Home

Whats the big deal about "Route Based Passing"?

This is a discussion on Whats the big deal about "Route Based Passing"? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 19
Whats the big deal about "Route Based Passing"?

Good question.

1)Well as long as the passes are not tied to the routes, the qb drop backs will not be accurate to the play call. This could result in a 5 step drop back on a short primary route, an off-balance pass animation and a interception.

2)Also, as long as there is no relation between the pass and the route, passes will have to be magnetically attached to the receiver. With that, successful blitzes will not be entirely rewarded. Quarterbacks will then be able to high-bullet to any player at the last second with the assurance that their Wr will be able to make a play on the ball.

3) As long as the Wr is able to always make a play on the ball the game has to be designed to allow the DB's to do the same. This results in DB's running routes along with the receiver and having the ability to jump at super-human heights regardless of their momentum to compensate for the unrealistic ability of the offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Whats the big deal about "Route Based Passing"?

i have always wanted route based passing back! points 2 and 3 really set it apart from what we have now. You are right, the defense has to be compensated for the offenses' godly abilities.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Player momentum and route-based passing are the main things I miss whenever I switch from All Pro Football 2K8 to Madden.

All Pro Football 2K8 simply has a timing to its passing game that isn't there in Madden.

In Madden, you just kind of wait for your receiver to outrun the defender and get a few steps ahead, but at no point do you feel like your receivers are actually running routes.

Last edited by jyoung; 03-10-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 13

Add in the fact that in real life a QB should throw an "out/in/curl/ and a few other routes" before the receiver makes his cut, but in Madden if you throw ahead of the receiver cutting your pass is thrown as if the player were running a fly pattern!

All passes should be route based and the pass lead sensitivity should allow you to "throw away" a pass by leading the WR too far away from the defender, which seems to happen at random now without user input, but usually directly to the defender!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Player momentum and route-based passing are the main things I miss whenever I switch from All Pro Football 2K8 to Madden.

All Pro Football 2K8 simply has a timing to its passing game that isn't there in Madden.

In Madden, you just kind of wait for your receiver to outrun the defender and get a few steps ahead, but at no point do you feel like your receivers are actually running routes.
True, i feel a sense of accomplishment and accuracy when i use Maximum Passing and put a pass on the money. Conversely I feel responsible when a pass is inaccurate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 13

^^^Are you saying that having control over the game makes it fun??? Are you crazy??? JK

Nothing better than playing the old version of Madden with the route based passing button and tossing a perfect out pass and doing so by throwing before the cut and leading down and away from the defender - it really was a magical feeling!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
Add in the fact that in real life a QB should throw an "out/in/curl/ and a few other routes" before the receiver makes his cut, but in Madden if you throw ahead of the receiver cutting your pass is thrown as if the player were running a fly pattern!

All passes should be route based and the pass lead sensitivity should allow you to "throw away" a pass by leading the WR too far away from the defender, which seems to happen at random now without user input, but usually directly to the defender!!!
True, you do this in Madden and the other player will just hold triangle and their defender will turn on a dime and make a play on the ball.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Yeah if you try to throw before the cut in Madden you will get killed with INTs.

In APF, you have to let the ball go before the cut (just like in real life) because your receiver will only be open coming right out of his break and will usually be covered again a few steps after he completes his cut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »