Home

Madden 23 Beta: Five Areas That Need Improvement

This is a discussion on Madden 23 Beta: Five Areas That Need Improvement within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden 23 Beta: Five Areas That Need Improvement

The window to test the Madden 23 beta has now closed for those lucky enough to...

Written By: Kevin Scott

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 23 Beta: Five Areas That Need Improvement

As far as CPU game management, I’d like to see coaches get their own cards with coaching traits similar to players. I know on older titles we could set coaching preferences but this could go deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

I would argue “Gameplay Customization” is at the top, esp for Franchise gamers.

The first thing most do is edit Rosters or Sliders to achieve an gameplay experience they’re seeking.

The Beta is always adjusted in a way that nerfs things, then the same select individuals/community they alter the game to appease, trash the game/Dev’s eventually.

Other football alternatives are around the corner though and my energy is directed towards their releases now, more than what I as an Franchise gamer will not get in Madden.

I’m a Gameplay 1st gamer, but they consistently keep tweaking the gameplay aspects away from what I want, so….

It’s also interesting that with the new emphasis of 360 Cuts/Insta-User Stick response, that I went into the Beta expecting to see a greater expansion upon the Next Gen Stats Player Movement debuted in M21, only to be left scratching my head asking where is it at and is it already being scrapped after only 2 years for the new Field Sense Gameplay System

TBH, I expect their new marketed M23 Features to be the excuse why so little was done again, to progress an stagnant Franchise Mode towards an “complete” Mode experience.

In the Beta all the features still felt like a bunch of mechanisms grouped together with no true functional interaction amongst each other.

Just a bunch of XP Boost methods clumped together
- Coaches have no negative impact on player/team building - XP Boost
- Schemes Fit don’t produce any sort of Team Gameplay Identity - XP Boost
- Player Archetypes has “0” impact on Team Building - XP Boost

The new Player Motivations/Tags where static just like the Combine Notes

The neglected Franchise Mode needs a lot of attention beyond just 5 areas because everything in the mode is so connected that if one area/aspect doesn’t provide the needed functional support, all the other aspects end up suffering just the same.

I’ll give Madden a chance by doing the 10-Day Trial, but definitely not purchasing on any promises to include Mode aspects/features post-release date via Live Service delivery, that I’m definitely not doing again.

BTW, I loved the pre-Updated Beta Pass Rush and fumbles/knockouts.

Last edited by khaliib; 07-06-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #4
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoney168
As far as CPU game management, I’d like to see coaches get their own cards with coaching traits similar to players. I know on older titles we could set coaching preferences but this could go deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I've been thinking this same thing, it would really enhance the staff management greatly.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:20 PM   #5
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

"Let’s hope when the game does come out that they at least wait a little while after official release to fully gather feedback from the entire community before just reacting to the loudest group of voices."

Well said. The whole article was good. It's crazy how quick the devs are to jeopardize the features they marketed the most just to make the whiny YouTubers and MUT players from the feedback forums happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2022, 06:25 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I agree with the list.

Obviously more franchise improvements are at the top of my list, so I won't go there.

I did say in the beta thread that I felt it was time for special teams to be overhauled. I'd like to see the kicking mechanics redone. Something that is more difficult like what APF 2k8 would be nice.

They need to redo the kicking trajectories to get more realistic gameplay on special teams.

Regardless, we desperately need a setting similar to NBA 2k's True Shot % for FGs at the very least.

With regards to CPU in-game strategy and clock management, it is about time coaches were differentiated much more. Something like the VIP Profiles in 2k5 would be a nice first step. Coaches have tendencies and those need to be represented in the game at a basic level at the very least.

I'd like to see coaches have certain personnel groups, formations, play types, etc. that they rely on so we can more realistically gameplan and counter them.

I'd like to see coaches adjust in game at varying degrees. Some coaches are great at in-game adjustments, others aren't. That would be great to see represented in game beyond just the basic gameplan feature that was implemented last year.

It would also be nice to see some coaches be more aggressive in 4th down situations than others. It would also be amazing if the CPU started not kicking 60+ yard FGs constantly. And going back to special teams play, it would be nice if misses were done more realistically. Madden makes it seem like the average missed FG is 35 yards off target.

Lastly, on a smaller scale, it would be nice to see the CPU use more mechanics in game to their advantage. I'd love to see them put players in motion on their own to see what the coverage is. I'd love to see the CPU show blitz, but back off at the snap. I'd love to see them flip the run at the LoS. I want to see them put a WR in motion, see man coverage causing my CB to cross the field, the safety to roll over the top, and then they flip the run to attack the hole that was just opened in the box.

If Madden can start making coaches feel unique and make playing the CPU feel more dynamic, it will have the longevity that has sorely been missing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 07-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
Pro

This article pretty much confirmed any suspicion I had with the game.

We are now in the PS5/XB1X (or whatever it is called) era. How many generations do we need before realizing that the basic gameplay will always been there, with each new version having some kind of tweek?

As far as franchise, on the grand scheme of things, all they really did was add more scenarios. I'm not even sure what the heck they did with scouting, but I will say that I glad to see they will no longer scout a QBs run blocking.

Video football needs an absolute overhaul and this will only be found in a new football publisher.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:40 PM   #8
MVP

I agree with those 5 areas that need improvement. I would add trench play & presentation but they both need complete overhauls in my opinion.

Franchise mode still feels lackluster

Physics definitely need to cleaned up

I too felt like RB's were getting stuck behind lineman & lead blockers too often. They don't contextually push off as much as they should

As far as kicking, I don't know why they ever went away from the analog stick. That felt way more natural to use for kicking & was more challenging. They definitely need to go back to that.

The beta was a mixed bag for me. On one hand, the gameplay improvements (especially the new passing mechanics) kept me coming back for more. However, the stale repetitive presentation, no real meaningful franchise improvements, no refs on the field, clipping issues in the trenches with lineman's arms constantly fusing together, the ball back to ghosting through stadium walls (after they fixed it in 22), huge scorebug that takes up too much of the screen (I don't understand why they don't just make it disappear during gameplay & problem solved), no option to remove the momentum pop ups, no option to turn off the green bars over the defensive lineman, etc. I'm on the fence with getting the game this year. I'll play the trial to see if they made any improvements since the beta, but knowing their track record, unfortunately I'm not counting on it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »