Home

Defensive side of the ball.

This is a discussion on Defensive side of the ball. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Defensive side of the ball.

Offensively, I got it figured out. Defensively, so inconsistent.

I know a flaw of mine is I need to utilize user controls more effectively. I make the wrong move too often.

Aside from that, I don't know If I'm calling the wrong plays at the wrong times or using a bad playbook ect but sometimes it's just so inconsistent and a team that should have a good or great defense gets picked apart.

Are you having a great deal of success on defense ? If you are, what is the secret formula? Do you only use a certain handful of plays ? What changes pre-snap? Where do you hover your user controlled LB Safety or whoever you use ?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Re: Defensive side of the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleZ_3
Offensively, I got it figured out. Defensively, so inconsistent.

I know a flaw of mine is I need to utilize user controls more effectively. I make the wrong move too often.

Aside from that, I don't know If I'm calling the wrong plays at the wrong times or using a bad playbook ect but sometimes it's just so inconsistent and a team that should have a good or great defense gets picked apart.

Are you having a great deal of success on defense ? If you are, what is the secret formula? Do you only use a certain handful of plays ? What changes pre-snap? Where do you hover your user controlled LB Safety or whoever you use ?

Let me guess: You can stop the run, but can't stop the pass? The only way to stop the pass is to generate pressure, but the CPU won't generate enough on its own - you will need to user the ends. The problem is now you have to rely on the CPU players to play coverage which is problematic on some routes.

Pick your spots, and send more than they can block. Or, when you opponet is playing against the hash, send pressure from the boundry. Alot of times this causes the errant throw mechanic to kick in.

It's tough. In this game you are going to get shredded even if you call the right plays so just keep trying to get to the QB and get turnovers.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
Let me guess: You can stop the run, but can't stop the pass? The only way to stop the pass is to generate pressure, but the CPU won't generate enough on its own - you will need to user the ends. The problem is now you have to rely on the CPU players to play coverage which is problematic on some routes.

Pick your spots, and send more than they can block. Or, when you opponet is playing against the hash, send pressure from the boundry. Alot of times this causes the errant throw mechanic to kick in.

It's tough. In this game you are going to get shredded even if you call the right plays so just keep trying to get to the QB and get turnovers.
Yes, and yes. Haha. Finding the balance, consistently is rather difficult.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
Rookie

Keep them off the field aswell. Own that possession time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Pick what you want to give up in the passing game and defend everything else. A general rule(in real life that is) is that if you are going to have holes in your defense, let it be the outsides and medium length and on. Cover the inside, cover the flats, and force the QB to make precise throws deep to the outsides.

Trust your secondary. Don't be afraid of pressing and going with zero coverage if it means you can send more guys than they have blockers. The WR's will have to beat the jam, the QB will have to make a throw under pressure, and you can really disrupt the flow of the play by doing this.

Follow the offenses tendencies. Where are they beating you? Is it the TE? Slants? Posts? Sometimes we overthink. See what's beating you and call the coverage that defends it.

Don't get obsessed with cover 3. It seems like a lot of people fall into the trap of think cover 3 gives them solid coverage over most of the field and they fall back onto it. DO NOT DO THIS. Cover 3 is easy to beat if you know it's coming. Anything in the seam will destroy it generally.

You have to mix things up and know what your strengths are. I use the Redskins, this game has their secondary pretty weak, but I will still mix it up and run cover 0 and force the QB to make a throw under pressure. Sometimes it beats me, sometimes I get the pressure and get a sack, poor throw, or even a turnover.

Don't be afraid to get beat. If you call defense scared, you've already lost. If you don't trust your defense and always have your safeties back, you've lost. You have to be aggressive and force mistakes. Playing conservative and waiting on the offense to mess up is basically killing yourself slowly. Know that big plays will happen for and against you, but do everything you can to ensure that if the offense gets a 23 yard pass that they earned it and it wasn't easy at all.

Hopefully this can help you.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2015, 03:44 AM   #6
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

What about can't stop the run with any consistency?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 AM   #7
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_The_Door
What about can't stop the run with any consistency?
I don't normally hear that one. What types of runs are causing you trouble? Typically, power and outside zone/stretch plays cause the most damage, and if that's the case, you need to play the force player on the defense - making them cut the run inside where your help is. 8 man fronts help this because all 8 gaps, assuming one back personel, are accounted for.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 AM   #8
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
I don't normally hear that one. What types of runs are causing you trouble? Typically, power and outside zone/stretch plays cause the most damage, and if that's the case, you need to play the force player on the defense - making them cut the run inside where your help is. 8 man fronts help this because all 8 gaps, assuming one back personel, are accounted for.
I run cover 3 sky which effectively makes the safety down safety the force player. Inside zone and fb dive are thorns in my side.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »