Home

Scouting Tips

This is a discussion on Scouting Tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Scouting Tips

I had last year scouting system down. I always start a CCM with coach and sim 1 year to get overview of changes. Scouting has changed a bit. Last year I could scout every player and still have points left over to get some guys overall. Now this year I cant come close to scouting all the players. Figured this be great spot to give some scouting tips. Good luck in draft!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Scouting Tips

Like to see people idea of scouting. With less points and change of scouting points what is best way to scout. Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Banned

scout pts is way too small
i cant even scout 3-4 players fully in any year
i scout key attributes of each position but until i reveal his ovr, its 50/50 that he turns out to be bust or player i thought he is
Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Rookie

Syncmastr's Arena

One tip for anyone playing more than 1 year in their franchise. As soon as you have the XP, buy the Double Scouting points package for your coach. Its 7500 but will give you twice the scouting points to work with for the rest of your franchise.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddies3angels
Like to see people idea of scouting. With less points and change of scouting points what is best way to scout. Thanks
I didn't play Madden last year, so this is all I know as far as scouting, but what I do is make sure that I scout guys projected in rounds 1-5... you can find some gems in the later rounds, so don't just scout 1st round guys.

Next, let's say I am scouting a DT... I will scout the following:

Strength
Tackle
Stamina
Pursuit
Play Recognition

Acceleration - if I have the points to do so.

But based on those top 5 things, I will know if he's worth taking or not. There are lots of things that I never scout:

Confidence - I found out that nearly every player will be an "F"
Awareness - Same as above
Anything requiring 25 points or more except Personality and I have only done that once.

That makes it very easy. I use 10 and 5 point scouting areas and find out quickly if a guy will fit my schemes. For another example... since I use the Run & Shoot, when scouting an offensive lineman, first thing I scout is Pass Blocking, next is Run Blocking and then Impact Blocking and then Strength and then Stamina.

If an O-Lineman is C in Pass or Run blocking, I will stop right there. I can see if I had a 28-year old stud at LT and was looking for a LT to develop over the next 4 years, then I would look at a guy with "C" for Pass Blocking... but so far, I haven't been that lucky! LOL

So I use the above method and it's worked out great for me.

The only time I scouted a player almost - key word there is: almost - but almost completely was when I was the Raiders and moving to Houston. Since I simmed the Raiders final season in Oakland, they went 1-15, giving me the #1 pick in the draft. There was a WR projected as the #25 pick overall.

But he was "A" in Speed, Acceleration, Agility, Catch and Personality. He was "B" in Catch in traffic and Super Catch or whatever it's called. The guy was either "A" or "B" across the board, so I took him #1 and he is a stud! Gerald Goodwin is his name.

Anyway... that's how I do it. Also found a starting LG in round 4. So like I said, make sure you scout guy's projected for the first 5 rounds at least. And sometimes you can go two or three weeks without scouting, so you can have more points to explore their abilities with.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
Rookie

rushinplayallgame's Arena

heres best scouting tip, trade your picks for players and sign rookie free agents with high consistency, they might have the dev. trait, i signed a free agent rookie MLB who had a lower overall than my 1st round pick but had the dev. trait, started them next to each other in a 3-4 and at the end of the season his overall was +4 over my 1st round pick, scouting is worthless, because even blowing 500 points on one players overall doesn't tell you how they will end up, i just trade picks for players whose traits I can see, all my picks were 60-70 overall nutsacks who wouldn't develop.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:15 AM   #7
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

I Look for 1-2 very specific ratings for each position and scout those first. Then move to the rest of the categories afterward. For example:

QB: Deep Throw Accuracy
WR: Release
TE: Release/Route Running
OL: Impact Blocking/Pass Blocking
LB: Play Recognition
CB: Press
FS/SS: Play Recognition

Every player below a B in any of these categories, I ignore.
Then I take those players and scout physical attributes until I run out. I don't start scouting until after the season, so I can get it done in one sitting and write down my targets for each round. Generally, I find that these are the more 'polished' prospects and the tend to have high ratings in the other key areas, but I sometimes check to make sure.

I've done this for 2 drafts now--one test CFM and a real CFM.

I got 2 6'6 WRs rated 77 and 75, a 76 Center with quick dev, a QB of the future rated 75 with quick dev, a 2nd QB with a rating of 72 in the Strong Arm scheme, an 80 CB with Quick Dev and 91 Press, a 72 OVR SS and a 69 OVR SS with Superstar Dev. My only miss was when I couldn't find my guy and selected a 67 OVR RT in the 6th.

I had every QB in the draft scouted for DAC, all CBs until the projected 6th-rounders scouted for press and all C's scouted for their stats. I correctly identified the best CB before the draft and got him in the 4th (projected 5th). I never traded a player from my roster, only picks. I ended up with no 2nd rounder because I traded my 4th Overall for a 10th and 16th. Traded the 16th for a 27th, a 3rd and an extra 4th.

This was a one-person online CFM, so I couldn't do the 'stop, reload after scouting' that some people do and I still scouted nearly 70 (yes, 70) players well enough to know what I wanted. I had 17 players targeted on a 'Big Board' of sorts based on where I would be picking and never deviated from my plan, even with that RT.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #8
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

One thing I thought was funny:

My stud Center? Stephen Colbert

I changed his college to South Carolina lol

Last edited by allhailben7; 09-10-2014 at 03:20 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »