Home

Idea: Random ratings

This is a discussion on Idea: Random ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Idea: Random ratings

Hey guys

Well I been listening to all the football talk on ESPN radio and they keep going over QB battles for starting spots. This is when it kind of stuck out to me. In madden everyone just looks at ratings and starts the highest rated players. Which of course anyone would. Now the thing to me that stands out the most to me, is you don't have the randomness that happens in the NFL. You are not going to have Derrick Anderson come out and have that single season out of no where that was great.

I don't really know how to solve this issue. I was thinking something along the lines of having a sliding scale for each player. With a new rating of Consistency. Consistency is one of the biggest things in the NFL. Who can play to that high level game in and game out.

Example:
Tom Brady
Overall: Max 99 - Min 85
Short Accuracy: Max 98 - Min 75
Medium Accuracy: Max 94 - Min 70
Deep Accuracy: Max 81 - Min 63
Consistency - 90

Now the way I was seeing something like this work is on a game to game basis. Another words he might play to his FULL Potential one day and then be totally off his game the next. This would have a reason to start other QBs or players in general.

Lets look at this in a depth chart perspective. Say the back up QB has a lower overall rating but his consistency rating is high. Thus meaning he might not be the most accurate, but you know each and every game he will play to a certain level. A great example of this would be Rex Grossman. His consistency rating would be extremely low. But his sliding range would be really great. So do you choose to risk starting a off and on QB who has the skills but just can't do it each and every game or do you choose to start a middle of the road QB who plays the same all the time.

I was just randomly brain storming what is missing is madden. How do we get that randomness on the field that we see on Sundays. How many times have we seen a power house team come out and just be off its game and have its star players just not playing up to the level the do normally.

What you all think about this idea?

Last edited by Phobia; 08-26-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Pro

kiddlex's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Idea: Random ratings

Phobia I think your idea is brilliant!! What would kick in the formula to decide how they would perform that day? I would forward this one to Ian and Co. Nice work.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

Another excellent idea which was used in a previous EA football game(original HC) and still hasn't made it into madden.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

I like the idea.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 55

I LOVE this idea!

Tie things in to a consistency rating... that'd be so sick! Imagine drafting a super athletic player who is very inconsistent at first. Imagine that rating being very important.. just like that characteristic is in real life. Awesome!

This would add an extremely human element to a game of numbers. Not everyone performs at their best every play of every game. This would be a great way to make things feel more alive. "We just had an off day today".

Great idea Phobia! Something tells me we'll be seeing this in M11.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Yeah they did something like this in the original Head Coach.

There was a floor and ceiling for each player and depending on how well they practiced and how much time you gave them in practice, it impacted what their overall was.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Great idea Phobia! Something tells me we'll be seeing this in M11.

I hope so. This is a great idea.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Thanks alot guys

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »