Home

Leading receivers on vertical routes

This is a discussion on Leading receivers on vertical routes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3
Leading receivers on vertical routes

Why is it basically impossible in this game?

User vs. user, All-Madden, 90% of vertical routes get picked off because the pass is usually underthrown. Trying to "lead" the throw by holding up on the L joystick does absolutely nothing. Bullet or lob doesn't matter, same result. You have to take control of the WR and hope you can undercut at the last second and out jump the DB. Your WR can have his guy beat, but unless you have Stafford/Johnson or a similar QB/WR duo, the throw is rarely where it should be. As long as the DB is close to your target, he'll have a chance to make a play on the ball.

One particular play I had Jordan Cameron running a seam wide open down the middle. Weeden throws, and my opponent was able to take control of a linebacker and undercut the throw by a good 7+ yards and make the pick. No way that should happen; the trajectory of that pass should be impossible to intercept unless the linebacker was 8 feet tall. You can lead guys left or right without issue, throw it short to them, but you can't overthrow them? That's BS.

You can exploit screens, corner routes, slants, and basically every other type of "horizontal" route all day every day and throw for 500 yards a game. But why do they take away the possibility of overthrowing a vertical? Does anyone else have this problem or am I just crazy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Leading receivers on vertical routes

I haven't played any user vs. user, but I have had the same problem with user vs. CPU, even on easier levels. Outs, hitch routes, digs, sticks, etc. work well, but I rarely am able to complete a deep ball unless there is broken coverage and the guy is just wide open.

Even if he beats the CB, the pass rarely makes it over the CB for an over the shoulder catch.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Banned

You need a single high safety or no safety in coverage, you should only try it vs press coverage unless you have a blazer against a snail.

If your WR totally kills the jam and the CB whiffs, zip it to him immediately, away from the safety towards the sideline if there is one.

If your WR comes off the line and the CB is running with him, "If he's even, he's leaving".

So when you see your WR even with the CB running down the field, lob the pass without leading him in any direction.

The QB will lead the receiver and if he has enough arm strength and the receiver enough speed he will leave him in the dust.

Passing the ball vs the CPU is pretty easy if you have the receivers.

If the CBs play off coverage, a "smoke" route (right trigger) or "out" route should be completed every time. Comebacks can also be used against off coverage but if you use it continually they will buzz a safety underneath it who can go for a pick six, so only do that if you know what you're doing.

If the CBs play press or atleast line up at the line, send the outside receivers on "go" routes and watch the safeties.

If there are 2 high safeties you'll need to hit the WR inbetween the CB and S which is dangerous, or once the WR has clear the safety which takes a long time. Against a 2 high safety look you want to hit your TE over the middle or crossing routes.

If there is 1 or no high safeties, try to watch both outside receivers at the same time, and if someone wins right off the snap zip it out, otherwise wait for them to get even and lob it.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

I usually try to follow that system and it works well. The only thing is, like u said, trying to shoot the ball between the corner and safety is dangerous and will be intercepted 90% of the time if you force it. That's how a lot of my INTs happen

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Pro

The deep ball is really difficult, but it is possible. Like stated earlier, you have to wait for one on one coverage. If there's one deep safety , send both receivers on deep routes and see which side he commits to, then throw it to the other side. Or if there's no deep safety , that means the defense is probably sending 6 or 7 guys after the QB, so you have to keep guys back to pick up the blitz or you'll never get a chance to throw the deep ball. And you definitely have to do it when the cornerback is in press coverage or it will get deflected or picked . It may sound funny, but speed isn't as big of a factor as you would think. The CPU has beaten my corners on deep routes twice out of like four tries and I have corners with 93 and 98 speed. They were beaten by receivers with lower speed running streak routes. And my starting WRs both have sub 90 speed, but they've beaten much faster corners. You just have to be patient and wait for the defense to give you the read you're looking for.

Last edited by macbranson; 01-28-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3

I am referring to 1 on 1 coverage, so take the safeties completely out of the equation. I'm talking WR vs CB or TE vs LB. The receiver beats his man and is open streaking deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34
Even if he beats the CB, the pass rarely makes it over the CB for an over the shoulder catch.
^ Exactly.

The quarterbacks should be leading the ball into the receiver's arms hitting them in stride, but this never happens. The ball always comes in at his back shoulder, giving my opponent an opportunity to make a play on the ball. All they have to do is control the CB and jump when the pass comes in, and 90% of the time it will be a user pick.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Banned

If you're having a hard time getting the coverage you want, run the ball.

If you're running it at will you will be able to throw whenever you want.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX
I am referring to 1 on 1 coverage, so take the safeties completely out of the equation. I'm talking WR vs CB or TE vs LB. The receiver beats his man and is open streaking deep.

^ Exactly.

The quarterbacks should be leading the ball into the receiver's arms hitting them in stride, but this never happens. The ball always comes in at his back shoulder, giving my opponent an opportunity to make a play on the ball. All they have to do is control the CB and jump when the pass comes in, and 90% of the time it will be a user pick.
You don't lead the receiver.

When your receiver is even with the CB, you lob the ball by pressing and releasing their button and no directions.

The QB will lead them and him them in stride.

If you're getting picked off you're not doing this or your QB has a noodle arm and your receiver is slow.

The QB automatically "leads" the receiver if you lob it when he is even and leavin.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »