Home

Playing D

This is a discussion on Playing D within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Playing D

So, how the hell do you play D?

Ok, I exaggerate, but I’m finding that it’s practically impossible for me to user anything but DL. I just cannot remotely cover anyone, man or zone. What’s the trick to it? I’ve tried strafing, but one cut and I’m hopelessly behind the receiver. I’ve gone though the skills trainers but they haven’t helped.

On the plus side, I’m just playing against the computer, but I’d like to be able to user some different positions now and again, and right now if I play LB or DB, unless I’m blitzing, I’m just giving up huge play after huge play.

Help for a pathetic defender? Like, can someone who users a MLB in zone coverage walk me through what you do pre- and post-snap?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

Re: Playing D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbattisti

Ok, I exaggerate, but I’m finding that it’s practically impossible for me to user anything but DL. I just cannot remotely cover anyone, man or zone. What’s the trick to it? I’ve tried strafing, but one cut and I’m hopelessly behind the receiver. I’ve gone though the skills trainers but they haven’t helped.

On the plus side, I’m just playing against the computer, but I’d like to be able to user some different positions now and again, and right now if I play LB or DB, unless I’m blitzing, I’m just giving up huge play after huge play.

Help for a pathetic defender? Like, can someone who users a MLB in zone coverage walk me through what you do pre- and post-snap?

Thanks!

Usering on defense in madden is ugly tbh. Cb play is almost inpossible to play realistically with cuts and whatnot vs what the user can do and how the input correlates on field. Best thing to do is remember plsy design and MLB assignment and try and fill that spot if in zone. If its man coverage the best you can do is guess routes and try and jump them.

Most routes are TE 5yrd curl option to barely move you or drag/crossers by wrs. RBs out of the backfield are fairly easy flat routes or texas(fake flat then cut back underneath). Never start with accelaration pressed to deplete stamina and only use when staying on top of a crosser/drag or rushing to hit a RB in the flats for TFL.

Also, pre play i always adjust the Dline to up, right, down, or left for pressure or shift it entirely to try and cover any Run plays to the stronger side or cut backs. Depending on pressure and how big a hole opens up thats where i attack or lay back to read the RB post handoff direction and watching the Oline shift to block.

Should help but i like S play, as i can cover most mistakes my LBs and CBs make with blown coverage. Gameplay is ok but user input is either overpowered one year with cover radius/speed or laggy/slow with the opposite non realism movement compared to cpu.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

NFL --- JAX JAGUARS (DUUUUVAAAL)
MLB --- BOSTON RED SOX
NBA --- LAKERS4LIFE
NCAAF --- GATOR NATION (UF)
NCAAB --- DUKE BLUE DEVILS
MLS --- DC UNITED
BARCLAYS PL --- CHELSEA

MUSIC/ARTIST ALIAS --- SHIESTY SLIM
"CRAY CRAY" available on ITUNES, GOOGLE PLAY, AMAZON

Last edited by GoJags904; 10-26-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
Pro

Honestly, I feel your pain.

About the only position I feel safe about controlling are the deep zones. I don't really have to worry too much about a sharp cut with those routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbattisti

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
Pro

Thanks for the tips, all!

Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Cash Stevens's Arena

I got the same problem ...

This year I haven't kept a team to under 30 points smhh

Tried usering a DL.. end up getting killed by 10 yard passing routes.

Tried usering a LB... End up getting killed on passes because I just can't move quick enough if a TE or WR makes a cut.

Tried usering a CB... But if it's a running play I'm just out there in no man's land with the camera on the ball, me not even in the frame lmaooo

****s so hard this year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Stevens
I got the same problem ...

This year I haven't kept a team to under 30 points smhh

Tried usering a DL.. end up getting killed by 10 yard passing routes.

Tried usering a LB... End up getting killed on passes because I just can't move quick enough if a TE or WR makes a cut.

Tried usering a CB... But if it's a running play I'm just out there in no man's land with the camera on the ball, me not even in the frame lmaooo

****s so hard this year

Yeah I have pretty much decided I can only play:

DL
LB if blitzing or maybe man coverage
S if blitzing or deep zone

Even then I have a knack for whiffing on tackles as last man back at S. Sigh.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

I play DT/DE for this reason.

The difference between O and D due to this is
Offence is about executing the play. You control the passer/ball carrier, and choose the right option and the right time, and you will succeed.
Defence is much more about playcalling, personnel, and pre-snap adjustments.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
MVP

prey2god's Arena

I play weird. Walk with me...

I play Pro on Playmaker's Pro Default settings which will allow CPU to take control if you don't move the joystick.

On Defense, i'll select the MLB and don't move them at all. Prior to hike, I'll make my play adjustments accordingly. When CPU QB hikes the ball, if it's a run, i'll highlight the player nearest to ball carrier without moving joystick. On pass plays, i'll do the same but depending on the trajectory of the ball, I highlight, wait for the ball to almost get near and use aggressive catch, possession, etc whilst moving joystick to get in position.

For offense, I play like this almost 75% of the time. Just using QB. I let the RB do it's thing most times. But sometimes i'll take control at the last minute.

Hope this helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »