Home

Dallas Cowboys play book

This is a discussion on Dallas Cowboys play book within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Rookie

LocDawg5050's Arena

OVR: 0
Dallas Cowboys play book

After watching last night's game against the Bucs, the first thing I noticed is the plays called where NOT like the onse listed in the default Dallas play book. This may be a stretch, but which PB best resembles what they ran. I saw Dak come out in some pistol at times.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Dallas Cowboys play book

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawg5050
After watching last night's game against the Bucs, the first thing I noticed is the plays called where NOT like the onse listed in the default Dallas play book. This may be a stretch, but which PB best resembles what they ran. I saw Dak come out in some pistol at times.

I assume things will change in the Cowboys live playbook soon.

Last year the Cowboys ran 11 personnel something like 77% of the time, they didn’t move their receivers around the formation much if at all (they didn’t have time to teach each receiver the different positions due to COVID restrictions; CeeDee Lamb was almost exclusively a slot receiver in 2020), and they rarely if ever put Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard on the field at the same time. The offense we saw last night was much more diverse than anything Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore put on tape last season.

As to answer your question - maybe the Dolphins? They have a few Pistol sets, they have under center zone runs, and they have many shotgun passing sets, including one which puts two RBs on the field. They don’t look like they have many shotgun sets with an offset running back, though, which means if you put Tony Pollard as 3DRB1 on the depth chart he’s going to get into the game more in shotgun, whereas the Cowboys made heavy use of Zeke from their shotgun passes last night as a sixth pass protector and don’t really employ the concept of a 3rd down back in their offense.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Rookie

LocDawg5050's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Last year the Cowboys ran 11 personnel something like 77% of the time, they didn’t move their receivers around the formation much if at all (they didn’t have time to teach each receiver the different positions due to COVID restrictions; CeeDee Lamb was almost exclusively a slot receiver in 2020), and they rarely if ever put Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard on the field at the same time. The offense we saw last night was much more diverse than anything Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore put on tape last season.

As to answer your question - maybe the Dolphins? They have a few Pistol sets, they have under center zone runs, and they have many shotgun passing sets, including one which puts two RBs on the field. They don’t look like they have many shotgun sets with an offset running back, though, which means if you put Tony Pollard as 3DRB1 on the depth chart he’s going to get into the game more in shotgun, whereas the Cowboys made heavy use of Zeke from their shotgun passes last night as a sixth pass protector and don’t really employ the concept of a 3rd down back in their offense.
Very nice feedback....ill be sure to.lab with the Phins PB. Yeah I really like how they stayed away from the run as the Bucs had the boxed stacked almost all night. Why not throw it 50 plus times.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
Rookie

TX.Leaguer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The cowboy’s playbook has been the same since I started playing madden again in ‘17. Eagles still have Chip Kelly plays/formations. As someone who always builds their own playbook from scratch, Madden is way past due for showing some love to the playbook feature.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:43 AM   #5
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.Leaguer
The cowboy’s playbook has been the same since I started playing madden again in ‘17. Eagles still have Chip Kelly plays/formations. As someone who always builds their own playbook from scratch, Madden is way past due for showing some love to the playbook feature.
Yeah it seems only a few playbooks are touched per year. Far and away the most stale aspect of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
Rookie

This has been an area of frustration for me as well. Generalized plays for all teams. I’ve found making a custom playbook is the only way, but it’s a time commitment. I start with the Rams playbook (Kellen Moore has admitted in the past to stealing plays from McVay and admiring their close formations and pre-snap movement) and then add a few formations and 9-12 plays in those.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:15 AM   #7
Banned

I absolutely agree with you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »