Home

It's Ratings Season: Patrick Peterson Top Rated Madden 12 Rookie

This is a discussion on It's Ratings Season: Patrick Peterson Top Rated Madden 12 Rookie within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
While I clearly prefer these ratings over Donny's, I still think an overall of 80 is a bit high for a rookie who has never played a snap in the NFL.
For people who may think his ratings are over-inflated, consider:

He ran a 4.34 40 time, officially.

He was one of the top performers in the 3-cone drill at 6.58 (0.14 percentage points off the Combine Record - this was actually set THIS year by Buster Skrine, so Skrine's agility SHOULD be one of the highest in the game).

I'm not sure about the Jumping rating though. I'd think 87-90 would translate better, since I'm pretty sure they're using the combine numbers. To compare, the record holder in the Broad Jump AND Vertical Jump, Donald Washington, had a 98 jump in Madden 10, and he jumped 45 inched in the vertical jump and 11 feet, 3 inches in the broad jump.

Peterson only jumped a 38 vertical jump, and 10 feet, 6 inches. So I think the JMP rating needs to be toned down a bit, around the 88-90 rating.

No problem with the coverage ratings. He was considered a true shutdown corner in college and most feel he will be in the NFL.

All this at 220 pounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I don't think Peterson should be the highest rated rookie. I don't know who should be, but I don't think it is Peterson. Head to Head, Julio Jones was better than Peterson. While Peterson didn't cover Jones on every single play, they were head to head the majority of the time. Jones definitely burned Peterson on more than one occasion.

2010: LSU 24, Alabama 21 fficeffice" />>>
Jones: 10 catches for 89 yards, 1 TD >>
Peterson: 6 tackles, 3 pass breakups>>
> >
2009: Alabama 24, LSU 15 >>
Jones: 4 catches for 102 yards, 1 TD >>
Peterson: 3 tackles, 3 pass breakups>>
> >
2008: Alabama 27, LSU 21 >>
Jones: 7 catches for 128 yards >>
Peterson: 4 tackles, 1 interception>>

I am not saying that Jones should be the top rated rookie. I am saying that Jones was as good if not better than Peterson head to head so Peterson should not be the top rated rookie.

This was just last November when Jones had 10 catches and a TD against Peterson. That doesn't sound like a shut down corner to me.
Even Darrelle Revis got burned by Randy Moss. Not an indictment of Peterson's coverage skills, but more of the skill of Jones.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
Banned

I'm curious to see the rating Madden gives Da'Quan Bowers. They can't slight the guy for injury concerns that dropped his draft stock. Last time I checked, the injury rating doesn't drop the overall rating. He was considered the #1 overall pick back in March by Todd McShay (Not sure about Kiper, you know they always disagree though )

That being said, I think 76-80 would be the appropriate range for him, but closer to 80. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the chosen few to crack 80+ this year, since it looks like it won't be many. I'm thinking Bowers, AJ Green, Marcell Dareus, Von Miller, Tyron Smith, Mike Pouncey, and possibly Cam Newton, due to the Physical ratings.

Also, don't think too quickly that Julio Jones would be the 2nd best rookie, or even have a rating above 80. Remember, he had a problem with drops, and he didn't run much routes. Those are probably the two most important ratings for a WR. So if he comes in with 70-76 catching AND route running, which is a strong possibility (It would probably end up closer to 76 since he WAS picked 6th overall) then he could end up with a rating of 76-78. So more than likely, AJ Green cracks 80 even, with better hands and route running, but certainly Jones will be faster.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #28
Banned

Re: It's Ratings Season: Patrick Peterson Top Rated Madden 12 Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I just think an entire body of sources should come together to rate players. You have their physical gifts; you have their projected impact on the league as a whole, but then you have their projected impact on a team, what the players on the team at that position were rated previously?
I can't see EA using that logic too much. For example, the Bears drafted a safety YET AGAIN in Chris Conte. Now, Angelo said he may be the first TRUE free safety, whatever THAT means, since John Lynch. (I thought a FS was just the safety who could cover, personally, but that's me). I can't see EA inflating Conte's ratings because of those comments.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
I can't see EA using that logic too much. For example, the Bears drafted a safety YET AGAIN in Chris Conte. Now, Angelo said he may be the first TRUE free safety, whatever THAT means, since John Lynch. (I thought a FS was just the safety who could cover, personally, but that's me). I can't see EA inflating Conte's ratings because of those comments.
Yeah but is he going to start day 1 for the Bears or is he competing? That's the difference between players like PP7, Jimmy Smith, both who have been given the drivers seat already and say Conte who I'm not sure he will start. If he does I think you have to look at the current safety on the roster and if Conte beats him out, you either should lower that Safety or you give Conte the same overall as him.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
Rookie

Bengals28's Arena

OVR: 4

AJ Green should be the next highest rated rookie.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #31
Rookie

ps2sportgamer's Arena

OVR: 5

What was Ted Ginn Jr's. speed rating in Madden last year? I'm pretty sure it dipped below 97 There's no way Peterson is faster than that guy...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #32
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10

I want 99's to mean all time great, best at the position. Not who is currently the best.

Few positions can come in and play at a high level as a rookie. RB's and to a lesser extent DB's and DT's can contribute as rookies, some WR's can but most need time to adjust to the coverage of NFL defenses.

It would be nice to see more players have the "sophomore slump" especially CB's and QB's. Where teams get game film on them and can see their weaknesses and what they bite on or how they can read a defense.

Reggie Nelson looked good for the Jaguars as a rookie but once the teams saw he was frequently out of position and couldn't tackle they started exploiting him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »