Home

NFL Head Coach 09 Thoughts

This is a discussion on NFL Head Coach 09 Thoughts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6
NFL Head Coach 09 Thoughts

Never played NFL Head Coach 09, but have been watching videos and reading about the features it had. I just wanted to see what everyone thought of it, when it was relevant or even now. I know we all want every feature from that game to be in CFM, but what were some of its best features? What were some of its worst features? Here's to hoping Madden 20 has something in this direction.
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NFL Head Coach 09 Thoughts

Simply put - It is what CFM should be, as its base.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #3
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Simply put - It is what CFM should be, as its base.
Do you remember how big of a file that game was ? Like is that even possible to bring all that into a next gen game with all the features and game modes
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers
Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

It has been a long time since I had it but I enjoyed it. Yeah if you could take that management system and then run get the Madden graphics for gameplay it would be the motts, but then you can say that about OOTP baseball and The Show or Football manager and PES/Fifa.

I'm wondering given the depth of NBA2K's franchise/GM and other modes my first impression is that yes it could be possible to get some form of Head Coach in combination with the Madden play.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
Do you remember how big of a file that game was ? Like is that even possible to bring all that into a next gen game with all the features and game modes
I do not recall the exact file size. It would be very possible to bring the game into next gen. The bulk of file size is used up by graphics, images and video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I do not recall the exact file size. It would be very possible to bring the game into next gen. The bulk of file size is used up by graphics, images and video.
Depends if that "older technology" would mesh with the updated technology. ie frostbite, etc.... From what I've discovered, the old tech doesn't work with with new tech or legacy coding.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Depends if that "older technology" would mesh with the updated technology. ie frostbite, etc.... From what I've discovered, the old tech doesn't work with with new tech or legacy coding.
But I've always viewed these games as more of "what does the 'excel' type file that describes the players, their animations, their ratings, their skills, etc." look like when you're loading the file of the Cowboys to play the Giants. The rest of the management module is not needed at that point. So what would be the way to get the depth of HC (I agree the work would need to be done to get it working on modern consoles/PCs) and when you go to load the day's game, the same type of thing that is currently used by Madden to put the right teams, right animations and right skills, plus correct location, correct weather, correct crowds, extracted from the HC module to let the game play like Madden. Then the opposite would need to occur but currently we have some rudimentary form where the stats are integrated, players get hurt and that shows up on the team screens, players gain or lose progression. Then once you're out of the gameplay the management module kicks in. And there I'd just be looking at depth of activities, I don't need graphics like the gameplay would give me (though folks will b**** that they want to see player actually train)...

Really it could be two separate games that talk to one another (left brain/right brain). At least that's how I always looked at OOTP and the Show, and if only those companies could get together to figure out how to make it work you'd have a very deep detailed management mode of OOTP with the more realistic gameplay of the Show. the HC /Madden connection I think we all thought would be something really possible and like I said, for me, I'm seeing alot of that with NBA 2K, so I think if they put the effort in (and there's the rub, and it is likely not in their business plan for the upcoming years) it could be done.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
But I've always viewed these games as more of "what does the 'excel' type file that describes the players, their animations, their ratings, their skills, etc." look like when you're loading the file of the Cowboys to play the Giants. The rest of the management module is not needed at that point. So what would be the way to get the depth of HC (I agree the work would need to be done to get it working on modern consoles/PCs) and when you go to load the day's game, the same type of thing that is currently used by Madden to put the right teams, right animations and right skills, plus correct location, correct weather, correct crowds, extracted from the HC module to let the game play like Madden. Then the opposite would need to occur but currently we have some rudimentary form where the stats are integrated, players get hurt and that shows up on the team screens, players gain or lose progression. Then once you're out of the gameplay the management module kicks in. And there I'd just be looking at depth of activities, I don't need graphics like the gameplay would give me (though folks will b**** that they want to see player actually train)...

Really it could be two separate games that talk to one another (left brain/right brain). At least that's how I always looked at OOTP and the Show, and if only those companies could get together to figure out how to make it work you'd have a very deep detailed management mode of OOTP with the more realistic gameplay of the Show. the HC /Madden connection I think we all thought would be something really possible and like I said, for me, I'm seeing alot of that with NBA 2K, so I think if they put the effort in (and there's the rub, and it is likely not in their business plan for the upcoming years) it could be done.
Coach, anything is possible, I'm just recalling a post from AJ(former EA employee on the game play team) that the old tech doesn't mesh with the new tech very well.

Also, HC wasn't just developed in 09, I think the first one was 05 or 06, you are talking about close to 15 years of tech combined with legacy coding as well.

Love for it to happen, I don't see it happening.

I feel they would need to start from scratch and build something new.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »