Home

EA/NFL Negotiating Extension...

This is a discussion on EA/NFL Negotiating Extension... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-06-2024, 03:48 PM   #1
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
EA/NFL Negotiating Extension...

Not that this is any big surprise, just thought I would share...

https://insider-gaming.com/ea-nfl-ne...on-for-madden/

Quote:
For nearly 20 years, when it comes to simulation football games, there is only one option: EA Sports and Madden NFL. EA has had an exclusive license agreement with the NFL since December 2004, making the Madden franchise the sole game in town. Sure, there have been other football games since then, but nothing like what was around in the early 2000s when fans had games like NFL Fever and NFL 2K as alternatives to Madden. But now, as the exclusive contract between EA and the NFL gets close to the end of the current agreement, many have been wondering whether that’s about to change.

The current deal was signed as an extension back in 2020 for $1.5 billion, and it goes through the 2025 season. There is an option to extend it by a year through 2026 if target revenue was hit, and, by all estimations, that target has been. So what we’re looking at is a contract that expires in two years.

That two year window is the same point in time when EA and the NFL announced their last extension of the Madden license. So, where is the current one?
Quote:
Sources have indicated to Insider Gaming that discussions between EA and the NFL have been on-going regarding the future of the game and the license. It’s said that talks began later than in the past for a variety of reasons, including concern from the league if remaining exclusive with one company was the best option.

The league has been well aware of the public reception to the franchise the past few years. And one thing they don’t like is when the shield is viewed in any sort of negative light. That meant there was added pressure from not only within EA to deliver but from the NFL as well.

After the issues that plagued Madden 23, last year’s Madden 24 was viewed as a make-or-break game from all aspects. Internally, it wasn’t going to just come down to how much money the game made in initial sales, but how well it did in retaining players throughout the year.
Quote:
The game ultimately “exceeded all expectations” in terms of both revenue and player base. Through July 2024, 11 months after the game’s release, Madden 24 remained a top 10 game on both Xbox and PlayStation in weekly average users (WAU). While Madden Ultimate Team is a big reason for that, the internal belief is that if the game “wasn’t good at all” people would’ve left by then. Sources went as far to say that Madden 24 was felt by many as a “turning point” for the franchise with a “feeling that Madden 25 will kickstart things in a bigger way”.
Quote:
Going back to the contract discussions, many who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the nature of the subject say that they believe an agreement on a new contract will come within the next 12-18 months.

“We have no reason to believe we won’t still have the exclusive license,” said one source.

Another said, “At the end of the day, Madden is making more and more money each year for both EA and the NFL. The sales continue to go up, and it would be crazy to not have the deal continue.”

Of course, there is the idea that Madden’s numbers are only what they are because of the exclusive license. Fans who want to play as their favorite NFL team or player really have no other choice if they want a realistic game.

“That’s just the way it is right now. What do they want us to say?” one person with EA said, adding that they don’t mean anything negative by it.

Every source who spoke was adamant, though, that the developers care about what the players want. They aren’t just trying to get by with each game. They are actively doing what they can in the time they have between releases.

“We honestly do want players to love the game each year,” one said. “We know we aren’t going to make everyone happy, but our goal with each game is to make it better than the last and have more people enjoy it than the year before. People can believe what they want, but we really do care about the game we are putting out there.”

As far as the possibility of losing the exclusive rights to allow more simulation games from competitors, I was told, “It’s not impossible, but there’s honestly no way someone else could compete with us for the rest of this generation and possibly into the next one due to the timing of the deal and how long it takes to make a game like this.

“We’re not worried.”

Neither EA nor the NFL returned multiple requests for official comment on the state of the agreement and negotiations.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2024, 05:00 PM   #2
MVP

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: EA/NFL Negotiating Extension...

I can't believe we're coming up on 20 years of this bull****.

I wish I could peek into the alternate timeline where EA actually had competition. We'd probably have genius-level AI and ****en VR Superstar mode with haptic bodysuits and ****.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:12 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Not surprised. Would love to see the license opened up so we could have multiple options. I would have agreed with the source in the article that Madden 24 was a turning point if they had not neglected fixing the play calling issues with the CPU. While the game still needed work in many areas, like getting the existing penalties working and adding all the missing ones from the game, it still was an improvement in essentially every area they worked on and it was a good step in the right direction.

It's issues like the 3-4 depth chart issues and the play calling issues that then take it back two steps. I don't think EA is full of lazy people. I do think that they have leadership issues at varying levels. I also feel that if there was competition it would add additional pressure that would potentially force management to be more focused and not allow issues like those mentioned above to pop up and go unfixed for an entire game's life cycle.

― Plato
Old 08-07-2024, 01:20 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I don't think EA is full of lazy people. I do think that they have leadership issues at varying levels.
I agree. I think the biggest problem is that they are forced to make a game every year although Madden needs to be rebuild from the scratch to get rid off all the old code in this game, but the leadership from EA and the NFL need their cash cow every year. And why should they think different? The people are buying it, no matter how bad the game is. It's the only NFL game and the people love football.

What I find kind of funny are the following lines:

Quote:
The league has been well aware of the public reception to the franchise the past few years. And one thing they don’t like is when the shield is viewed in any sort of negative light. That meant there was added pressure from not only within EA to deliver but from the NFL as well.
If they do care about the public reception they would open the license for more developers. Madden 24 has a metacritic score of 65 and a user score (for whatever it's worth) of 1.6. This is abysmal and it has been for years.
They obviously only care about how many players are still in Ultimate Team at the end of the year.

It would be so awesome to have more competition, even if the next not-EA NFL game would take 3-4 years to develop, but I don't think there is any chance that this would happen in the foreseeable future.
Old 08-07-2024, 01:33 AM   #5
Rookie

I'm going to be that person today!

Interesting how 2k has been taking so long on that arcade game 😁.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2024, 09:07 AM   #6
Rookie

Monopolies should be illegal, all of them.
Old 08-07-2024, 09:26 AM   #7
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

2k have some self respect
You did all that kissing up
2k got their foot in NFL House
Blah blah blahhhhhbh
And still got kicked out like
Boom Tech!!!fresh-prince-uncle-phil.gif

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2024, 09:28 AM   #8
Pro

This has always been my thought with this:

2k lost an opportunity. Instead of just throwing in the towel they could have used this as an opportunity to create a generic sim style football game. Yes, I know they tried with APF and I know there have been others out there that failed. APF was a good game; what killed it was the lack of franchise mode.

The other failed games (ie Backbreakers, Maxim) were just bad games. But with 2k resources, that generic game would have worked... especially if it was released in summer and not try to compete head-to-head w/ madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »