Home

My biggest issue with Madden I never see talked about

This is a discussion on My biggest issue with Madden I never see talked about within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
My biggest issue with Madden I never see talked about

Last year with DPP and cut days and other features plus this year with CCM and additional features is making franchise a hell of a mode. I am an offline franchise player (J-E-T-S) so I like the direction they are going. I thought the gameplan + custom playbook feature last year had big potential for offline gamers allowing us to potentially create/rate playbooks for CPU teams and solve a few of the AI playcalling blunders so not having that this year is a bit of a setback still I like what they have done and am not expecting perfection I understand CCM was built from the ground up so I understand why some features had to be 'removed'.

The problem I have that takes away from the immersion of the game is the CPU AI Logic. Play calling but mostly actual ingame decision making. CPU RBs running directly into defensive players, CPU QBs throwing into triple/double coverage (all of them including brady awareness and ratings dont seem to make a difference). Seeing these things happen really kills the immersion for me its very easy to tell from videos who the human and who the CPU controlled teams just watching the players. They are adding all these great franchise features but the ingame CPU logic seems to never be upgraded. It also doesnt appear to matter if you play Rookie All Pro or All madden its the same logic the only thing that changes is what is in the sliders such as CPU accuracy, WR catching or RB break tackles etc. No matter what sliders or settings the CPU still plays with its hands behind its back and eyes closed. To me this is the most overlooked area of the game that I rarely hear people mention and bothers me the most.

I will still get Madden 13 since football is my favorite sport and its a good reason to justify having my 360 but I would really like this area to be worked on what do you guys think? I just watched all these bonehead decisions being made in a retail M13 video so decided to post and hope someone could maybe talk me down from the ledge and tell me im overreacting or its not as bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: My biggest issue with Madden I never see talked about

I 100% agree with the play calling
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I agree the logic could be improved but then again all games with AI always need improving. But on topic of the CPU throwing into triple and double coverage.

I for myself believe there are some plays where the AI actually attempts to read the defense and make the right decision, but on other plays it is predetermined where the ball will go in the code. Thats just my opinion, could be completely wrong about that one! lol
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

The AI QB and RB are the reason a lot of people use the "no switch" rule on defense.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Rookie

tjd211's Arena

OVR: 1

This is also my biggest issue. The cpu qb throws the ball into double coverage. The running back juke into defenders instead of hitting the whole. No timely passes between the cpu qb and wr. Qb doesn't seeing the open wr and instead throw it to a wr who is covered, and the playcalling at times makes no sense. The ai in this game is so bad I can be half asleep and still shutdown tom brady with the browns. This is why I mostly play online even though I can't stand cheesers because if I am not being challenge this game is completely boring
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Agree completely. That is the main reason I didn't buy madden last year, and the reason I'm on the fence about buying it this year. Sliders are able to help the cpu running game to an extent; though not necessarily in a legitimate way. But the cpu passing game is really poor. The thing is it doesn't even matter if there are receivers open or how good the QB is - they still make really stupid decisions. Combine this with poor play calling and you have a cpu that doesn't offer much of a challenge.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

You couldn't have said it any better. I honestly think this is why I get bored of madden after a few months. Every game is the same, you can call one play repeatedly and the AI will not adjust. The only way to even make games competitive is to give the AI advantages through the sliders.

It would be nice to see coaches come with certain schemes and the ability to adjust to shutting down the players successful plays. Maybe coming up with different schemes for every coach and even a coach rating that dictates how fast the coach adapts to the players calls and exploits their weaknesses. You could even take it a step further and have this rating increase and decrease throughout their career.

This would take away money plays and make the game more enjoyable for those who play offline and get bored of dominating a predictable computer team.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Rookie

antnyboy20's Arena

OVR: 5

CPu passing used to be good ... Until everyone complained of "robo qbs"

But I agree CPU in game AI is brutal. I definitely will be trying to play online CCMs exclusively

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »