that number is only reliant on the fact that 2K does not figure out how to take off or lessen the edit cap.

I'll be updating this thread as much as possible, so until then, let's hear that feedback!

Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Sounds really good!! Looking forward to this...

Here is a great site I use: http://www.mlbdepthcharts.com/

He keeps lineups & transactions updated to the second...
Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is my blog:
http://tkbaseball.blogspot.com/

Worked for Baseball Info Solutions and logged a lot of data into my blog (including breakdowns on the AFL All-Star Game and Futures Game). This should help you with scouting reports for some prospects that may not be like Baseball America. Also have a document that lists the velocities of every major league pitcher I saw (should have seen everyone that pitched in a game in the majors last year except Chris Tillman) and if that piques your interest, send me a private message.

I think the blog was good stuff from a scouting standpoint (no longer contribute to it b/c I start working for a big league team in April) and you can take comfort that everything I report on are games that I have actually watched and not taking people's words on it.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Thanks for sharing!! Bookmarked it! Will definitely be checking your work out on a regular basis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSolid15
This is my blog:
http://tkbaseball.blogspot.com/

Worked for Baseball Info Solutions and logged a lot of data into my blog (including breakdowns on the AFL All-Star Game and Futures Game). This should help you with scouting reports for some prospects that may not be like Baseball America. Also have a document that lists the velocities of every major league pitcher I saw (should have seen everyone that pitched in a game in the majors last year except Chris Tillman) and if that piques your interest, send me a private message.

I think the blog was good stuff from a scouting standpoint (no longer contribute to it b/c I start working for a big league team in April) and you can take comfort that everything I report on are games that I have actually watched and not taking people's words on it.
Awesome stuff, this will definitely be used as a tool in my rosters.

Congrats on the new job as well... That's very exciting!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
Banned

**Update**

I was able to work on the rosters a little more tonight before bed...

Guys I added:

Tyler Matzek
Domonic Brown
Starlin Castro
Jeremy Hellickson
Ryan Westmoreland
Martin Perez
Aaron Hicks

I also edited Jose Tabata (moved to Pitt), Kyle Drabek (moved to Toronto) and Josh Vitters (moved to CHC).

Right now, here is how it all looks:

Jason Heyward, RF, Braves -- 78 overall
Stephen Strasburg, RHP, Nationals -- 79 overall
Mike Stanton, OF, Marlins -- 74 overall
Dustin Ackley, 2B, Mariners -- 74 overall
Jesus Montero, C, Yankees -- 72 overall
Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Pirates -- 76 overall
Desmond Jennings, LF, Rays -- 74 overall
Carlos Santana, C, Indians -- 73 overall
Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Reds -- 75 overall
Justin Smoak, 1B, Rangers -- 76 overall
Carlos Triunfel, SS, Mariners -- 67 overall
Tyler Matzek, LHP, Rockies -- 66 overall
Domonic Brown, OF, Phillies -- 73 overall
Starlin Castro, SS, Cubs -- 66 overall
Jeremy Hellickson, RHP, Rays -- 75 overall
Ryan Westmoreland, OF/DH, Red Sox -- 69 overall
Martin Perez, LHP, Rangers -- 67 overall
Aaron Hicks, OF, Twins -- 69 overall

I edited Vitters and Tabata, and both have high 60's ratings. Drabek is a bit higher at 70, though it could be a little bit higher.

One thing I'm wondering is whether or not I'm overrating these guys. A 75 for Hellickson might seem high, but the guy has posted absolutely sick numbers and is only still in the minors because he's being blocked in Tampa Bay.

I started a franchise just to see where the new guys I've made are ending up on the Top 100 list and I was pleased to see that guys like Heyward, Strasburg, Stanton, Brown, Perez and a few others made it into the top 10. The rest were at least included in the top 100.

More tomorrow... Let's hear some feedback, guys.

Last edited by 12; 03-20-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Good to see you doing this. Let's hope we can get additional/unlimited player edits with the next patch. That way you can give us a great roster set. I'll keep myself tuned to this thread. Thanks!
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K > MLB 2K Rosters »