Home

Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVID

This is a discussion on Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVID within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVID

I thought this was a rather humanizing article. Touches on how both the Madden NFL and UFC dev teams handled product development during this, well, interesting year.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/09...g-during-covid
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVI

They were definitely affected the same way everybody else was. This will get lost in the debate though. They are making video games for profit and we buy them for our entertainment. But, they are still human beings. Gotta take that into consideration man.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Game Informer - EA Sports Opens Up About The Challenges Of Developing During COVI

Well back in April I said this is not good. COVID, along with the new console launch was just a bad combination.

EA should have made the decision to abandon "The Yard" (I know I keep saying that and I know I'm biased because it's so stupid) and worried about it another day.

Between MUT, The Yard, CFM, and Storymode, they are essentially trying to produce four games into one disk. And since you got PS5 coming, it's double that... which tells me that PS5 will be nothing more than the PS4 with shiny graphics but I digress.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Rookie

They've had a decade to improve franchise mode but ignored it even before COVID. It wasn't going to be a priority for them this year as FOTF and The Yard still would have got the focus. No sympathy from me.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

I’m sure Covid affected EA as it did everybody. But in a year when the exclusive license was actively sought by them and would inevitably be received with a mixed reaction, their decision to go all-in on an arcade mode made the overwhelmingly negative reaction this year inevitable.

Last edited by RogerDodger; 09-03-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsaba
They've had a decade to improve franchise mode but ignored it even before COVID. It wasn't going to be a priority for them this year as FOTF and The Yard still would have got the focus. No sympathy from me.

Gotta say I agree strongly with this.

Look, we were all affected by COVID. There's two groups that are going to emerge on the other side: the ones who whine about how difficult it was to adapt to a changing workplace, and the ones who suck it up and find ways to thrive despite the additional challenges.

Of course I understand why they're releasing an article like this in the midst of all the hate they're getting... they need a PR win more than anyone right now... but there's plenty of devs releasing quality games in the middle of the same exact pandemic as Tiburon faced. No reason to complain about it and act like they faced some super unique set of circumstances that their consumers and other game developers didn't.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsaba
Exactly, most of the fanbase isn't upset cause how awful M21 is. It's been awful arguably since 08. They have removed more features then added. And many of the features added were in the older iterations at some point. Covid doesn't excuse the previous 10+ years of poor gameplay, terrible presentation, and awful franchise modes.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
Well back in April I said this is not good. COVID, along with the new console launch was just a bad combination.

EA should have made the decision to abandon "The Yard" (I know I keep saying that and I know I'm biased because it's so stupid) and worried about it another day.

Between MUT, The Yard, CFM, and Storymode, they are essentially trying to produce four games into one disk. And since you got PS5 coming, it's double that... which tells me that PS5 will be nothing more than the PS4 with shiny graphics but I digress.
The Yard does nothing for me at all. Not even a little bit interested in it.

This seems like an example of personal taste or opinion vs objectivity.

Reading that the goal of The Yard was to broaden appeal of an NFL game and the fact it's pretty much universally the only thing mentioned in any review, even the real bad ones, as a positive, tells me that maybe that's what they got right.

It just doesn't appeal to you and I so it feels like resources poorly used.

I think the reality is that Madden hasn't really done much to innovate long before The Yard was conceptualized so I guess I dont see the correlation between things really being different this year if The Yard wasnt a thing.

I will say that covid probably contributed to the game being a buggy mess but I'm confident patches will fix that.

Long story short, I have very little confidence that EA would have made great decisions that affect my personal enjoyment of Madden even without The Yard lol
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »