Home

Getting better at Madden in general?

This is a discussion on Getting better at Madden in general? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Rookie

ChopperDave6609's Arena

OVR: 0
Getting better at Madden in general?

I wanted to know if there were any guides online (video or text) or things I should practice in order to get better at Madden games in general. But first, here are some facts on my current skill level and football knowledge.

I started watching football on a semi-regular basis last season, watching some games with my home team (Browns) and most of the play off games. This year, I plan on watching on a more regular basis. I know the rules of the game, the very basics of different plays(run or pass, man or zone), and some general categories of player positions.

As for football video games, I like Tecmo Super Bowl and NFL Blitz and I'm decent at them. I've wanted to get good at more current sim style football games like Madden for years now, but usually I just rent the new Madden when it comes out, get frustrated, return it, and try again next year. It's been like that since Madden 09. I'm renting Madden 13 through GameFly now (haven't used the online trial yet), but I also have Madden 10 and ESPN 2K5 (got them both cheap recently). I'm starting to get better playing on Pro, but I do poorly on All-Pro.

With play calling, I know some of the basics of choosing by formation, but I'm more comfortable using by play type. This is OK against the computer/online, but when I play against my friend locally, I know it would be to my benefit to pick by formation. Any tips on play calling would be appreciated.

I want to start using all the tools at my disposal in Madden. Calling audibles, hot routes, line/linebacker/secondary adjustments, all that good stuff. I'm not sure where to start, though. In practice mode, I'm starting to learn what buttons do what pre-snap, but I don't know what commands to use based on the situation.

I've tried searching recently and multiple times in the past for help, but most of the help I can find is either too simple, or above my head and more for competitive online play.

I'll provide more info on what I want to improve on if needed. Basically, I just want to get better at Madden, but I don't know how. I'm kind of at a skill plateau. If anyone would be willing to spend some time to play a game with me online to determine what I need to work on, I can start my free trial whenever and I have a headset. I have Madden 13 on the Playstation 3. Otherwise, I'm open to any advice, tips, links to guides/videos, etc. If you have read any of this, thank you for your time, and any helpful response is appreciated.

Edit: I was thinking of rephrasing the question. To anyone who can keep up with all pro AI or better, how did you start learning everything in Madden/sim football video games? How did you get better?

Last edited by ChopperDave6609; 09-12-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Rephrasing question.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Getting better at Madden in general?

It's a little bit tough to determine exactly what areas you need help on... but if you're struggling to keep up with Pro AI then the obvious thing to say is that you need repetition first and foremost. The short list of things that I would do if I were just starting out to get better:

1. Play a lot.
2. Always play at a higher AI difficulty than is comfortable for you.
3. Always play as a LB or safety on defense. Even if you're really bad at it now, developing user-control skills is very important.
4. Play online and pay close attention to what your opponents do.
5. Keep watching actual NFL football and learn what you can about the game. Madden isn't the most realistic game out there but it's good enough that you can actually play better by applying real concepts and strategies. There are many good Madden players who don't realize this and are far more one-dimensional and limited than they could be because of it.

Your playcalling and command of the controls will gradually come to you over time. If you have a mic, I'd be willing to kill some time helping you out with Madden or football principles in general. Just add me on PSN (same name).
Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Rookie

ChopperDave6609's Arena

Thanks for posting, Vitriolic. I played a couple of games last night after posting. I wanted to try a higher ranked team against a lower ranked one. On pro, playing as the Steelers against the Browns, I think I won 17-0. I chose 95% of my plays in "By Formation", and it seemed to work well, but that was on Pro.

I have heard before that playing on a harder difficulty is good because the AI won't let you get away with certain things, so I'll play a game or two tonight on All-Pro. I'll also try playing as a linebacker or a secondary on defense (I always pick LB in TSB, so why not Madden? lol). I'll follow their roles for the play and try not to hold down X too much (only if I'm completely unsure of what to do). Hopefully it will be a good learning experience.

Maybe tomorrow I'll hit you up for a quick game, Vitriolic. I'll send you a message on PSN to let you know.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Rookie

Theres a TON of really good info out there. Just gotta dig it up....

Practice practice practice.

Id say play online. You may get a crappy opponent, you may get destroyed. To me you can always get something out of it----even if its just more reps.

Also get yourself in practice mode. Work on those elements of your game that you know you struggle with, on both sides of the ball.

On offense, for me, it makes a world of difference when I feel like i really KNOW my playbook.
Once the ball is snapped you dont have time to be figuring out who is running what route. Know that ish. Play around w the playbooks see what you like and commit to that.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

Football has different levels of understanding. You can be knowledgeable as far as watching the game and understanding the rules, when to run, when to pass, why to run and why to pass, why defenses blitz, etc...

If your an X's and O's guy, it gets waaay deeper.
You think about the intricacies of line play, the timing of the pass routes, attacking certain D's with pass patterns, the numbers of steps in a QB's drop, Identifying the "mike", protection calls, etc...

It's a big beautiful sport, and there is lots to learn. On top of that, you never stop leaning. I've played the sport, been a fan for almost 30 years, watch religiously, and I still buy books, watch all the playbook shows, and google my *** off for football knowledge all the time. The game is constantly evolving, and that's the beauty of it.

If you really want to be a boss at this game, you want to be that X's and O's guy. I know it can be frustrating and intimidating to play against people that have that edge in knowing a little more than you (it still happens to me, lol), but learn, practice your *** of, and just keep playing. Football never gets old. Playing Madden never gets old. It sucks when you lose, but damn does it feel good when you win. Good luck on your "journey", because that's exactly what it is, brotha... but you're gonna love it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun613
If you really want to be a boss at this game, you want to be that X's and O's guy. I know it can be frustrating and intimidating to play against people that have that edge in knowing a little more than you (it still happens to me, lol), but learn, practice your *** of, and just keep playing.
What's the best way to learn? I watch shows like Playbook on NFL Network and stuff, but it always seems like the only way to get knowledge on that level is to actually play the game at a college/professional (maybe high school) level.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
What's the best way to learn? I watch shows like Playbook on NFL Network and stuff, but it always seems like the only way to get knowledge on that level is to actually play the game at a college/professional (maybe high school) level.
If you've never played, I would suggest going to one of those websites that explain formations, coverages, and stuff like that.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Just started!

What is the best Offensive Playbook for throwing to a fast TE
What is the best defensive Playbook for containing a fast quarterback?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »