Home

Blocking logic has gotten worse

This is a discussion on Blocking logic has gotten worse within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Blocking logic has gotten worse

After have a long conversation with Ryan Moody about Madden and it's history I felt compelled to make two videos showing Madden's past. In this talk it was said how much similar Madden 10, despite the graphic face lift, looks like Madden on the last generation; How the poor blocking AI isn't any better or worse than what we have seen over at least the last 6 years; and finally why I and others are truly losing faith in what Ian says.

In making my two videos I actually found that Madden 02's blocking logic is the best Madden blocking logic I have seen to date.

The footage speaks for itself, and I did my best to keep this as short as possible and to the point while still giving live examples.

For those unable to view the video at work or where ever, the gist is that in Madden 02, the offensive line treats the 4-3 and the 3-4 dfferently regarding it's blocking assignments and they actually consistently 5 out of 5 times double team the NT and play side DE on a run play for a 1 count before sealing off and moving on to the second level just like they should in real life.

In this second video we see example after example of the regression of the blocking AI logic in Madden and further more see a lot of similarities to even today's game on default settings. One has to ask why a game made 6 years ago, with the exception of the graphics, looks eerily similar to Madden 10 and all of the "next generation" of Madden games?

I don't care if we are told that on the 360 that EA had to start from scratch, I call shenanigans! The proof, at least regarding blocking AI and interactions, is in the footage.

Madden 10, just another roster update w/ pro-tak, online franchise, and towels? It is very possible.

P.S. I won't be surprised to see this locked. Forget comparing Madden to "the other game" let's just compare Madden to Madden and see what we find.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 38
Re: Blocking logic has gotten worse

Wow good work sir I hope someone from EA sees this......
Old 09-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29

It blows my mind to the extent people will go to not enjoy this game, or any game for that matter.. I have never bought any video game and sat down to play it with the intention of picking it a part to find every possible problem. If the game is not to your liking STOP BUYING IT! However, do not worry about my opinion, it has no consequence in the grand scheme of life, just like the Madden haters who are about to show their opinion about your video.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms24forever
It blows my mind to the extent people will go to not enjoy this game, or any game for that matter.. I have never bought any video game and sat down to play it with the intention of picking it a part to find every possible problem. If the game is not to your liking STOP BUYING IT! However, do not worry about my opinion, it has no consequence in the grand scheme of life, just like the Madden haters who are about to show their opinion about your video.
I dont think its so much people looking for things to complain about, but certain things like blocking logic are pretty easy to see and annoying.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

People have way too much time on their hands.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

People have way too much time on their hands.
This is one of the most important threads on here. We need to pay more attention to offensive line play.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 18

Nice work on the videos. That outside double team was working very well in 02'.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

and for every bad example of blocking logic...you have a good one...

EA Sports: Madden NFL 10 Video Highlight

I don't see anything that's glaringly bad with my blocking there, I even saw my left tackle block a linebacker in the second level and my WR knocked his man out of the way and that sprung me for the TD. It's also worth noting that I didn't touch the turbo until I was out in front of everyone. Every time I see someone complaining about the blocking, in person or on Live, they've always used the "suction button" (turbo button) behind or near the line of scrimmage, and that triggers those crazy animations where your guys don't block or defenders clip through blockers, etc. I GUARANTEE you that if I held down turbo at any point before the 30 yard line...I would have miraculously been tackled by someone.

Now the pursuit angles are a different story, because P-Willie probably should have had me right there but he turns up the field for some reason. And dont ask me what #36 was doing... While I do agree that they need to clean up the blocking in the game, I also think that a lot of the complaints about blocking (especially in the running game) is because using turbo makes things get all wonky and crazy and it sucks defenders to the ball carrier for some reason.

Actually, it even happens on the first play of your first video. You're speeding to the hole (I'm assuming you're using turbo) and someone rips off of a block and flings himself at your legs... Now in Madden 10 the guy just doesn't get blocked sometimes, he'll run right around or even straight past the guy that's supposed to be blocking him.

Nothings changed, it's just the form in which the craziness is delivered. In the past the guys would just rip off of blocks and tackle, and now they do that, or they just don't get blocked at all. It's still a problem with turbo being a suction button also, not exclusively a speed burst.

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 09-18-2009 at 09:21 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »