Home

Looking tips for a running Qb

This is a discussion on Looking tips for a running Qb within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Rookie

letsgocavs99's Arena

OVR: 5
Looking tips for a running Qb

Ok, I am going to use my Vikings in a CC, and I want to have a package for Webb to come in. I'm thinking about just using Carolina's playbook and letting him run the Wildcat, or do you guys have any tips for not actual plays, but ways I can run with him. AKA using a screen passes blockers for downfild running. Need tips for that and others, thanks

Check out my NCAA 14 UTEP Miners Dynasty! http://www.operationsports.com/forum...p-dynasty.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Looking tips for a running Qb

Well, in the play calling screen you should be able to use the right thumb stick to cycle through various formation packages. There should always be a package called "Backup QB" or "QB2" or something like that. That's all you really have to do.

In the NY Jets playbook here are some good plays:

Gun - Empty Trey

This isn't a run for your QB, but a good set up play for:

The normal Jet Sweep is what should keep the D honest.

You also have a Run/Pass option with:

I recommend you flip these plays because Webb is right handed and you want the play to flow to his strength. You want each play to look the same until that last second to fool the D. Just because Webb is in the game doesn't mean it has to be a QB run

The same formation also has:

Anytime you play with an empty backfield out of the gun, your QB can be a running threat. You spread the D out both horizontally with the formation and vertically with the routes your receivers run. This can create running lanes for your QB.

Obviously the Shotgun - Jet Heavy is nice as well:

This final Play Action, the QB fakes his the QB blast and then backs up for the pass... which you can still choose to run out of.

Out of the Shotgun - Split Jet you get these nice plays:

Flip the play for your right handed QB, and at the snap you can hold the sprint button and flow with the play action and run to the right. It's a good option to dump it off to the back on the sideline, look for a receiver over the middle deep, or just take off. Three good options... and don't be afraid to just throw it away.

Slip Screens are always good and easy to complete. There are also two nice run plays, the Draw and Power O. Again, the goal is to keep the D honest, especially if you are playing against a human opponent. You don't want them to see Webb and think "Oh, it's a QB run"

This Mesh play is also nice. You have short options, but can also run to the same side as the HB Wheel route [remember to flip the play] and if the D bites on you, throw the deep pass. If they try to contain the HB, take off with Webb.

Next, out of the Shotgun - Trey Open formation, you have:

Which works well in conjunction with:

Then for the QB run you have:

and...

If you hold the A [X for PS3] button, you will hand it off to your HB on both the Read Option and QB Wrap. If you don't, the QB will keep it.

Also there is:

Again, after flipping it for Webb, you can take off to the right, stop and throw it back across the field to your HB, or as you roll, you will have all of your other receiving threats running routes at different depths to the right with you.

Combined with a HB slip screen and a number of other good passing plays to choose from, these are great shot gun formations to use with Webb.

That's 18+ plays [not all QB runs, but still] that should work very well for you. An average NFL game has about 120 offensive plays [about 60 for each team.] Those plays I showed you can quickly and easily make up about 1/3 of your offense. The Jets playbook also has the Wildcat, although I don't care much for the Wildcat. In Madden the D sells out on runs from the WC. They don't respect the fact that it could be a pass, because the AI knows it isn't a pass. That's why I use play action passes as a fun way to simulate the option play.

I hope all of that helps you enjoy the game a lot more.

Last edited by PGaither84; 09-30-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Rookie

letsgocavs99's Arena

OVR: 5

Thanks a lot man, I'm going to try this out in an online game using the panthers and then one with the Jets playbook.

Check out my NCAA 14 UTEP Miners Dynasty! http://www.operationsports.com/forum...p-dynasty.html
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Rookie

luv4skating's Arena

OVR: 2

WOW PGaither, that was an awesome amount of info, GOOD LOOKn Out, do you have any suggestions for RGIII, I of course play with the skins...I would like to use his strength of running sometimes...
Old 09-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4skating
WOW PGaither, that was an awesome amount of info, GOOD LOOKn Out, do you have any suggestions for RGIII, I of course play with the skins...I would like to use his strength of running sometimes...
Unlike most running QBs, Griffin is a phenomenal passer so you're really doing a disservice to his full range of abilities by calling a lot of designed QB runs (particularly because there is no passing option in any of the Madden plays that I've seen like there would be in the Redskins' actual playbook). Your best bet is to use his passing ability well early in the game, force the defense to worry about the coverage, and then gouge them on impromptu scrambles. If you can establish the run out of the shotgun early in the game then the read option can be good for a pretty big gain but if the defense is ready for it you're going to lose yardage and risk the big hit or fumble, so it's best when used sparingly. I only try it once or twice a game, myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Banned

rambis31's Arena

OVR: 0

there arent any QB contain defensive plays anymore and the read option is bogus. It just sucks your defenders to the middle and you cant chase the QB
Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambis31
there arent any QB contain defensive plays anymore and the read option is bogus. It just sucks your defenders to the middle and you cant chase the QB
If I face a running quarterback, I'll spy someone on my defensive line (usually a tackle since your pass rush typically comes from outside) on 90% of snaps. It's a trade off of accepting that there will be some small rushing gains up the middle rather than big gains from the quarterback.

Typically, my spy will be the quickest non-pass rusher I have. If I'm really getting gouged, I'll substitute a defensive end for a tackle and spy that guy since he'll most likely have better speed and acceleration than an ordinary tackle.

Of course, this all ignores the designed read option plays and assumes the quarterback is running out of passing formations. I've only played a few players who have tried the read option, but I haven't seen anyone use it successfully enough to worry about it. I'm more concerned about the quarterback taking off out of the shotgun after the snap.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »