Home

Caught by slower players, speed threshold and game speed

This is a discussion on Caught by slower players, speed threshold and game speed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Caught by slower players, speed threshold and game speed

Using the default game speed and speed threshold settings in Madden 25 I've noticed way too many shoe string tackles from defenders who are beat and have been ran by, guys being tackled for being in the area of other players who should not be able to catch them, WRs catching a screen and then taking a lifetime to start moving up field despite being flatfooted when catching the ball, while DL move twice as fast, and fast players being caught in the open field by players much slower than them who do not have the angle and should not be able to prevent the ball carrier from getting to the sideline and the endzone.

I do not want the CPU's DL being more agile than my WRs, I dont want a 80 speed safety catching a 96 speed WR who has the angle.

Do I change the game speed, the speed threshold, or both?

Also maybe a bit off topic but something that's really pissing me off, somewhat related to making a catch and moving slower than people twice their size, the last game I played I had a number of user picks that should have been pick sixes which were absurdly tackled.

I make the user pick, my player then stops, turns around, and runs in a circle waiting to get tackled.

It seems anytime I get a user pick by switching to the DB, moving them into position to get the pick which is needed many times and you will get burnt if you don't, and then pressing Y, this happens and as the field flips the game acts like I tried to make him run backwards instead of into the endzone.

If I press nothing after getting the pick will he start to run on his own?

Or will it stop because I moved the player before going for the pick?

I'll have to try it next time.

Really pissed me off I had like 3 picks that should have been pick sixes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Caught by slower players, speed threshold and game speed

In my experience there is nothing to change this issue. I was told to change the threshold lower but this does nothing at all. I have tried high/low everything.
I have played the game on PS3 and PS4 and same thing on both.

My 99sp 98 acc HB goes clear and gets caught by DE's & LB's
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Pro

U will get caught no matter the threshold. I was breaking a punt return with sandcastle suddenly in turbo mode a lb from offscreen shoots 8 yards past me and cuts back to knock me out of bounds. It seems to be programmed that they'll catch up more often then they should but it's better then game breaking runs all day.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

This is somewhat true, but I definitely found lower speed threshold helps with these issues. I play with it at 36, but somewhere between 30-36 should play better. I no longer get tackled at the los by shoestring tackles. U still get tackled from behind, but I feel 36 provides for better separation of speeds overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Banned

So now I'm playing on fast game speed and 0 threshold.

Setting the speed to fast seems to make the game more closely resemble the speed of NFL games.

I guess putting threshold at 0 makes things a bit better, it's honestly hard to tell.

I set it at 100 and it seemed like that made the slow players fast, so I put it back at 0.

I found a thread with someone saying 30 most resembled real life from the testing they tried to do, but I don't know if that was on normal speed and I'm playing at fast.

Anyways even at 0 you still have a situation where a player like Percy Harvin (97 speed on my team) will be running down the sideline and a safety with 80 something speed will just magically run ahead of them, which you can get by if you juke it right and don't step out of bounds, but what's the point of the speed ratings if one of the fastest players in the game will be outran by a guy who is much slower than him.

As for the shoe string tackles I'm going to start trying to hurdle when someone dives at my ankles from behind and see if that works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Banned

It's called "Pursuit Angles". Slower players on Defense catch faster guys all the time in real life. That's why any run over 10 yards is statistically recorded as a Big Play in the NFL. This only happens a handful of times a game. 20+ yard runs are pretty rare. You're getting caught by slow DE/LBs because of their Pursuit attributes, not their speed. You know how when you see huge runs in the NFL there's almost always 1 of 2 things that will happen 1) RB breaks around the end gets to the sideline and either breaks a tackle and goes (almost getting caught by near the endzone but juuuust fast enough to get away) or cuts it back to the middle of the field. and then there's 2) where he busts one open in the middle of the field and then FADES all the way to the endzone? You get what I'm saying? They are screwing up the D's pursuit angles, no one runs 50 yards in a straight line unless they're last name is Johnson, Peterson or McCoy. I like that they've put more emphasis on that. It's realistic. Now if there was a better engine that could allow you to fade or reverse you're field more freely, then we'd be in business!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Y_xbtIE98

Sweet video! Notice how they never really run in a straight line that much. Unless it's that one C.J. Spiller run where he's showing off that 4.27 40-time lol!! Check out Jamaal Charles at 2:30. That's what I'm talking about, see he gets to the edge early but he has to cut back under and use the middle of field to score. The Defense over pursued and they are all above him and that's why he breaks this one wide open. It just sucks because there is no good way to do this in Madden. Everytime I try it I get wrecked by someone that is off screen. If they could zoom out or rotate the camera on a potential break away, just some way to be able to see the whole field it would recreate runs like in the video perfectly.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich2233
It's called "Pursuit Angles". Slower players on Defense catch faster guys all the time in real life. That's why any run over 10 yards is statistically recorded as a Big Play in the NFL. This only happens a handful of times a game. 20+ yard runs are pretty rare. You're getting caught by slow DE/LBs because of their Pursuit attributes, not their speed. You know how when you see huge runs in the NFL there's almost always 1 of 2 things that will happen 1) RB breaks around the end gets to the sideline and either breaks a tackle and goes (almost getting caught by near the endzone but juuuust fast enough to get away) or cuts it back to the middle of the field. and then there's 2) where he busts one open in the middle of the field and then FADES all the way to the endzone? You get what I'm saying? They are screwing up the D's pursuit angles, no one runs 50 yards in a straight line unless they're last name is Johnson, Peterson or McCoy. I like that they've put more emphasis on that. It's realistic. Now if there was a better engine that could allow you to fade or reverse you're field more freely, then we'd be in business!
When they are coming from an angle that is fine, but when a DE is pursuing a 98 speed running back (from directly behind) who is 5 yds clear and catches him, this is just crazy. Can someone catch Usain Bolt from behind?? NO!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »