Home

Will People Adjust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden?

This is a discussion on Will People Adjust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #73
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Will People Adjust to the Pocket in Next-Gen Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
I can assure all of you the new pocket collapse system has a direct and immediate impact on gameplay.

Here are a just a few of the ways it changes the game:

1) It is now critical to read blitzes pre-snap, as slide protection is now a big component of protecting yourself against the blitz.

2) With 5 man protection, you can only block 5 defenders. If they send 6, one will get through. This makes hot routing TE's and RB's in to block another key strategy in running an effective offense.

3) Understanding the concept of a 'hot read' receiver with a short curl, hitch or smoke screen route is often necessary against the blitz.

4) Less time in pocket means less time to go deep. Expect to adapt and hit your check down routes like shallow drags and RB's leaking out into the flat.

There are also huge upgrades in pass defense, making it more important than ever to make good reads.

Rookie and Pro are still pretty safe for the casual, but for everybody else the hope is that they change their play style and employ real football strategies to adapt to the change in direction.

I may be able to play random games online in Madden again. This is huge.

(and btw, this exactly when I meant when i said devs posting to clear up myths and someone said people will believe what they want anyway. of course they will, but now WE know what to expect. Thanks for the feedback Rex)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #74
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsmallville
Rex,

thanks for coming by the forums! This all sounds great. Will d-lineman put their hands up if a QB is throwing a low pass over their heads? Will they knock the ball down?

Thanks!
Players already have this logic but the occurrences are rare: players known for defeats should attempt it more often.

This should be covered under the hood as one of those AI features re knowing their surroundings - true intelligence (I think its called).

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #75
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Players already have this logic but the occurrences are rare: players known for defeats should attempt it more often.

This should be covered under the hood as one of those AI features re knowing their surroundings - true intelligence (I think its called).

This. I've seen a few bat downs at the LOS in current gen so its definitely in there. They actually improved the tipped ball physics over previous years too, I've seen some nice tips in different situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #76
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

While I appreciate the outline of Rex's direction: I still suspect suctioning, and blatant (static) holding that does not get called.

One thing I did value from the pocket vids was the impact of the pushing and shoving in the trenches.

From here I would like to see speed rushes blow by the edges untouched and even thru the A gaps on stunts and blitzes. This is something I could see on M13 at 0 Min speed threshold.

In M25 the roided blocking system actually watered down the effect of the run free tools as it has very much restrained the critical need for ball carry vision and special moves - just beeline to the edge and s-swerve.

The same can be said for next gen trenches if the average blocker continues to maintain his hold with no dynamic footwork in the pocket: sliding and warping to protect the blindside, static holds, tackles leaving their ground only to magnetize w the edge rusher.

There is QB avoidance (still needs work) & RB avoidance: we still need *defender avoidance.

*Defenders must try to avoid and elude blocks, especially those who lack power moves and or cannot win the leverage battle (next gen logic).

The pocket must collapse and it peeves me to oftentimes see it so flat and "static" -- the o-line tackles must bend and dig deep (rex knows this).

Instead of the warped blitz pickups and overdosed static holds: why not allow us to use the qb avoidance tool?

This is football and the same kids who play Madden also play COD and Halo - I am sure they can handle the violence of the game and "war" in the trenches.

→I wish the trench battle were more arcade like: implement some nfl blitz + battlefield tech.

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 11-08-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 0
where the HELL is the gameplay videos for this game it come out next week !!! EA still on that Bull**** !!! is the game not ready yet???? Sould bee all kinds of videos by now!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #78
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5
I say they should make it as realistic as possible and if the casual/arcade gamers don't like it then tough. They all watch football. They all realise that rolling out on every play doesn't happen.

I think they'll adjust, and to be honest a lot of casual fans might be glad for the changes as it will look more like real football. In past years I've tried to make a conscious effort to pass more from the pocket but if we're forced to do so in the name of realism then I'm all for it.

Also, it will mean that if people do want to run a lot, for once they'll have to be smarter about it which will make a great Michael Vick play a lot more rewarding.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #79
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

As long its fun, people will play it. We all know real football is fun. If they recreate real football it will be fun.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #80
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Im not sold their will be a real pocket in this game. Its probably another half done, over hyped feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »