Home

Analog sensitive movement returning?

This is a discussion on Analog sensitive movement returning? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
KOV
Rookie

OVR: 0
Analog sensitive movement returning?

Any confirmation on if the realistic player movement is returning from Maddens glory days? Player movement in last gen madden/NCAA had more of an analog sensitive movement which translated very well into players moving realistically and having mass/weight.

The players in current gen iterations move very stiff and twitchy. It really destroys the immersion. Makes it seem more like robots on the field rather than people. I think the best representation of realistic movement (accurately simulating weight and mass) is FIFA.

In order to replicate the game of NFL/NCAA football, realistic player movement is needed. Seems as if the dev team don't realize this. It was in last gen but seems to have been taken out for some odd reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Analog sensitive movement returning?

This is something I never understood and to be honest it turned me off so bad early on I didn't buy the early football games that came out current gen. I hate the 'herky jerky' robotic feel but I'm ashamed to say I have gotten used to it.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

I do believe we have analog movement in Madden now. They implemented analog movement and locomotion from FIFA into Madden 11 I believe.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOV
Any confirmation on if the realistic player movement is returning from Maddens glory days? Player movement in last gen madden/NCAA had more of an analog sensitive movement which translated very well into players moving realistically and having mass/weight.

The players in current gen iterations move very stiff and twitchy. It really destroys the immersion. Makes it seem more like robots on the field rather than people. I think the best representation of realistic movement (accurately simulating weight and mass) is FIFA.

In order to replicate the game of NFL/NCAA football, realistic player movement is needed. Seems as if the dev team don't realize this. It was in last gen but seems to have been taken out for some odd reason.
I'm not sure what system you're playing on... But analog control is part of the 360/PS3 versions and has been for as long as I can remember. A noted exception being Madden 10, that had analog control for the everyone except the ball carrier.

We can debate about the quality of that analog control, transitions between movements, and whether PS2 generations of Madden were 'better' though...

The feeling of momentum becomes more apparent when players attempt the same move when running at different speeds with the left stick versus making those same moves with the sprint button depressed (assuming Auto Sprint is OFF). Juke moves without the sprint depressed give backs between a yard and a half more range. There's more of a feeling of momentum without the sprint...

Most Madden players live on the sprint button, which accounts for most of the herky-jerky movements that are typical when people take issue with player movement. Having "Auto Sprint" turned on alleviates much of the jerks, but it delivers less control. Die-hard Madden fans thrive on control.

That all said, the transitions between movements can ALWAYS improve - just not at the expense of control. I'd prefer to have full control of a jerky player than lack control on a smooth player. Herein lies the dilemma, EA has to revamp movement in a manner that doesn't break something else that could be potentially viewed as more important.

Later
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
KOV
Rookie

Good evening all. Thanks for the responses. TNT, I have to disagree with you there man. PS2 versions actually allowed you to go from a slow walk, to a jog, to a full sprint depending how much pressure you put on the stick. That precision movement is completely absent this gen. It worked with certain players better than others( it was perfect for corners and safeties)

Thats where the complaints about madden being more arcade than sim originated from. The avatars move on a weird 90 degree axis nowadays with missing transitional animations and no real mass to slow them down in certain situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOV
Good evening all. Thanks for the responses. TNT, I have to disagree with you there man. PS2 versions actually allowed you to go from a slow walk, to a jog, to a full sprint depending how much pressure you put on the stick. That precision movement is completely absent this gen. It worked with certain players better than others( it was perfect for corners and safeties)

Thats where the complaints about madden being more arcade than sim originated from. The avatars move on a weird 90 degree axis nowadays with missing transitional animations and no real mass to slow them down in certain situations.
I actually asked Ian via twitter about this when they said they are implementing FIFA's locomotion and he said that it will work basically like how you are describing. I wish I could find that tweet, but since he deleted his old account I can't find it.
But apparently it's not true.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOV

Absent? You sticks may need to be replaced. I'm 100% sure you can walk, jog, run, and sprint on the PS3 in Madden 11 and 12. Control returned to FULL ANALOG in Madden 11.

Madden 10 had no analog control for the ball carrier.

I'd have to reach back into my archives to check the specifics of Madden '06, '07, '08, and '09. Lemme know if it's necessary and I'll make a video comparing the sensitivity thru the years.

Later
Old 10-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
KOV
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Absent? You sticks may need to be replaced. I'm 100% sure you can walk, jog, run, and sprint on the PS3 in Madden 11 and 12. Control returned to FULL ANALOG in Madden 11.

Madden 10 had no analog control for the ball carrier.

I'd have to reach back into my archives to check the specifics of Madden '06, '07, '08, and '09. Lemme know if it's necessary and I'll make a video comparing the sensitivity thru the years.

Later
Yes, if it's not too much trouble I'd like to see that. Pick a safety or linebacker and slowly walk up to the line then slowly back peddle to your original position. Guarantee it won't work. I'm messing around with madden 11 ps2 as we speak. The RB has an extremely slow shuffle animation with a transition to a slow walk, to a light jog, to an upright run, then you press x if you want to sprint.

The legacy Maddens (ps2) are not to be messed with. Current gen pales in comparison. Especially when it comes to the meat of what the game should be based on. Physics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »