Home

Looking for a few tips regarding res-signing/negotiations/salary cap and the like...

This is a discussion on Looking for a few tips regarding res-signing/negotiations/salary cap and the like... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Looking for a few tips regarding res-signing/negotiations/salary cap and the like...

Ok guys, got into my second off-season and started with negative 11 million bucks...clearly i re-signed too many folks and signed too many free agents.... (grabbed a few guys i didnt need) but i'm mostly looking for any really nice tips to managing my finances....maybe some big do's and donts kinda stuff

thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Looking for a few tips regarding res-signing/negotiations/salary cap and the like

When I was low on salary cap space I went to rosters and sorted by salary numbers. And then the players who had the highest salary who I felt like I could do without, I simply put on the trading block

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Looking for a few tips regarding res-signing/negotiations/salary cap and the like

Look for players who aren't playing up to their cap hit and cut them as soon as you reasonably can (typically the offseason, when your cap room increases).

For example, if you are playing as the Cowboys, you probably will want to cut Brandon Carr after the first season. He's got a massive cap hit for 2017 (over $8M, iirc) and isn't nearly good enough of a player on this game to justify that much of your cap space (OVR 76).

Be sure when doing this, however, that you don't cut players on the first or second years of long contracts with large signing bonuses. You will probably lose more money via the cap penalty incurred than you will save for getting the player's contract off your books. Look at the Cap Savings field prior to cutting any player to make sure you aren't incurring a large penalty, and be sure to periodically visit the Salaries screen to check out your current and next year cap situation.

Last edited by Hooe; 09-12-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #4
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7

I could also use some advice!, I'm running with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Should I re-sign 33 year old veteran WR Vincent Jackson and 34 year old LOLB Daryl Smith?...or take my chances in Free Agency/Draft
Old 09-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

Dont be afraid of taking cap penalties. A lot of madden guys act like its spitting on the virgin mary. If you want to play owner mode youre gonna need to worry about money more than your back ups OVR. When Im doing my preseason cuts for example with the niners I dropped kaepernick so fast he was still kneeling on the sideline when he got the tweet. His bonus isnt massive and the penalty is spread out over two years, and I just saved myself 16-20 million over the next couple of years to bat with. Cap penalties are just part of the game.

It makes more sense to cut a marginal guy with a big contract and just work around it. Every game he is sitting or plugging a hole is a waste of resources. Its always better to cut him, pick up a 1 year FA for a fraction of the price and pick up a cheap guy in the draft, penalty be damned. Economically this is why the CBA is set up the way it is and why draft picks are so valuable. Its an almost assured method of getting at least replacement level players for peanuts.

Last edited by wellred; 09-13-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7

Some great info here!...
Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Pro

As for the bucs, unless they're asking close to the minimum dollar amount, I wouldn't resign them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
Rookie

kcchiefs1984's Arena

I put the guys on the trading block first. If I get no responses I cut the player but if there is any interest I trade the player in the manual trade section. I find you can get better deals than what is offered to you. If you plan on cutting a guy any way maybe you can at least get a draft pick for him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »