Home

I think NG vs CG proves my theory

This is a discussion on I think NG vs CG proves my theory within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
I think NG vs CG proves my theory

Before we start, let me note that I don't care about shiny graphics, I'm an on the field guy, so if you want shiny graphics discussion find another thread because you're going to be bored in this one.

My theory has always been that the reason CG Madden wasn't running on systems that could handle the calculations needed to make the most of the pieces of the game actually work the way they were supposed to.

Seriously, if you're playing the NG, start really paying attention to what's going on. We obviously know the game is playing better, but what about it plays better? How is it different from CG?

I think the simple answer is that, because of the increased calculations and resources usable by the NG systems, we're finally seeing the Madden we were promised on CG.

Thing about the last time you hit a WR as the ball got there on CG; What was the outcome? I think we all have this pretty good notion of what would happen. It was very limited, even with sliders. With sliders, he may not ever catch the ball instead of dropping it on the hit. Now go pay close attention to the same play on the NG game; Do you notice how much more interaction their is between the defender, the receiver and the ball? Do you see how it is actually being calculated if it should be a completion or not? Don't you love how the ball can get tipped up in the air and picked off!

Think about your defenders against the TEs and backs now. In the CG game, how limited was the interaction between your LBers and CBs vs those positions? Did it not feel like that those defenders were committed to one decision after the snap of the ball? They would make an initial reaction to the TE/back and then play off that initial reaction the rest of the play would they not? Then the coverage was awful, there was a breakdown constantly on TEs and backs. Why was that? Did it not just feel like the computer couldn't handle dealing with the the multiple parts of the coverage with the defender? Then put in your NG game, and it feels like the defenders make intelligent decisions as individuals! It's awesome!

Earlier I was playing a game and a OLB was covering the interior of the field, and a WR went across the middle while a TE ran an our route. As the WR got their the OLB picked him up as he came towards the zone, I saw this and passed to the TE as he made his break. Instead of waiting for the pass to complete the OLB dropped off the WR, reacted to the pass and deflected the pass into the air and it was picked off. I was stunned! I threw the ball before it was out of his reach, and he made a play. It was great.

If this theory is indeed correct every game play guy on the planet should be super stoked for this heading forward. We might be finally seeing the game the way the devs have intended us to see it. It's not perfect by any means, but it just took a big step in the right direction IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I think NG vs CG proves my theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Before we start, let me note that I don't care about shiny graphics, I'm an on the field guy, so if you want shiny graphics discussion find another thread because you're going to be bored in this one.

My theory has always been that the reason CG Madden wasn't running on systems that could handle the calculations needed to make the most of the pieces of the game actually work the way they were supposed to.

Seriously, if you're playing the NG, start really paying attention to what's going on. We obviously know the game is playing better, but what about it plays better? How is it different from CG?

I think the simple answer is that, because of the increased calculations and resources usable by the NG systems, we're finally seeing the Madden we were promised on CG.

Thing about the last time you hit a WR as the ball got there on CG; What was the outcome? I think we all have this pretty good notion of what would happen. It was very limited, even with sliders. With sliders, he may not ever catch the ball instead of dropping it on the hit. Now go pay close attention to the same play on the NG game; Do you notice how much more interaction their is between the defender, the receiver and the ball? Do you see how it is actually being calculated if it should be a completion or not? Don't you love how the ball can get tipped up in the air and picked off!

Think about your defenders against the TEs and backs now. In the CG game, how limited was the interaction between your LBers and CBs vs those positions? Did it not feel like that those defenders were committed to one decision after the snap of the ball? They would make an initial reaction to the TE/back and then play off that initial reaction the rest of the play would they not? Then the coverage was awful, there was a breakdown constantly on TEs and backs. Why was that? Did it not just feel like the computer couldn't handle dealing with the the multiple parts of the coverage with the defender? Then put in your NG game, and it feels like the defenders make intelligent decisions as individuals! It's awesome!

Earlier I was playing a game and a OLB was covering the interior of the field, and a WR went across the middle while a TE ran an our route. As the WR got their the OLB picked him up as he came towards the zone, I saw this and passed to the TE as he made his break. Instead of waiting for the pass to complete the OLB dropped off the WR, reacted to the pass and deflected the pass into the air and it was picked off. I was stunned! I threw the ball before it was out of his reach, and he made a play. It was great.

If this theory is indeed correct every game play guy on the planet should be super stoked for this heading forward. We might be finally seeing the game the way the devs have intended us to see it. It's not perfect by any means, but it just took a big step in the right direction IMO.
Great post Madwolf, NG will truly open up unlimited possibilities and football is a game of so many calculations and reads and what not IRL. Players have to process a lot of things before even the plays starts and then have to react to even more variables once the play starts.

From what I've been reading, a lot of the changes are subtle but very much needed. I was watching a video and saw the wide receiver as he was falling down strip a receiver that is just an insane play which you would never see in CG Madden. It looked organic and free flowing too. There's of course going to be some issues which crop up with shoddy zone coverage or what not but overall I'm pleased with what I'm hearing and I'll probably pick this up.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Rookie

jwagner82's Arena

OVR: 8

I definitely agree. So much better than last gen and i'm slowly realizing it more. I was playing last night, 3rd down, rain game and i'm scrambling out of a collapsed pocket as rg3, Pierre garcon slips, falls, gets back up and see's im scrambling, cuts back to the right and i hit him for a first down. Half the time on last gen they just stood there even if the DB was right on them
Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6

Yep gotta agree with the OP. Lots of little situations during the game re now free flowing and not "forced" to happen. Asante Samuel picked me off in a game yesterday on one of those deep sideline comeback routes and at first i was like noo how he'd make that play but when i went into replay i realized that like a real QB he "looked" open but Asante barely backpedaled and sat on the route like the real Asante does. No skipped animations and no sliding feet just a good football play.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

This is a very good topic and the more I play the more I am seeing things that are wowing me. Today I saw Dez Bryant catch a ball, turn up field and was caught behind by Kuechly. The cool part was that Kuechly grabbed on to him from behind and literally tried to punch the football out from behind Bryant. Was awesome!

I also seen A Dallas receiver catch the ball in the middle of the field and as he is running for the end zone he points at a Db that was covering Dez on the outside calling for a block. Dez sees this and breaks inside to catch his man to make a block to help his teammate get in for a TD. Unbelievable "little things" that are making this game great. I can't be more happy about the decision to hold off on current gen and wait for this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

I know people thought I was joking, being a fanboy, maybe even crazy, but I was being completely serious, Madden 15 is going to be THE game we've been waiting for. If you think these improvements on M25 ng are impressive, this is just the tip of the iceberg as the OP pointed out.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Rookie

aspengc8's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf

The problem is that 2K had no problem doing it 6 years ago. They didn't need 'next gen' hardware...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengc8
The problem is that 2K had no problem doing it 6 years ago. They didn't need 'next gen' hardware...
What does 2k have to do with this thread? The OP didn't mention anything of that nature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »