Home

Can't Stick with a Franchise

This is a discussion on Can't Stick with a Franchise within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

I keep starting over. I want to play with the Jets but I feel like the user draft classes are too OP and the regular draft classes don't give you the feel to get invested.

Does anyone have any insight? I want to get one going and play it for a bit. I usually don't have this problem, but with the Jets not deciding yet about moving forward with Sam or drafting a QB, I am having a hard time. Any suggestions would help!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
Rookie

Dsabol715's Arena

Re: Can't Stick with a Franchise

This year, what I do is make minimal moves and sim a year with Gase. After week 17, I take over as myself. I’ll wind up drafting a QB in 1-2 round to start OR trade for Hurts. I’ve always traded Darnold too. It’s been my way to get more vested into the game. A fresh start a year later. A whole new draft and free agency. Trade about 5-7 players. I can build the team how I want. I’ve had so much fun doing it this way this game.
Pokemon Emerald

Teams:
New York Jets
New York Mets
Philadelphia Flyers
Old 03-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

At this time of year I also enjoy the rebuild starting At SB. Houston is a difficult but fun one. I force myself to release Watt and trade Watson. To see what could happen. Very challenging. As it puts you up against cap when trading Watson so you can’t spend much in free agency first year. And you have limited draft capital until trading Watson. The team is really empty on talent after these moves.
I typically like to trade for Hurts or Daniel Jones or you could take Darnold back on trade or Tua depending on what you fancy

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Pro

Cory Levy's Arena

It's hard for me to also stick with a singular franchise. I love playing as my favorite team (the Cowboys) but it's so hard when I get that conflict between it being my own contained universe versus matching the moves the team makes in real life. Then I also love building a new team from scratch but it's too easy to 'game' the system and make the team good a little too quickly.

All of that is confounded by the fact that Madden itself really makes no effort in immersing you or keeping you interested in your own franchise. It boils down to feeling like you're just churning through a string of play now games for no rhyme or reason.

I've taken some time off from playing the game and I'm planning on going full in on an 'all out' franchise where I turn the AFC South into my playground of sorts (I switch back and forth between two 'storylines' that I love, that being a Toronto team filled with XFL cast offs that is sort of a 'loveable misfits' type team and a San Antonio expansion made up of former Cowboys players/personnel as a sort of rival against Jerry Jones and I plan on doing both in the same franchise).
Old 03-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Rookie

I find that house rules are an absolute must. We all know how easy it is to game the system, both on the field and off. Set yourself some rules that restrict your ability to build a SB team in a year. The slightly improved trade logic helps, can't be tempted to trade 70+ starters for high picks.

I also keep a spreadsheet for my franchises that helps my immersion. Track roster, schedule, draft, full standings/post season etc. It's nice they've included some of this in game, but I find taking half an hour to fill the sheet out in the off season helps keep me interested.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylsz
I find that house rules are an absolute must. We all know how easy it is to game the system, both on the field and off. Set yourself some rules that restrict your ability to build a SB team in a year. The slightly improved trade logic helps, can't be tempted to trade 70+ starters for high picks.

I also keep a spreadsheet for my franchises that helps my immersion. Track roster, schedule, draft, full standings/post season etc. It's nice they've included some of this in game, but I find taking half an hour to fill the sheet out in the off season helps keep me interested.

Curious, what else do you incorporate for house rules off the field other than not manipulating trades? I’ve done a great job of “limiting” myself by doing the list below, but still feel like it’s a bit too easy to build a great team.

- not playing games with breakout scenarios
- only bronze trainings
- passing on all 5th year options
- not adjusting contract length by more or less than 1 year from the recommended length at resigning/FA
- minimizing use of FA after the draft and only after the regular season has started if say I’m filling a hole for somebody on IR
- only accepting CPU requested trades while ensuring it’s also not one sided (ex: not trading an 80 ovr 29 year old at end of contract for a second round pick)

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #7
Rookie

You actually have a one or two more than me - I do everything you've listed except not play breakout scenarios (although recently I had two in a row for Denzel Mims and deliberately made sure not to hit on the second game), and taking 5th year options.

I think the most important is limiting yourself on contract offers and in FA - it's too easy to sign young guys on very long, cheap deals, and because there's no contract restructuring feature you end up with a 80+ starter on a low 70s contract.

Usually only trade my players off the block from offers, and similarly only accept or reject draft trade offers, never go in and try and 'walk up' the deal slowly.

I play offline so sometimes I also slightly edit CPU rosters, doing things you do for yourself like moving a lineman if you have 3RGs and no LG or something like that.

When I first started playing I was taking FAs and trading them for picks, and low balling off season FAs with no guaranteed money, and I wondered why I could turn anyone into a SB team in two seasons! Even with house rules its easily achievable, but at least it feels more challenging.

Last edited by taylsz; 03-29-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #8
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

I must've started a dozen or more franchises since this game came out in August and I've only completed one season winning the Superbowl with the Rams. I keep getting drawn to either the Jets for a build or the Packers because of Rodgers but then get bored and start over. It's like I have franchise ADD. And I've lost track of how many Houston Oilers reborns I've started.

So now I'm starting a Rams fantasy franchise because I love SoFi stadium and the Rams new uniforms. Baker Mayfield would look great in them while slinging passes to Davante Adams/DeAndre Hopkins and Hunter Henry.

I'll probably stop playing altogether once MLB The Show comes out.

Last edited by speedkills; 03-29-2021 at 10:03 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »