Home

Line play the foundation of football?

This is a discussion on Line play the foundation of football? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Line play the foundation of football?

It all starts with line play. It is the foundation of the game of football and I hope it is in Madden 2010. If you work on line play and have it work with traps, belly, true zone blocking, gap play A.I.; Elite DE with signature style pass rush, DT that require double teams etc. …the rest of the game will really start to fall in place. You could have the user use the R stick to assign blocking schemes/ Defensive schemes.
( I write this every year, Still believe that if the line play were THE item that the team worked on it would take care of most of the running and passing game.

Do you agree or disagree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Line play the foundation of football?

Yeah, the offensive and defensive lines are the foundation, not doubt about it.

They are not the most glamorous positions, but without them your team is nothing. Especially the O-line.

It looks like Ian & Co. have made some great improvements in this years game regarding line play.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8

agree with you both

PSN ID- WoahThatGuy
Text: (910) 770-1533
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

The madden dev team has made great strides this year, but the one thing lacking in ol vs dl interaction is the double team. Double teams and the incorporation of them into the game are extremely important especially when running a 3-4 defense, where the dt requires a double team for the scheme to work effectively. Nose tackles in a 3-4 defense are monsters weighting in at 325+ in most cases. They're size is a requirement in the 3-4 to draw double teams and keep the LBs clean to make plays all day. I love the whole aspect of using madden as a teaching tool so its a must to have the most accurate scenarios taking place between the battles occurring amongst the big uglies.

I haven't notice true double teams from the videos released thus far of madden 10 so hopefully they can make that happen. Lovin the new ol /dl interaction just missing a few elements.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Anyone know if they actually record pancakes better for your offensive linemen? My olinemen not once ever made it to the probowl. They always tallied at most 10-15 pancakes, unless I would sim games which I don't do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agame
It all starts with line play. It is the foundation of the game of football and I hope it is in Madden 2010. If you work on line play and have it work with traps, belly, true zone blocking, gap play A.I.; Elite DE with signature style pass rush, DT that require double teams etc. …the rest of the game will really start to fall in place. You could have the user use the R stick to assign blocking schemes/ Defensive schemes.
( I write this every year, Still believe that if the line play were THE item that the team worked on it would take care of most of the running and passing game.

Do you agree or disagree?
I agree 100% and have stated this same exact idea with right stick being involved for line play. Spin , swim left and right along with power moves for d-lineman all worked on the r stick...
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 1

Agree, what happens in the trenches is probably the most important thing in determining a win and a loss.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

What would really help in terms of realism within the game is if they made the D-Line actually stay low like in real life. It really hurt the game overall for me when in '09 and in previous games where D-Linemen would start off low in their stances (good), but would then proceed to stand upright all the way (bad) and then stand and not do anything for a second (very bad). Staying low is important because beating the O-linemen is as much about leverage as it is about overpowering and quickness/technique.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »