Home

Things I've Noticed in Madden 16

This is a discussion on Things I've Noticed in Madden 16 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Things I've Noticed in Madden 16

Madden 16 has made some major changes in the way the game works, not just in game but also behind the scenes in things such as franchise mode. I'll discuss what've I noticed, how to exploit/defend said changes, and just comments on the overall game.

The passing attack.
Madden has taken passing to an all new level. Jump balls are now actually a thing, and placing the ball exactly where you want it is even better. Now it isn't perfect, but here are some tips on how to use the new system.
1) A good WR is a must for jump balls. Dez, DT, Megatron, and OBJr. are all great in this game for the fact that they catch those down the field "triangle" or "Y" catches close to 60% of the time. The key is watching for a one-on-one matchup with a sub-par defender with no safety to help. On the reverse side, having good CBs is far more important in this game to stop jump-balls, as well as a ball hawking safety like Earl Thomas. Also, take advantage of L2 or LT throws on curl routes. You don't need as much separation as you did in previous Maddens to get a completion on curls, as long as you time the throw and watch for the low outside, light blue, zone that can pick those off easily. I'm also glad interceptions are a thing instead of an unlikely gift. A bad throw often results in a pick, as well as tipped balls can be caught by a nearby safety. While this happens more often than in real life due to the fact that most Madden players are not NFL QBs, it does a good job to balance the new passing mechanics and make defense far less frustrating.

"Picking apart" the defense.
With the multitude of new throws at your disposal, it becomes much easier to "pick apart" a defense. From what I've played online, people like to go deep... a lot. And while this may reap big rewards, it's a very high risk way to play the game. But picking apart a defense with smart throws became a heck of a lot easier in this game. With the new passing mechanics, you can make throws into tight windows on short passes, as well as take a drag with a broken tackle for a touchdown. Utilizing the new (and old) pass plays that have routes that beat both man and zone coverage, you can quickly read a defense (I tend to do so in the following order: is there a blitz coming and from where, is it man or zone, is there a light blue zone near the line of scrimmage on the outside (only matters for short passes), is it cover 2, 3, 4, or 6 (only matters for long passes), do I see any blown coverages) and throw to the hole or do the open man.

Franchise mode is... different.
Franchise mode is my favorite game mode because I love building a championship team. But a lot has changed this year. For one, you can't see development grades during a fantasy draft (if you do one), which means you have to use an online resource to look for players worth developing. Also, XP is far harder to come by, and in game goals have a huge effect on player performance. I've had O-Line players with 114 pass blocking during a blowout where I met the drive goals to gain confidence. And the biggest change of all is rookie drafts. The scouting is so much different and "steals" are far harder to come by. The best I've found is a mid-second round player that, after I scouted his three attributes, gave him a late-first round grade. If you have found a better way to scout than pretty much scouting everyone at a given position, please comment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Things I've Noticed in Madden 16

FYI:

This should be in the impressions thread.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 08-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Things I've Noticed in Madden 16

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pressions.html

Closed.