Home

How can I make the rest of the league competitive?

This is a discussion on How can I make the rest of the league competitive? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
How can I make the rest of the league competitive?

Without doing the 32 team user control?

My problem is, I'm in year 2 with Redskins (first year i went 3-13 because RGIII, Almo, and Garcon were injured for 80% of the season)... year 2 I'm in week 17 and I
'm 10-5 with 1 win away from getting a bye in the playoffs. I change the sliders week to week and adjust them to be a tad harder each week, but I've won 10 games this year and lost 4 of them within the last 15 seconds of the game. I should be 14-1. This happened with M13 as well and I was able to get a super bowl caliber roster and retain it for 10-20 years.

I have never used XP points to upgrade my players... After yr 1 I used my 2nd round pick on a stud DT. Used FA dollars to get a solid WR core (Garcon, Heyward-Bay, Andre Roberts, Mario Manningham, Kenny Brit), even picked up a stud FS who has been injured the entire year. My team doesn't have any weaknesses.

Should I trade my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th round draft picks each year for players I will just cut later on?

What are some methods you use to keep everyone else competitve or make it difficult for yourself to build such a dominant roster/team?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: How can I make the rest of the league competitive?

Hard enough sliders should do the trick. Try playing by the "no switch" rule. Along with no left sticking,zig zagging if your doing it. Never call the same play twice try to at least call a different play on offense/defense.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

First and foremost a slider set that you like and feel plays the game out like you want.

Second like the above poster stated. The "No Switch" rule is really helpful and makes the game far more challenging. It will force you to actually focus on roster building attributes like awareness and play recognition. I do not use the practice feature as the CPU does not practice. However I do not spend my players XP until after the season has concluded. The only Coach packages I bought right away were scouting points and deveolpment upgrades for all the positions.

The way I "no switch" vs the CPU is different from the "no Switch" we use in SOS. Against the CPU I never switch to any other player (other than on special teams). So If I am the SS at the snap......I stay that player until the conclusion of the play.

Believe me......you will get far better games in having to trust your CPU controlled players than always switching to the nearest player to make the tackle. It's fun IMO. You really start figuring out where you want to play depending on down, distance, situation etc. I have learned to play other positions because of this (yet I am sucking wind in my online 32 team CFM in SOS LMFAO!!). I am getting better at pass coverage, learning to stay at home in my assigned zones, shadow the TE in coverage, reading screens.

And most importantly it starts to put a premium on XP traits and attributes critical for CPU controlled players.

Give it a shot....it takes some getting used to.

I also never, ever user catch on offense. I let the ratings determine the result. On defense if I am controlling the defender and a pass is thrown my way.....I will use my ball hawk....it's hard enough to play defense on M25...I am rewarding myself with a pick attempt. And trust me....it will not happen often.

Also like metioned......use your entire playbook. In fact I gameflow most of my play calls. I will cycle through pass, run and gameplan (as well as Aggresive, Conservative and gameplan on defense) if I do not like the intial suggestion, or if it is repeating the call. rarely will I go to the actual playbook. Typically that is goalline situations or 3 and 1, 4 and 1 and special teams. It really makes a difference too. it forces you to execute your OC/DC calls. It forces you to make pre-snap adjustments more often.

Speaking of audibles and adjustments. I only will hot route one WR at the max vs the CPU and I will only audible in obvious blitz situations where I can try to catch the CPU napping and get him over the top. It makes hitting a deep ball rewarding. And the deep ball is not easy to get on M25 if your playing with a sim approach.

Good luck.
NHL25 - Panthers YR1 (2-1)
MLB 20 The Show - Classic Rosters and Yankees YR8
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-02-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman24
Hard enough sliders should do the trick. Try playing by the "no switch" rule. Along with no left sticking,zig zagging if your doing it. Never call the same play twice try to at least call a different play on offense/defense.
I completely agree with this. Also, in addition to this:
-no exploiting the CPU in any possible trades,
-try intentionally letting some good FA's walk in free agency if you had a good season the year before,
-consider changing offense play books before a game (to avoid repeating "money" plays/routes, and then during the game using "Ask Madden" and then using your own discretion to choose 1 of the 3 plays presented),
-and try to avoid excessive hot routing/no huddles.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

interesting no switch rule... I may be the first team to go from 11-5 and winning the SB to 0-16 But it'll be fun trying!

Thanks for the advice guys!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I typically only Ask Madden in cpu games, makes me play better after using my discretion to call the plays given. Also, don't just go after great players in FA. Think about what you need and build a scheme. I made one big FA move (Dez Bryant) and the rest were trying to compliment my draft picks and build a strong scheme. I let my starting QB walk after a decent season because I was taking the team in a new direction and started a 76 overall rookie that was a better fit. Makes the game harder, but more fun because you're actually being rewarded with your system when you win the big one
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

I use variations of this chart for offseason:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...any-forum.html

Helps "keep it real" versus CPU re: transactions...

I also "raise the ante" by staying 25-30 million UNDER the cap...

As well as allowing only ONE trade every two seasons and only one in season extension...

Lastly, only 3 offers for resign, and let them test FA afterward...

Use the chart as a guideline, and make it as tough as possible...

Last edited by KingV2k3; 01-02-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Hard sliders are big....Jarrod has some great ones on his slider forum post. I don't do alot of house rules but one thing is I use ask madden on play calling. I may audible if I see something but I don't run the same 3-4 money plays all game.
1. I try to play realistically, not going on 4th unless it's something a real team may consider.
2. I either control all 32 teams and draft and fill rosters etc FAIRLY...OR I allow the cpu to do all INCLUDING my team.
3. When signing free agents, I never try to manipulate the negotiations....I give what he asked or more...never less. I

Your team hardly seems "stacked"....your WR corps is decent but not full of hall of famers by any stretch....try Jarrod's sliders...

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »