Home

Madden's aging fanbase

This is a discussion on Madden's aging fanbase within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Madden's aging fanbase

Is Madden's fanbase aging?

I'll be 37 in two weeks. I've been playing madden since the absolute first one back on the Sega Genesis. I joined OS back in the mid 2000s to follow madden news year round, and even then there were players in their 30s on here. I don't know anyone's age, but I get the feeling that there aren't a lot of people under 25 in here which has me wondering, is Madden keeping up with all of the younger gamers out there now?

This new streamlined presentation feature is interesting because I remember when people wanted ALL of the presentation stuff. I never cared much for presentation personally, but I have hardly ever watched a cut scene in years, and that's becuase I've got 2 kids, a wife, a full time job, etc. I don't have time to waste, and from the response on here, I'm not alone in that feeling of wasted time watching repetative cutscenes.

But more importantly, are there kids playing this game? Are there kids online playing madden and MUT? Are there kids showing up at pro tourneys? I know the avg gamer is in their 30s, but games don't survive on that population alone, it has to grow with each generation, or it will end up like comic books.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Madden's aging fanbase

I'm 32 and have also been an avid madden player since the Sega genesis days. I can't speak for everyone but I feel like the sim football crowd has gotten older, bit I believe that the younger generation still is heavily involved in the game just more in the MUT side of things. I could be wrong but I also believe that the younger crowd at least a majority of them choose to voice their opinions and discuss games on social media sites like Twitter rather than come to forums like OS.

As far as streamlined presentation, I'm with you I have a 2 year old running around at home so I don't have nearly as much time to game so I don't mind it. The only part I don't like that they're getting rid of is the walk up to the line because that can provide a few extra moments to get good pre-play read. I definitely am not opposed to less cut scenes though, especially the repetitive ones like the awkward looking coach cut scene they always go to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 2

I’m 50 , I have been playing madden since sega genesis also, I am strictly sim offline player, I have gotten every madden since it first came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

41. Been playing since the first Genesis game as well. Also strictly an offline CFM gamer.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Rookie

Beardown's Arena

OVR: 5

I am 52 and I do not mind the presentation, I prefer it actually now that save games is back. I do not have enough time typically to finish games at night but I just quit out and resume the next night. I wish they had more presentation like the halftime show.

I am offline only.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I’m 32, and generally agree with OP sentiment. I look at myself over 10 years ago and think about how much I valued TV presentation with little to no shortcuts. I still have no children, but I’m certainly more sensitive to the time I invest in gaming.

Guess my point is, 10 years ago, I’d be quite turned off that they’re trying to skip a major piece of the presentation. These days, I at least want to see what they come up with. There may be a way to do it where it still feels like a TV broadcast, just with a more streamlined approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Is Madden's fanbase aging?

I'll be 37 in two weeks. I've been playing madden since the absolute first one back on the Sega Genesis. I joined OS back in the mid 2000s to follow madden news year round, and even then there were players in their 30s on here. I don't know anyone's age, but I get the feeling that there aren't a lot of people under 25 in here which has me wondering, is Madden keeping up with all of the younger gamers out there now?

This new streamlined presentation feature is interesting because I remember when people wanted ALL of the presentation stuff. I never cared much for presentation personally, but I have hardly ever watched a cut scene in years, and that's becuase I've got 2 kids, a wife, a full time job, etc. I don't have time to waste, and from the response on here, I'm not alone in that feeling of wasted time watching repetative cutscenes.

But more importantly, are there kids playing this game? Are there kids online playing madden and MUT? Are there kids showing up at pro tourneys? I know the avg gamer is in their 30s, but games don't survive on that population alone, it has to grow with each generation, or it will end up like comic books.
It depends on who you ask. I'm 22 and I've been playing Madden for literally my whole life; my first video game was Madden 2001 for the PC/Nintendo 64. We still do Madden tournaments back at college and, while I don't join because of the (IMO) hideous state of the game, there's a large group of young people that still play Madden. When I was playing, I stuck strictly to offline, though.

Same thing with Mortal Kombat and other game franchises that've been around for decades. Most of us youngsters still appreciate the "old" games from time to time.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #8
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Im 43. The first Madden game I played was the first one for Sega Genesis. Ive pretty much seen it all with this Franchise. There have been some great ones and some piss poor ones. I think the peak time regarding gameplay and features was the PS2 age and i dont think its a coincidence that they were at their best when they had COMPETITION!!

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »